Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv licence question.

Options
  • 13-04-2016 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Sorry of this is in the wrong section.
    My mother in law rents an apartment, she is in it maybe 2 months out of the yr. She took down the sky dish as she did t need it. The TV is an old one with no option of saorview.
    The TV licence crew have left notes a few times with the usual lies, they can see a TV and or a dish.
    The TV is only only hooked up to a dvd player. Today I rang the licence crowd after looking at the citizens information site. The an post guy said she still needs a licence amd that you only get away with not having one if you have no TV at all. I mentioned what was on the citizens information site, you don't need a licence if your TV isn't capableor receiving or connected to a a signal.
    So does she have to get one or not?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She needs a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html
    With the switch off of the analogue television service, your analogue television set needs a set-top box to receive digital television. Your analogue television set, with or without a set-top box, still requires a television licence.
    Citizens information says you still need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

They're pure bastards. You're capable of buying a saorview box and hooking it up to the TV, so as far as i know you need a license to pay for the salary of Ryan Tubridy and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

She has a TV capable of receiving a broadcast. She should have a license.

She can get around it by dumping the TV set and getting a monitor, most have HDMI sockets and they can't receive a broadcast. You can get them up to 32" for a reasonable price.

ScumLord wrote: »

She can get around it by dumping the TV set and getting a monitor, most have HDMI sockets and they can't receive a broadcast. You can get them up to 32" for a reasonable price.

Can the inspectors not claim it's a TV through your window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

ScumLord wrote: »

Was gonna say this, I think you can get them bigger than 32" and they tend to work out a lot cheaper than equivalent TV's. Just make sure it's got built in speakers or buy some speakers that you can use with it because a lot of monitors don't have speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

Open for correction, but think a radio also falls under the licence. Radio in car or on phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't need a dog license, because my dog thinks she's a cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only solution is that she gets rid of the TV. If its in the apartment working or not, it must be licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Needs a licence but if you're sure it can't be seen then don't bother, ignore the letters and the inevitable high horsers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just take the tv out when there's no one there. No tv = no licence. And let Mr. Inspector in to see that there is no tv! Just make sure to remove any device capable of receiving a signal (ie: computers, game consoles, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

The Raptor wrote: »
    Can the inspectors not claim it's a TV through your window?
    It's a fifth floor apartment and the blinds are down. :-)

Knasher wrote: »
    Cheers, I didn't see that. Should learn to read it fully. Lol.

smash wrote: »
    I don't need a dog license, because my dog thinks she's a cat!
    Thanks for that.

Thank you all. :-)
    Its a con seeing as she uses it about 7 evenings in a yr. As she is either working or recovering from jetlag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

matchthis wrote: »
    Open for correction, but think a radio also falls under the licence. Radio in car or on phone?

No that's the broadcasting licence, that's coming in to replace the TV licence. Basically everyone who ones a mobile phone will have to pay it. May as well dock it from wages or add it to the USC as it will be a blanket tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know someone who bought one of those tv cabinets, like a chest, where the tv rises out of it. He hid all the wiring under the floorboards to keep it neat. After lots of hassle he invited the license inspector in. He knew that there was a TV somewhere & kept asking to look in cupboards etc but couldn't find it. As he was leaving the owner asked him to confirm that the property would be removed from their database :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thank you all. :-)
    Its a con seeing as she uses it about 7 evenings in a yr. As she is either working or recovering from jetlag.
    Might as well dump it so and save the hassle!

It's a fifth floor apartment and the blinds are down. :-)

You're safe so

Advertisement