Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saabs

Options
  • 13-04-2016 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Is there any reason not to buy a Saab these days. I know they went bust but assume parts etc are not an issue?
    considering something like this:
    Saab 9-3 griffin estate 2011 (can't post links)

Never driven a Saab so any advice welcome thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

97golf wrote: »
    Is there any reason not to buy a Saab these days. I know they went bust but assume parts etc are not an issue?

Driving the one myself, albeit much older than you're thinking (a 2002 93). I really enjoy it as a car. Parts generally not problematic. Lot of GM commonality, the moreso the later the model.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have one too, old model and loving it.
    Can't speak for 2011 MY though.

Here's a few things that may help

YT reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFU5FVBZwU

Carsurvey isn't updated in ages but for other people's info
    http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/saab/9-3/

Carbuyer review
    http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/saab/9_3/saloon-2002-2011/review

More
    http://www.motorauthority.com/overview/saab_9-3_2011

Recalls
    http://repairpal.com/saab/9-3/recalls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I used to have one. Changed at 225,000 miles. If they were still available, I'd buy again. Road holding is superb. Never had any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

It's a Opel with a Saab body so most of the oily bits are interchangeable. There is stock of parts but how long they last is anyone's guess. But then there will always be breaker yards

The fact everyone knows they have gone bust helps buyer get better deal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-3#2011.E2.80.932012
    The 9-3 received some revisions in 2011 for the 2012 model year. Changes were in the engine range with an overall reduction in diesel and petrol engine fuel consumption of 12% and 7% respectively.[31] An entry-level 163 hp, 2.0-litre gasoline / BioPower engine was added for 9-3 saloon, estate, and 9-3X models with Saab XWD

In most markets, car was badged 'Griffin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 97golf

Thanks for the replies. Food for thought. Changing from a bmw 320 so a new brand for me. Might give it a test and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

As far as I remember, when saab went under, one of the guys higher up in management set up a pattern parts business for saab parts, supposedly using saab schematics etc.

However I could have dreamed this too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's a car is love to own, perhaps an 06 9.3, 1.9 TDI
    But I'm cautious about spending on it when I can buy a similarly priced but infinitely less interesting Avensis or Superb.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's a car is love to own, perhaps an 06 9.3, 1.9 TDI
    But I'm cautious about spending on it when I can buy a similarly priced but infinitely less interesting Avensis or Superb.

I've tried an avensis and while the head says it's a sensible option it's just soooo dull to drive! There's a 320 m sport on the shopping list as well...
    Looking at diesel estates with 1.9l or above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I had a 05 93 Vector for about 8 months. Such a nice drive. 48mpg on the motorway. Keep it serviced regularly and you will have no issues. I bought it for 2k and hated selling it.

• Advertisement

Had a 04 9-3 for 10 years, from 06 up to 2 weeks ago, loved it, drove and handled great, but when things went they all went together, airbags, seatbelts, heating system, windows, door wouldn't open and so on. When I was looking around...I realised there is nothing else like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I'm currently on my second SAAB, this time a 2006 95 automatic estate which I bought up north a few months ago and imported. Had a 2000 93 which we drove for 9 years until a truck driver scraped the side of it and wrote it off :(

It's an extremely comfortable, refined, and fast car. I really can't think of any car in its class that would be as comfortable. Maybe a top of the range e-class.

There were serious issues with 900NG and 1st generation 93s (bulkhead separation) and also with 1st generation 95s (sludge). But the newer 95s (06-on) and 93s are largely trouble free. They are great value these days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'mmad to buy a 9-3!! Looking '04 or '05, they look really nice and seem packed with extras, lovely inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Had a 04 9-3 for 10 years, from 06 up to 2 weeks ago, loved it, drove and handled great, but when things went they all went together, airbags, seatbelts, heating system, windows, door wouldn't open and so on. When I was looking around...I realised there is nothing else like them.

Have mine 9 years, also an 06. Love every minute I spend driving it. I won't part with it until it stops working completely. Fortunately I've only 60k miles on the clock so expecting many years yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I have a 06 9-3 1.9TiD (150bhp) vector sport automatic. Great spec like heated seats, sat nav , auto wipers and lifts , aux input and so on.

Great on fuel, cost me able 50-55 to fill it up all the way and that will take me about 500miles approx (city + motorway mixed)

Very comfortable and i found very reliable so far. Mine just went over 100k miles so should be plenty left in her.

Parts are still being made, be it GM or the Chinese company that make them too. I don't think we'll ever have to search scrap yards for spares for these.

Would recommend but the 95 would have more space in the back and boot if that's what you need.

EDIT: mine is automatic and great, triponic too. What i noticed about mine is that its a 6 speed auto where most are 5 speed. Apparently anyway. But it's very good and quiet of your looking for an auto too. A good range of gears etc.

I do get worried when I'm driving 110 - 120kmh at 2000 revs and the thing shifts into 6th down to about 1500revs ! I keep thinking the engine has died !

But on the other side of that it'll do 100MPH comfortably at 2000revs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sound.As a bell,Saab

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Had 2,,no problems,basically an Opel vectra underneath, don't know about the 2011 ones

Have mine 9 years, also an 06. Love every minute I spend driving it. I won't part with it until it stops working completely. Fortunately I've only 60k miles on the clock so expecting many years yet.

Lucky you. Miles ahead in it for you.

When I parted company with mine, there was only about 170k done. It's just that parts alone for all the jobs needed were gonna cost over a grand, labour would bring it up to over €1,500...and a new problem could appear after all that. It still performed very well and I still think it's one of the most attractive cars ever...it's only when I was looking around it dawned on me how ugly other cars are. It left such a void in the market for that sleek look.

Not good considering the huge amount of electrics in the 2011 model!
    Thanks

In US Saab is a hipster or sophisticats brand, in Ireland I suppose a middleclass brand. At least you'll never see a skanger in one.

macklemore-saab-1.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks

Still though, mine lasted 12 years so you'd only have to worry about these things after 2020!

Plus I treated mine pretty badly, was up every dirt track in Kerry, servicing was patchy in recent years and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thanks

IIRC the Saabs had fibre optic connectivity instead of regular wires. They got rid of those in later versions...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

Have a 05 93 TiD (120 bhp) Vector Sport with 105k on the clock. Have it two years now and apart from standard repairs; tyres / brake pads - it has run well.

Ok - there are the standard Saab idiosyncrasies. Rattles from the glove box, creaking from the dash - but I have learned to live with these. A common fault is the cd player, mine has just gone, but has an aux in so the ipod deals with that issue.

I think the car looks great, and is really nice to drive - road holding is great and it is fast enough. Certainly faster, more stable and nimble than my wife's Avensis D4D.

Given the history of the brand they can be picked up relatively cheaply, which was a major factor in choosing one. Would I buy another, yes - the tax on the 05 is hard to swallow, so a post 08 93 is next on the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My dreams of owning one were shook today, as I passed a broken down 04 Saab 9.3 on the side of the road to Donabate with it's bonnet up and a fella staring into the abyss as only people who, due to gender, are expected to know everything at first sight but, in fact, haven't a clue....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 andy1300r

Opel vectra's in drag !! Get one that has'nt been hacked & they are great bang for your buck...Aero models look smart & go like stink !! Even basic 1.8t ( actually a 2.0) is a reasonably good car to drive imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Gasco wrote: »
    Have a 05 93 TiD (120 bhp) Vector Sport with 105k on the clock. .

Pretty sure the vector sport is 150bhp, mine was anyway.
    The nicest driving car I ever had. Comfortable, but with plenty of poke when needed.
    And the gymnastic cup holder rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CrossFlow

Not any reason not to buy a real saab, later gm models do have problems if not maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    I'm currently on my second SAAB, this time a 2006 95 automatic estate which I bought up north a few months ago and imported. Had a 2000 93 which we drove for 9 years until a truck driver scraped the side of it and wrote it off :(

It's an extremely comfortable, refined, and fast car. I really can't think of any car in its class that would be as comfortable. Maybe a top of the range e-class.

There were serious issues with 900NG and 1st generation 93s (bulkhead separation) and also with 1st generation 95s (sludge). But the newer 95s (06-on) and 93s are largely trouble free. They are great value these days too.

Bulkhead separation :eek: when did that get sorted in the 93's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

Pretty sure the vector sport is 150bhp, mine was anyway.
    The nicest driving car I ever had. Comfortable, but with plenty of poke when needed.
    And the gymnastic cup holder rocked.

I thought so too when researching them - but mine is 120 alright.

+1 on the cup holder..a design classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

Barr wrote: »
    Bulkhead separation :eek: when did that get sorted in the 93's ?
    Problem can occur in MYears 98-02
    http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/165961-Bulkhead-cracks-separation-SAAB-93

Also, I believe it's mostly a problem with RHD models.
    Far from a universal occurrence though, and there's an after-market reinforcement strut you can fit that will prevent it if it's not happened already (and improve handling apparently)

Advertisement