Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4G Wifi Router

Options
  • 14-04-2016 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so I have a vodafone 4g mobile broadband device. I think it is R200 or something like that. It is small black thing that creates a little wifi area for connecting devices. It replaced an older USB thing I had which plugged into side of laptop

I have a holiday home and no landline in it was and was going to use the Vodafone device but the wifi coverage is very poor.

Was wondering is there a wireless router you can use for this? More or less stick the sim into it and it creates a large wifi area?

Dont want to spend huge money as just used every so often.....Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Moved to Midband from Mobiles

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

If the USB dongle that you used with your laptop is 4G capable, I would suggest getting a router like the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003WK62OS

This router (TL-MR3420) has a USB socket that you can plug your USB dongle into and it shares it over Wi-Fi similar to a DSL Wi-Fi router.

The next best option would be to get a second hand dedicated 4G router such a Huawei B593S-22. These have much better Wi-Fi range as well as a much more sensitive 3G/4G antenna than the compact MiFi units. The B593S-22 can be obtained for around €100 used on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I use a BT wifi extender with my mifi.. and despite all negative reviews it works like a dream and spreads out coverage in the whole house which I hope is slightly bigger than your holiday home ;)
    I bought a dual band extender but with speeds I am getting I don't think it actually requires dual band . If you don't get speeds higher than 30Mbps I believe you are probably alright with single band. Having said that, most of the ones on amazon now are dual band.

I would second Sean's suggestion of the MR3420 as well though, but make sure you get the v2 as the v1 I have doesn't support 4G or the VF yokes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

editorsean wrote: »
    If the USB dongle that you used with your laptop is 4G capable, I would suggest getting a router like the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003WK62OS

This router (TL-MR3420) has a USB socket that you can plug your USB dongle into and it shares it over Wi-Fi similar to a DSL Wi-Fi router.

The next best option would be to get a second hand dedicated 4G router such a Huawei B593S-22. These have much better Wi-Fi range as well as a much more sensitive 3G/4G antenna than the compact MiFi units. The B593S-22 can be obtained for around €100 used on eBay.

I have R212 the same as picture

http://blog.vodafone.co.uk/2013/07/01/vodafone-r212-mobile-wi-fi/

I guess if I use the cable that I use to connect to laptop it will work as well?

I use a BT wifi extender with my mifi.. and despite all negative reviews it works like a dream and spreads out coverage in the whole house which I hope is slightly bigger than your holiday home ;)
    I bought a dual band extender but with speeds I am getting I don't think it actually requires dual band . If you don't get speeds higher than 30Mbps I believe you are probably alright with single band. Having said that, most of the ones on amazon now are dual band.

I would second Sean's suggestion of the MR3420 as well though, but make sure you get the v2 as the v1 I have doesn't support 4G or the VF yokes..

THanks, any links/model number for the BT?

• Advertisement

I guess this would do same job, just wonder is you can plug in cable and not the USB stick device in direct]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-MR3020-Portable-Wireless-Router/dp/B00634PLTW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460788511&sr=8-3&keywords=4g+wireless+router

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I guess this would do same job, just wonder is you can plug in cable and not the USB stick device in direct]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-MR3020-Portable-Wireless-Router/dp/B00634PLTW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1460788511&sr=8-3&keywords=4g+wireless+router

Yes, it would , but with a but... I don't think it picks up a wifi signal so you need to be close to your mifi to stick the cable in. The yokes I am talking about you put in a socket a good distance away and therewith you improve the overall range in the house. With the TP link you simply add a stronger wifi signal, but the wifi extender should actually give you greater coverage.
    I have a foot print of around 2600 sq ft plus an upstairs and with extender plugged in I cover every room in the house (some by the actual mifi and some by the extender) with at least 4 bars and no speed loss

This is the kind of yoke I have- they come cheaper as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi-Extender-600/dp/B00D84GVN0?ie=UTF8&keywords=bt%20extender&qid=1460812303&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Remember the guy in maplins telling me, that I would be back the next day returning it... :) That was over a year ago, never looked back. It works and does exactly what it supposed to do.

Yes, it would , but with a but... I don't think it picks up a wifi signal so you need to be close to your mifi to stick the cable in. The yokes I am talking about you put in a socket a good distance away and therewith you improve the overall range in the house. With the TP link you simply add a stronger wifi signal, but the wifi extender should actually give you greater coverage.
    I have a foot print of around 2600 sq ft plus an upstairs and with extender plugged in I cover every room in the house (some by the actual mifi and some by the extender) with at least 4 bars and no speed loss

This is the kind of yoke I have- they come cheaper as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi-Extender-600/dp/B00D84GVN0?ie=UTF8&keywords=bt%20extender&qid=1460812303&ref_=sr_1_10&sr=8-10

Remember the guy in maplins telling me, that I would be back the next day returning it... :) That was over a year ago, never looked back. It works and does exactly what it supposed to do.

You are talking about a repeater, so it takes the wifi signal and just boosts it. I used them before the the performance is poor because you are adding additional ms onto the device to repeat the signal.

You would be better with the powerline adapter like the below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Smartphone/dp/B00DHB2T44/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1460831663&sr=8-6&keywords=powerline

This extends the network via power cables and then creates a wifi area from the adapter. You would get better performance.

It does depend on what you are using internet for, if general browsing you wont notice the affects of a repeater. If using for streaming I would say it would affect buffering.

Thanks for info thou!!!

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    because you are adding additional ms onto the device to repeat the signal.

You made me think as I haven't noticed any drop in performance for the last year or so I have used it. And I do use it for apps where latency plays a role.

So I just checked and actually I went to the opposite side of the house from where the mifi is, so I know I am connected through the repeater, and my pings vary between 25 and 30 ms whereas if I stand next to mifi pings are always 29ms. So i wouldn't necessarily say it adds ms. What you are saying makes a lot of scientific sense though, so I was also a bit surprised. Maybe my house is indeed where the magic happens...

Advertisement