Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar photography.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's quite a lot of money to spend taking what will likely be quite static photos. i wonder if a hydrogen alpha filter would cost much more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

it's quite a lot of money to spend taking what will likely be quite static photos. i wonder if a hydrogen alpha filter would cost much more?

ah no, thats not a problem I already have that filter, have had so for years !!

Have been using it for other daytime long exposure shots, and even sunset shots, but have always been scared to point it at the noon sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I don't think its strong enough. ND5.0 is the recommended rating for solar observing/photography. ND5.0 has a % transmittance of 0.001% whereas ND3.0 is 0.1% - 2 orders of magnitude difference (see table on bottom of this link)

See here for more details on solar observing safety: http://astrosolar.com/en/information/about-astrosolar-solar-film/differences-in-astrosolar-solar-films/

I plan on getting a sheet of their Safety Film so I can try to see the transit of Mercury across the Sun next month. It comes with instructions on how to build a filter holder for it too.

Also, I think such a long exposure is not necessary, even with an ND5.0. See this thread where another Boardsie details the process of solar photography. He uses 1/3200s.

Excellent !
    Thanks a lot , I was looking at this too

http://www.amazon.com/Weldcote-Metals-Shade-Filter-Lens/dp/B005BCUJKS/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1460710503&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=%2314+welders+glass+lens+filter

That could work.
    And Mercury transits the sun next month !!!
    How come I'm only hearing about this now !!

Nice one !

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

I hope you dont mind if I hijack this thread, seem like the right people to ask.

I've just started toying with astrophotography, trying to get exposure times correct and shutter shock down. I haven't taken any photos of note yet but i came across this one last week.

Jupiter cropped, not processed, D7000 - 300mm - 13sec - 100iso - f18

I dont know if its an abberation of some sort that I need to avoid or if its a hint of something i can explore and capture.

Thanks for any help :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,814 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they motion trails?

Looks like motion trails, looks so exagerrated too cos I guess you got some of Jupiters moons in there too :)

Wilko121 wrote: »
    I hope you dont mind if I hijack this thread, seem like the right people to ask.

I've just started toying with astrophotography, trying to get exposure times correct and shutter shock down. I haven't taken any photos of note yet but i came across this one last week.

Jupiter cropped, not processed, D7000 - 300mm - 13sec - 100iso - f18

I dont know if its an abberation of some sort that I need to avoid or if its a hint of something i can explore and capture.

Thanks for any help :)

I agree with with the other responses that its motion, but not a star trail type of motion so make sure your tripod is not shaking during exposure.

With a 300mm lens the best you could hope for when taking a picture of Jupiter is to see it plus some of its moons, something like this. Without a longer focal length or tracking you wont see any level of detail like gas clouds.

Your exposure time is too long also for the focal length your using I think. Look up the rule of 600 for astrophoto. Im not sure if its exactly the same for planets but it should at least give you a good idea of where to start.

By the way, theres an Astrophotography forum here on boards with people who know a lot more than me!

Happy shooting! Astrophoto becomes an adiction when it starts!

25992549433_035c6a34bd_c.jpg
    The Sun (23/04/2016)

Got the baader filter safety film and tested it out today. This was taken with 300mm telephoto lens and cropped. Can see one small sunspot. Happy enough with the results. I'll try again another day when there are more sunspots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Would the Lee big stopper work for sun photography? 10 stop ND filter.

• Advertisement

kevc2 wrote: »
    Would the Lee big stopper work for sun photography? 10 stop ND filter.

Don't think so. 10 stops is equivalent to ND3.0.

Astrosolar recommend a minimun of ND3.8 for photography only and is unsafe for observation.

ND3.0 has a transmittance almost one order of magnitude greater than ND3.8. Don't risk it.

25992549433_035c6a34bd_c.jpg
    The Sun (23/04/2016)

Got the baader filter safety film and tested it out today. This was taken with 300mm telephoto lens and cropped. Can see one small sunspot. Happy enough with the results. I'll try again another day when there are more sunspots.

Beautiful.
    Think I'll get this safety film !

They arrived today ...

Instructions were in German, but found this
    http://astrosolar.com/en/information/how-to/how-to-make-your-own-objective-solar-filter-for-your-camera-or-telescope/

Still not clear for what the kleenex tissue is for ..

I think this explains it nicely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A heads up for you: Mercury Transit on May 9th 2016 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057594283

tricky D wrote: »
    A heads up for you: Mercury Transit on May 9th 2016 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057594283

Looks like it will be cloudy for me in Barcelona - the irony .

good luck to you all in other parts !!!

I will use my solar filter anyway for sunspots and future events ..;)

They arrived today ...

Instructions were in German, but found this
    http://astrosolar.com/en/information/how-to/how-to-make-your-own-objective-solar-filter-for-your-camera-or-telescope/

Still not clear for what the kleenex tissue is for ..

Yeah was in german but found the instructions like you. I think the kleenex was to keep it dust and smudge free but not sure. With the bits of filter left over I think I'll try and make eclispse type glasses as I find it hard to point the camera in the right direction at the sun.

Looking cloudy for me here as well in Toulouse. Hopefully there will be some windows between the clouds to get a few shots.

Not good .. what a shame, anyway this solar film wont go to waste ..

the transit lasts from 13.10 - 1900 (roughly) CET ... so hopefully Ill get something later.

Advertisement