Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why am I Seeing Flying Ants in Spring?

Options
  • 13-04-2016 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We've been having a couple of ants in our kitchen and bathroom during the day with many more at night. I've been spraying them with surface sanitiser and wiping surfaces down with vinegar. Was just about to start with Nippon ant killer liquid when I saw this bad boy in the kitchen.

(((just realised I can't post pics cos I'm a new user, is there any way around this? I'm guessing I can still PM it?)))

Any ideas what it is? The pest control company I sent it to said they couldn't identify it.

From my (very limited) knowledge, flying ants usually come out during summer, not spring, right???

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wrong time of year for flying ants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AffieK

Wrong time of year for flying ants.

That's what I thought. Which is why I'm wondering what one was doing in my kitchen this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

odd choice to post about killing nature on a nature forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

AffieK wrote: »
    (((just realised I can't post pics cos I'm a new user, is there any way around this? I'm guessing I can still PM it?)))

Picture of the insect attached but did not work.
    So image here Ant.jpg
    imagehosting
    Bluezulu49

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Is it too early for St Mark's Fly ? I'm not much into insects but I'm sure someone here will ID them . Either way, please ease up on the pest control, just keep your windows closed as much as possible for a few days - these little guys probably have a very short season and will disappear soon - they play a part in our biodiversity so just hang in there for a few days and your "plague of insects " will pass .

• Advertisement
Advertisement