Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair question for gym bunnies!

• 13-04-2016 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I have really long hair. When I go to the gym, I end up washing my hair. Takes ages to dry and I find the over-washing is taking its toll and drying my hair out.

Is it possible to do a workout and not wash your hair or is that really awful/disgusting?...I read online that Kim Kardashian only washes her hair once every 5 days and she seems to be in the gym morning, noon and night!!
    I'm just trying to think of ways to go to the gym without having to go through the painfully long task of washing and drying my hair afterwards!

Cutting it much shorter would be an option but I love my long hair! :)
    Post edited by Ciarrai76 on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

There was a thread about this recently, on a phone now so can't find it but if I remember correctly the big tips were;

Wear a thick hair band to absorb sweat

Blowdry your hair when damp (from sweat to give it life)

Use dry shampoo

Hope this helps xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Yes I remember the other thread alright.

I try to co-ordinate gym days with hair wash days. Its not been bad for me recently as Ive been doing anerobic mostly due to injury so I havent been that sweaty but when I used to run it was usually necessary to wash my hair after.

Probably depends on how much of a sweater you are generally too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had this issue too.
    I used to wash my hair after every single gym session, so that'd be four-five times a week.
    It was a pain in the **** but I felt I needed to because my hair would be wringing wet from sweat and I didn't want smelly hair.

It was only after a recent hairdresser visit that she mentioned my hair was quite dry.
    I mentioned how often I washed it and she said that was far too much.
    She recommended using dry shampoo on alternate days so that's what I do.

So, for example, if I go to the gym on Monday, I'll shower and wash my hair.
    Tuesday I will shower but cover my hair with a hair-cap, then dry my sweaty hair with a hairdryer, whilst spraying Batiste through it, and it's perfectly fresh.

I'll then maybe go another day without washing it as that's usually my rest day from the gym, but I will wash it the next day.
    Doing this has really improved the condition of my hair and I'd never go back to washing it so often anymore.

Buy some Batiste Dry Shampoo and spritz that through your hair after you've dried your sweaty hair and you'll be good to go for a day or two.
    I know some people might think that's rank but honestly, washing it every day is so bad for your hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Great tips-thanks so much. Will follow the advice re: not washing the hair, using headbands and dry shampoo. I think the icky-feeling will take some getting used to but it's better than dry straw-like hair in the long run! Thanks again all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

Great tips-thanks so much. Will follow the advice re: not washing the hair, using headbands and dry shampoo. I think the icky-feeling will take some getting used to but it's better than dry straw-like hair in the long run! Thanks again all

I think blowdrying your roots help to get rid of a little bit of the icky feeling!

Also, I wash my hair with conditioner only sometimes as that will remove the sweat but not dry it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

If your water isn't very hard you could rinse your hair to remove the sweat and then style as normal. You'll avoid removing the natural oils so it shouldn't dry out your hair.

You will go greasy eventually though, which is where dry shampoo would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mfarr3ll

Recently had the same issue I do met cons and hiit sessions so I do be starting some times and in all fairness when have u ever seen kim Kardashian sweating in the gym I doubt she works that hard. I gym Monday wash my hair. Use dry shampoo Tues if needed as I do a hiit session Tues night at home Wednesday is gym day and that hair wash day Thursday nothing Friday gym and I wash it again Saturday I've extensions also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 orla.mccormack

Yeah so sick of my hair getting greasy from the gym

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement