Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company not Fixing Fire Alarm

Options
  • 15-04-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

I rent an apartment where the fire alarm has stopped working.
    Last week the whole block alarmed, but my apartment's alarm didn't go off.

I reported this to the management company for the apartments, but they keep fobbing me off with excuses.

I am worried that I won't hear the alarm in the event of a fire.

Is there anything I can do besides sending them reminders via email and calls?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Report it to

fireprevention@dublincity.ie
    Buildingcontrol@dublincity.ie

If the units are in Dublin of course.

But, it may be a landlord problem and not a management company problem. The landlord needs to engage with the MC to figure out where the connection between the apartment detector/sounder has disconnected from the buildings system.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

kceire wrote: »
    Report it to

fireprevention@dublincity.ie
    Buildingcontrol@dublincity.ie

If the units are in Dublin of course.

But, it may be a landlord problem and not a management company problem. The landlord needs to engage with the MC to figure out where the connection between the apartment detector/sounder has disconnected from the buildings system.

Thank you!

Yes I am in Dublin.

The management company have already admitted that they are responsible for fixing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is there a number on the fire alarm panel in the common areas? Can you call the company directly? The management company should have a service contract with a fire alarm company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

In the mean time you might mitigate your fears by installing a smoke alarm in your apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I presume it's the management agent you have been in touch with not the MC? If so find out who directors of MC are and advise them of failure of the agent to deal with the issue. If renting, inform your landlord as I'm sure they will want an issue over fire and safety resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If renting, inform your landlord as I'm sure they will want an issue over fire and safety resolved.
    Either way, I wonder if there's a clause in the apartment insurance regarding needing a working fire alarm?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Your apt by law should have an internal smoke alarm & a sounder connected to the buildings common areas smoke alarm,both have to be working & are incredibly important.

You are trying to deal with your MA, inform the MC as well & pushh for this to be resolved.

Advertisement