Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ETB Schools - funding, allocations etc

Options
  • 14-04-2016 3:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows how funding works in ETB schools? Obviously, like all schools, they receive a teacher allocation according to the PTR and any other eligible criteria such as DEIS status, programmes run (TY etc). Then capitation fees etc.

What I'm wondering is whether there is some sort of pooling of funds at ETB level? Would it ever be a case of schools drawing from a general fund of a certain value when paying teachers? Rather than using "hours" available either through general allocation, resource, substitution due to absence etc.

A comment made recently by management in my school made me wonder. The suggestion was that it was advantageous to the school to use recently qualified teachers for certain types of cover, or even timetabled work, rather than more expensive more experienced teachers. As if this would allow them do more with the funding available.

Obviously I understand that more experienced teachers will cost more in salary payments to the state, but I had thought schools were working from an allocation of hours rather than a specific budget, in terms paying teachers.

Advertisement