Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big 4 Advice Needed!

Options
  • 15-04-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

Back in October I interviewed with a member of the big 4 for a place in their graduate program starting the following September. I was successful and signed a contract with them.

Now, 6 months down the line, I've decided that the area I applied for (Tax) is not really the area that I'd like to specialize in and I'd much prefer to move over to Audit, specifically industry audit rather than financial services audit.

Does anyone know if this is possible or has anyone heard of people changing streams that they initially applied for before they start?

Really not sure what the best way to approach it is! Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

TBYA12 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anything could offer me some advice.

Back in October I interviewed with a member of the big 4 for a place in their graduate program starting the following September. I was successful and signed a contract with them.

Now, 6 months down the line, I've decided that the area I applied for (Tax) is not really the area that I'd like to specialize in and I'd much prefer to move over to Audit, specifically industry audit rather than financial services audit.

Does anyone know if this is possible or has anyone heard of people changing streams that they initially applied for before they start?

Really not sure what the best way to approach it is! Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Get onto hr asap and explain your reasons. They are usually fairly accommodating this early, esp given what the markets like. Most are still hiring so it should be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Definitely get back on to whoever in HR you were dealing with. I know quite a few people who switched from audit to tax and vice versa before they started. As long as you're giving them loads of notice & there hasn't been a huge transfer (thus messing with the numbers for the departments) then it should be ok I'd think.

In terms of the section of audit - I didn't get a say in which one I went into. They did ask us preference but it didn't guarantee anything. To be honest, having a financial services background in audit hasn't stopped me pursuing opportunities in non-fs industry so I wouldn't let that worry you overmuch. Do give a preference though but doesn't mean it'll be where you're assigned in the end. Good luck

Advertisement