Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player of the season

Options
  • 15-04-2016 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭

Who in your mind gets it? So many contenders, Alderweirld, Alli, Lloris, Kane but my own choice is Dier.

He's the type of player you build a team around. We all were optimistic of him playing midfield and he was very shaky at first, got lots of cards but is now the very solid backbone of our midfield. One of the first names on the teamsheet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

We had a lot of really good players in our team this year. Dembele and Ali were massive. For me it's Harry Kane. There was a lot of pressure on his shoulders and he handled it so well. Kane scored 22 prem league goals and he gives a lot more than goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Toby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

tippspur wrote: »
    Toby.

+1

Best defensive signing in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

irishmover wrote: »
    +1

Best defensive signing in a long long time.

Toby for me, absolutely outstanding all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Can a mod make a poll, can't add it when I edit it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Alderweireld no question for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭golfball37

How refreshing that we have lots of candidates this year.
    Toby for me wins it just. We needed his impact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

golfball37 wrote: »
    How refreshing that we have lots of candidates this year.
    Toby for me wins it just. We needed his impact

Dier has been a revelation, Kane top class, Lamela has made a serious contribution, lloris is world class, verts was awesome, wimmer was great, so many great performers this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I think Kane deserves massive credit for recovering from a fairly poor start in terms of goals.

Could only be Today though

• Advertisement

I'm surprised so little mentions of Dembele, he's been really impressive. Coincidentally our losses have all been when he's not been playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Toby for me. Phenomenal really. His composure, aerial ability, timing, positioning, tackling, lack of fouls and cards. He really is the complete package. What a huge acquisition for the club. The knock on effect to the like of Vertonghen, Walker and Rose is another factor. He adds the stability the likes of these players needed. Often we've seen them drift in games and we would have conceded 3 or 4 easily. Made it so comfortable for Wimmer aswell to come into the team mid season, although he was an accomplished defender in the Bundesliga I cant help but feel he bedded so well because of Tobys influence. So important to have a solid defense and its a long long time since we have. Possibly Naybet and King era?! I'm sure Ledley looks on wishing he had the likes of him beside him years ago! Maybe his knees could have held up!

Kane is obviously exceptional aswell, lot of pressure on him this season from the media, England, ourselves, everywhere really and considering we didn't have back up in that area to add to that pressure, he really has shown what a talent he is. After the rough start people were quick with the one season wonder tag. He has definitely debunked that. A proper centre forward and plays the role perfectly. His connections with Alli and Eriksen is so natural aswell it makes them a serious threat. Long may it continue.

For me though and a very close second was Dembele. Happy he's been getting some mentions aswell. Dembele has been extraordinary this season. Really has shone in that role. Needed a Dier type player to sit and give him a little more freedom. I felt when he first arrived he was seen too much as a replacement for Modric and although there are certain similarities, Dembele is just a monster in the middle. He dictates a lot of what goes on in the midfield. He breaks up a lot of chances defensively and draws in players gliding past 2 or 3 with ease to create space for others. Not been directly involved in too many goals but his work rate and the effect he has on the team when playing in the middle is vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,639 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Kane, followed by Toby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

By my count Toby is running away with it. I wonder if it'll be the same come awards at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I think Toby just about, he really couldn't have been any better and he may actually be world class.

Kane a close second, so much pressure on him. I was only hoping he'd be close to the player he was last season, but he's probably been even better.

Dembele third. A colossus. He kinda replaced Modric. I know they're very different so I won't compare. Hope this season turns out to be the rule and not the exception.

There are 5 or 6 others who would've been strong contenders in previous seasons.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Dier, pointed him out early on and hasn't disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I love the art of defending. Another vote for Alderweireld, total pro. Was bought for 11.5 million, what's his value now? Hopefully he'll end his career with us.

Pochettino, for transforming the club. The dead wood, the previous stale humdrum attitude. You can't buy that.

Paul Merson is raving about us for next season...

Looking ahead to next season, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Liverpool all need players. Tottenham only need a few fringe players, they don't need players to go straight into the team. I really think they are well up there again next season, one of the favourites.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Alderweireld for me as well. We've been able to score goals for a while now, but we've been weak at the back. He's made a massive difference in our mentality, and we looks rick solid the vast majority of the time. Definitely the best CB in the league this year. Vertongen also looks so much better when partnered with him.

Kane, Lloris and Dembele would also be up there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Toby,pretty much 1/2 the goals we conceded last season (bonus of scoring n creating some goals)... defensive kingpin in Pouch's team (Dier, Musa,Erickson and Kane get honourable mention).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Toby

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

another vote for toby shame we didnt sign him years ago

Advertisement