Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extraneous Punctuation

Options
  • 14-04-2016 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

As far back as the Roman times text speak has been a thing; certain greetings and salutations were abbreviated for convenience. Churchill was well known for inventing his own abbreviations in his writing and he won a Nobel prize for Literature.

I completely understand the confusion with grammar also. The English language is easy to learn but tough to master. Spelling, smhelling! What I don't get is the overuse or the frequent misuse of punctuation. There's only 14 of the feckers and we use only about half of them. While using txt spk makes you sound like a borderline moron I can at least understand it's used for brevity's sake. Why oh why do people then add in extra punctuations marks.

'John wen u cumming over...????' is almost as many characters a 'John, when are you coming over?'. What is with the inventing of new ones too? What the feck is ',,,' meant to mean? I understand genuine mistakes there are at least 4 above but why do people seem to seek to express themselves as stupid? Is this an example of intelligence being seen as 'uncool' and 'not fitting in'?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sometimes my phone gets upset when I try to type !!! and does ,,, instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,127 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wot r u talken bout bud?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Using commas instead of apostrophes.

I,m not sure if it,s a sign that you,re lazy or you don,t know the difference, but it,s incredibly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Recently saw a sign in a shop window: "Electronic's".

Discussion here on getting rid of apostrophes:
    The apostrophe has long been a polarizing issue among otherwise rational people. George Bernard Shaw, a vocal critic of English spelling, wrote cant and hes instead of can’t and he’s, arguing that the apostrophe was entirely redundant: ‘There is not the faintest reason for persisting in the ugly and silly trick of peppering pages with these uncouth bacilli’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement