Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaints about my teaching????

Options
  • 13-04-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Ok, so I'm teaching 6 years and have had very positive experiences in previous jobs and a number of cases where my teaching has been praised to the DP and Principal. Now I am in a new job since Jan covering another maternity leave but things are not going as smoothly as I like. I am teaching all higher level Maths but straight away from the start I did notice alot of students were punching way above their weights and should really be in Ordinary level so needless to say those students are struggling with the work.
    I have also noticed that the kids seem to be completely spoon fed in the school and want notes for everything that will basically tell them how to do the work but that is impossible and goes totally against what Project Maths is supposed to be about.
    So anyway needless to say I was shocked but probably not surprised when my Principal called me in today and said he had had complaints about my teaching that the kids couldn't understand it and couldn't do their homework.
    So I am looking for advice on how best to salvage this situation to keep my reputation intact so that I will be able to get a decent reference out of the school cause I am very concerned that something like this could easily tarnish a person's reputation and put an end to someone's career.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm teaching 6 years and have had very positive experiences in previous jobs and a number of cases where my teaching has been praised to the DP and Principal. Now I am in a new job since Jan covering another maternity leave but things are not going as smoothly as I like. I am teaching all higher level Maths but straight away from the start I did notice alot of students were punching way above their weights and should really be in Ordinary level so needless to say those students are struggling with the work.
    I have also noticed that the kids seem to be completely spoon fed in the school and want notes for everything that will basically tell them how to do the work but that is impossible and goes totally against what Project Maths is supposed to be about.
    So anyway needless to say I was shocked but probably not surprised when my Principal called me in today and said he had had complaints about my teaching that the kids couldn't understand it and couldn't do their homework.
    So I am looking for advice on how best to salvage this situation to keep my reputation intact so that I will be able to get a decent reference out of the school cause I am very concerned that something like this could easily tarnish a person's reputation and put an end to someone's career.

You poor thing. This is dreadful. Not a maths teacher myself but maybe it's time to get samples of the students class work and test scores and show them to your department head. Show everything you documented. Might be a good idea to get a copy of their grades prior to your arrival to show if they were the same as before. Did your principal say anything of support to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

That's a horrible situation to be in. You come across as very conscientious and I hope the principal realises that. I am neither a secondary teacher nor a maths teacher but I sympathise greatly. Not only are you worried about your reputation within the school, you are also worrying about summer applications, and understandably so. Have you previously had positive interactions with the principal? Can you point to what you have done well -also extracurricular activities that have been a success? Again, not from a secondary perspective but I would imagine that the principal would have a more holistic view of how you are getting on.
    Hopefully something will come up in one of the other schools where they know you and where you were happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

You poor thing. This is dreadful. Not a maths teacher myself but maybe it's time to get samples of the students class work and test scores and show them to your department head. Show everything you documented. Might be a good idea to get a copy of their grades prior to your arrival to show if they were the same as before. Did your principal say anything of support to you?

Yes, in fairness the Principal was supportive but I have to wonder what he is deep down thinking. He said one parent wouldn't give their name and the others (no idea how many/) he didn't tell me who they were. Without their names I don't have much of a chance to make my case. Should I ask for the names?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Redser87 wrote: »
    That's a horrible situation to be in. You come across as very conscientious and I hope the principal realises that. I am neither a secondary teacher nor a maths teacher but I sympathise greatly. Not only are you worried about your reputation within the school, you are also worrying about summer applications, and understandably so. Have you previously had positive interactions with the principal? Can you point to what you have done well -also extracurricular activities that have been a success? Again, not from a secondary perspective but I would imagine that the principal would have a more holistic view of how you are getting on.
    Hopefully something will come up in one of the other schools where they know you and where you were happy!

Yes believe me, to hear it was (although not totally surprising) like getting a kick in the teeth as I am working so hard together in this job and am frequently up till 12.00am/1am putting work together for my classes. My classes are pretty huge aswell (32 in some) so that is an additional challenge on top of the week kids. If I hadn't already taught much of the material to other classes in other schools without problem I would be totally questioning my own ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

You must be exhausted. Was the tone of the meeting more accusatory or advising? Did you get the sense that the principal is on your side and there to support you despite what has been said?

Edit : sorry, just saw your other post. At least you are not being left to sink or swim on your own. Do you think he could offer you some concrete advice? Asking for help and taking it on board would reflect well on you as a reflective practitioner etc, I feel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Yes, in fairness the Principal was supportive but I have to wonder what he is deep down thinking. He said one parent wouldn't give their name and the others (no idea how many/) he didn't tell me who they were. Without their names I don't have much of a chance to make my case. Should I ask for the names?

No but start keeping discipline records, homework records etc and ask to meet him in a months time. Photocopy samples of the best person in the class and the worst and their scores in tests. I would give them worksheets for the next while and work off them as well as the book. Maybe give them an ordinary level worksheet but don't tell them to see the results and just feed it all back to principal. Listen, everyone at some stage in secondary will possibly hear it and its nothing to overly worry about. the work ethic in the class is low so you just need to prove that- even ask for him or her or the maths head to sit in the back of class and see.

If parents are willing to come in and meet you about it or won't give their names, they know exactly that their child isn't working/studying. Seen this all before as a year head.

You obviously have a difficult weak group. Make a project out of them.

Just please don't panic about it and please don't let it put you off the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I know exactly of same situation. Previous teacher 'spoonfed' all the way and told them what to 'do' with notes and algorithms.. If X is asked do y.
    You've probably come in and tried to 'explain' and work on comprehension.. As is the demands of project maths.. While in their heads they are sitting down thinking 'just tell us what we 'do' and give us the formula '.
    Cut back on this ' explaining ' as much as you can, the Olevel ones just won't get it at this stage , the true higher level ones will ask if they are interested (and you can go deaper with them while you're milling around during practice sessions!).

Also... Start talking about 'the exam ',
    . I.e. In the exam you will be asked to do this. I'm sorry, I normally wouldn't recommend doing that if you had a few years ahead of you with a 1st year class, but by now they are set in their ways. but that's my reading of the situation, I'll bet the previous teacher was pure rote/old system.

Also this is the time when it's starting to Dawn on them that HLevel takes serious work and they can't be spoonfed forever, so students being students, they are looking for someone to blame for their difficulties...

Maybe ask other maths teachers who taught Hl previous years how they approached certain topics.. See if there's any differentiation/group work going on..or is it all exam focused.

Maybe a bit of a dressing down,
    or conversely ask them what ' learning strategies' they liked from the previous teacher (but that might be giving them the idea that they control the class).

Any of that ring a bell or am I wide of the mark. It just sounds very familiar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

25 extra points was the worst idea ever! Keep your head up. We've all been there. Best advice is to have a chat with the other Maths teachers in the staffroom. They would be the best people to offer advice as they know the attitudes in your school better than anyone on here

My two cents... In most schools, there are common maths exams at Christmas and Summer. If common tests were administered at any point during the year, how did the range of results in your class(es) compare to others? (Question for you to ask Principal. Not something I expect you to answer here) If you have a record of assessment results, pass them along to the principal too. If you've got a Senior Cycle group, take a look at their JC results. All this point to overall ability and effort put into your subject.

I would focus on student's ability and commitment to work in class, rather than bringing up discipline issues at this time. It may be the case that there is a record of misbehaviour which is relevant to complaints, but until you have been told who is involved it may be better to sit on it.

I would try to find out if classes in your school are streamed? (NOT a question for the principal) Did you get the bottom groups? Are the classes this size because they predict a number of students will drop down during the year? This has happened to me before, and I've also had the small group that other students dropped into. It's really messy and complaints like this are not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭2011abc

What sort of a princiapal deals with allegations from someone who won't give their name ?Principals of Natural Justice obviously don't apply to teachers .They should have been laughed off the phone . Bullying of teachers by parents , children and staff / management so common now it makes a mockery of anti bullying initiatives .
    Head up Sarah , it's not your fault , and for Gods sake get to be before midnight on a school night Cinders ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unsubtantiated anonymous opinions of your work by people who are not even in your classroom?

I'd have the union in there like a shot and tell the Principal where to stick his complaints.

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

What year group are the complaints coming from or is it a number of year groups?

You obviously have good experience behind you, this is the way you teach and students need to some extent adapt to that. The difficulty is that their previous teacher taught a different way. Forget right or wrong but try to tailor your teaching somewhat to students, while bringing them around to your way of teaching.

Explain to them that you are ultimately preparing them for the exam and helping them to think for themselves. I'd have no problem in saying this is what your previous teacher would be doing now and they might not like it but you are doing it for their good. You won't be in the exam and their notes won't be.

I think most students will come around if they see that you truly care that they do well and that you care about them and their learning.

Also something similar happened to me (but I had no experience) 6th years were horrified to have a new teacher and wanted to change from my class. I will always remember my principal (who was fully supportive) telling me to offer to help after school. I must've looked shocked because he added that they never will. And he was right, they never did. To this day it's something I still say and I could probably count on one hand every year the students who come to me. Most of the time they want to misunderstand and challenge your thinking/teaching in class. Funny how they will never do it in their own time. But you can say to parents that you have offered to help outside class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

It sounds like a situation I witnessed at 3rd level where students lodged complaints about a college lecturer who wasn't giving them enough notes.

It didn't go very far beyond a rude awakening for the students and a gruff explanation about independent learning and what university is all about.

I think there's a tendency in Ireland to think that "good teaching" is actually grind school approach of learning notes and teaching the correct formula for exams.

Project maths is supposed to be the polar opposite to that!

All you can do really is keep records and show that you are indeed covering the material. I would suggest maybe having *very* detailed lesson plans and recording details of student interaction and all of those text book things. You'll just need a defensive paper trail.

It reads to me like one or two students simply don't like the new style and have started a mini revolt where they all jump on the bandwagon.

It sounds horrible and stressful but I guess it will just blow over. You seem like you're doing a great job and have a good track record. All you can do is plough on!

Like any public performer, teachers and lecturers will always have their critics in the audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

No experience working as a teacher but I'm a mature student who has done maths, stats and probability modules in college with students just out of LC and they are shockingly spoonfed even in college. I think maths is seen as a difficult subject so they are given the extra help to 'get them through'. They have no initiative, they find it assuming that I had the required reading book one day as the lecturer copies them notes, worksheets and answers for everything.

You are of course completely right in the way you teach, and I have lecturers that of course tell us we have to research this more ourselves but students just fail those modules in high numbers. If this is a risk with your higher maths group you can understand the worry, although it isn't your fault and you should in no way doubt yourself.

The idea that parents are complaining anonymously is absolutely ridiculous. If your child is having issues you go talk to their teacher about it. Not bitch to the principal basically claiming 'my childs angel and the teacher is too strict'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I am teaching all higher level Maths but straight away from the start I did notice a lot of students were punching way above their weights and should really be in Ordinary level so needless to say those students are struggling with the work.
    I have also noticed that the kids seem to be completely spoon fed in the school and want notes for everything that will basically tell them how to do the work
    but that is impossible and goes totally against what Project Maths is supposed to be about.

I don't envy you, but rest assured you're not alone. Both of these features - kids punching (far, far) above their weight in Honours Maths, and kids wanting to be spoonfed everything - are the most common complaints from the Maths teachers in our school. Every year, particularly after the Christmas results are known in early January, the kids must start facing the reality of their abilities. Unfortunately given that you began in January, you seem to be the messenger of the bad news and you are the easy target to deflect from their/their parents' determination to avoid facing the truth about their abilities.

This cartoon sums a lot of the trend up.

I think it's a good idea, as suggested here already, to check their past grades, and if possible the difficulty level of their previous summer/Christmas exams, as the former teacher could have been deluding them with sub-standard tests or have been a "light marker".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

An anonymous parent is so worried about their childs learning, they are unwilling to identify themselves so you can identify exactly what issues the child is struggling with and help them? I'd be asking the principal for more details so you can actually adress the issue. General feedback of your teaching is crap is not very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He said one parent wouldn't give their name and the others (no idea how many/) he didn't tell me who they were.
    IMO, him not wanting to give their names makes me wonder what he thinks of them.

When in secondary, I did foundation Irish. It was spoonfed to us, but I could never get my head around it, because by that stage I was a lost cause. Sounds like your kids have never had to actually think about the maths? Would it be possible to see how many did honours in their JC, and how many did well? IMO, if you're being spoonfed the info in 6th year, you're a lost cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

He said one parent wouldn't give their name and the others (no idea how many/) he didn't tell me who they were.

I would tell the Principal that I do not deal in hypotheticals and advise him/her that a meeting with any/all those concerned is demanded.

Have any students approached you for extra help?

Are the students completing homework?

I would expect that the problem is you: (1) are new to the school and (2) started mid-year.

Are the students in their last year or close to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

aunt aggie wrote: »
    25 extra points was the worst idea ever!
    Disagree strongly with this but it should never have applied to students who get Ds. If the idea of the 25 extra points was supposed to be to encourage those who were able for higher level but felt that the extra work wasn't worth it then the 25 extra points should have been for those who got 'honours', which means a C minimum (and it used to be a C2 - >60% - back in the day). The reason people who shouldn't be there are there is because they think 40% might be achievable. Those same kids would not be there if they knew they needed to get 55% to get their 25 points.

That is the mistake they made with the extra points, not the introduction of them in the first place.

RealJohn wrote: »
    Disagree strongly with this but it should never have applied to students who get Ds. If the idea of the 25 extra points was supposed to be to encourage those who were able for higher level but felt that the extra work wasn't worth it then the 25 extra points should have been for those who got 'honours', which means a C minimum (and it used to be a C2 - >60% - back in the day). The reason people who shouldn't be there are there is because they think 40% might be achievable. Those same kids would not be there if they knew they needed to get 55% to get their 25 points.

That is the mistake they made with the extra points, not the introduction of them in the first place.

Well said, I totally agree. The number of D level students is detrimental to the overall progress of the class.

But I think it's safe to say that the reason why was to push more students from Ordinary in Higher level to proclaim 'project maths' as a success. The main thrust of the old newspaper headlines was the low number taking Higher Level (17% I think it was). We can also see that this is the mission from subject inspections, maths departments are criticised if they have too many students getting A's in Ordinary level, we are told that they should have been pushed into higher level.

I dunno maybe it's a positive discrimination thing and it has challenged students a lot more to try higher. But at what cost; grinds coming out their ears/extra classes being put on after school and at lunchtime/ detrimental effects on other subjects/the top set being frustrated as the D students still 'dont get it' and need it explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

Ah the joys of a maths teacher. I have the same problem since project maths was introduced, students who are not able for higher level maths in front of me. But of course they are passing everything else but not maths? Why is this? A good principal will tell the parent where to go. My old one did. In another school now and the principal moved the student to another higher level class, totally under mining me. I told them he wasn't able for higher and needed to go to ordinary, he blamed the teacher. I was furious. That was last April. Student failed his mocks badly and is now in ordinary level. But sure what do I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

The push in our place is to get rid of the students who aren't able for it out of the HL class. In fairness to the principal, he's been sensible about it. He knows they aren't all able and doesn't blame the maths teachers for it. A few too many fails at HL in the last few years are motivating him to encourage us to make it very clear to students who aren't able that they should be doing ordinary level and to get rid of them if at all possible.

RealJohn wrote: »
    The push in our place is to get rid of the students who aren't able for it out of the HL class. In fairness to the principal, he's been sensible about it. He knows they aren't all able and doesn't blame the maths teachers for it. A few too many fails at HL in the last few years are motivating him to encourage us to make it very clear to students who aren't able that they should be doing ordinary level and to get rid of them if at all possible.

If they are going to drop down we find its the ones who drop down early who do better than the ones who leave it till half way through 6th year.

Advertisement