Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV

Options
  • 13-04-2016 8:30pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My sons architect has specified solar PV on his plans for a new build. I know how solar tubes work and have a vague idea of the workings of PV.

How is solar PV utilised in a domestic house? Is it just supplying power for an immersion/s?

Would like to know more about it please.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wearb wrote: »
    My sons architect has specified solar PV on his plans for a new build. I know how solar tubes work and have a vague idea of the workings of PV.

How is solar PV utilised in a domestic house? Is it just supplying power for an immersion/s?

Would like to know more about it please.

It's electricity it'll run your fridge, freezer, tv, water etc.

Much more practical than a system that just gives you hot water that you don't need most of the time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks for reply Ted. Does it need complicated (expensive) electronics and batteries to power those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

I used to install solar systems abroad and the most popular size for a family home was 5kw, the largest we did was a 20kw for a small supermarket for fridges/freezers. When the panels are producing electricity you need to get in the habit of using it so for example using your washing machine during the day, I worked on over 100 installations but never did a battery system/stand alone install as they were a lot more expensive at the time.

He told me that they have come down a lot. He is going to have 16 panels on the roof. After that he doesn't know how it is utalized and I don't want to be pestering him with such questions. He now awaiting planning permission, fingers crossed.
    Oh I forgot to mention that the architect recommended air to water heating, but said that heat loss would be very little anyway.

That's probably a 4kw, generally 250w per panel, we were supplying and installing 5kw for the equivalent of 5000e,however installation was very easy as 90% of the jobs were single storey and steel roofs, slate roofs are more time consuming.

I'm working in the uk since I've come home and noticed a lot of domestic installs so people are obviously getting good results, the excess electricity is sold back to the grid in Australia which is a great incentive to go ahead with it.

• Advertisement

Seeing as it can't be sold to grid here, how difficult is it to utilise that 4kw?

It all depends on what your using and how you use it, tvs/cookers/showers, when we finished a job the meter would change direction as the system would start producing over 3.5kw on average and up to 5 when conditions were perfect, any power used at night was paid for and outside of the system, a battery system was nearly ten times the price at the time and only really worthwhile for homes in the outback, the dc invertor will still require 230v to run the system.

"the dc invertor will still require 230v to run the system."

What are the implications of the above? Does it mean that mains power is needed for it to function? Can it supply house power during an outage?

Yes it needs mains power to run, this is how a grid connect system works if your wanting use during a power outage then your going down the road of a stand alone system/battery banks which is a lot more expensive, I would be very suprised if there is any home in the country running a stand alone system.

i would imagine the kit below or similar is what is being installed which is a grid connect system.

http://www.jtmpower.ie/4kw-solar-pv-kit-monocrystalline.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 andrewdj409

I know that if you're in the Munster region, <mod snip> are reliable and registered installers.
    I know someone who got the full grant through SEAI with battery storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pocc7777gmail

hi could anyone tell me where i can get the following re a 5 kw solis hybrid inverter. Type-test certification EN 50549/ EN 50549-1:2019/AC:2019-04

i need it to register my nc6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Your supplier will provide it and your electrician will submit the NC6. Is this not what you are doing?

Advertisement