Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Yaris alarm

Options
  • 13-04-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

I just bought a Toyota Yaris 1.0 Sol 2001. It has an a Gemini 7200 alarm fitted, but it does not work (the remote is dead).

Is this a factory fitted alarm? That will lower my insurance cost if fixed. Or is that something that was done as an addition (in this case the insurer will not offer a discount).

I have buttons to open and lock the car remotely on the car key (they don't work) + I have a separate small Gemini alarm pilot (doesn't work).

I can't talk to owner as I bought this car from a garage. Is there any way I cant find out what's the story with the alarm?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not factory fitted, they're a third party alarm. Not a very good one either. As for insurance discounts, I've yet to find an Irish insurer that offers any discount for a third party alarm, no matter how well regarded and installed. Maybe others have?

If your car doesn't have a built in immobiliser insurance or not I'd fit a third party alarm anyway. Too easy to steal otherwise.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cameraman21

It has an immobilizer alright, but was just curious about the alarm. So it is not factory fitted according to you.

Remote open/lock buttons on the car key have nothing to do with alarm, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I wouldn't go to the expense of fitting an alarm to a 2001 Yaris. I know that's a controversial thing to say but the cost versus the risk of it getting stolen are not equatable. You're only convenience is remote locking and the insurance loading for a claim would be more than a new car.

The Yaris has an immobilizer from stock and its reasonably good to be fair. No alarm in the world will stop a Yaris being stolen, its too simple a car to get going if you know what you are at. Have you tried changing the battery in the remote? There might be a reset procedure to get them back in sync with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

some alarms are wired into the remote locking, on Toyota's Thu generally only do that when there's deadlocking which you don't have. if you have an alarm fob as well it's probably separate.

Advertisement