Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help working out odds....

Options
  • 13-04-2016 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi, is there anyone who can help with a little statistics calculation. What are the odds of random clicks on a machine spelling out MA in morse code? I don't even know if my question is worded correctly or if this calculation can be done. I assume there are 26 letter in morse code.. Maybe random clicks is an infinite number and it's impossible to work out the odds of two random clicks sounding like dots and dashes that representing two consecutive letters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

I run a Paranormal group and I am trying to debunk a theory that somebody's mobile phone, that is making clicking sounds, is spelling out 'Ma' in morse code ie it was just a coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is no way to work out probability of random clicks on a device . if you reduced it to "coin toss" probability with dash and dot being heads and tails, it wouldn't be unusual at all but it says more about the perception of the person making the "observation" . Maybe "ma" should type in text next time :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

Cheers, thanks for your reply, appreciated, I2G

Advertisement