Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension & Exemption

Options
  • 12-04-2016 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have recently become a full time carer for my parents and living between their house and mine atm. Married with a young child so need to build on in the folks ASAP.

I know you can build on 40sqm without permission but the problem is there is already a 25sqm conservatory that has been changed in to a sun room giving us only 15sqm to play with.

Obviously this is not enough space to house us and we *should* apply for planning for a bigger new extension. The issue however is timing as living between two houses is already putting a strain on my family life and I can't continue as is for up to six months between seeking planning and the build.

I'm considering building a new 40sqm extension as soon as possible then seeking retention for what I've gone over. Silly idea or no?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

we won't be discussing breaking the law

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

BryanF wrote: »
    we won't be discussing breaking the law

Thanks Bryan. I fully intend on applying for permission, albeit after the fact. I'm interested to see if anyone here has gone down a similar route before and what barriers were put up in front of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Thanks Bryan. I fully intend on applying for permission, albeit after the fact. I'm interested to see if anyone here has gone down a similar route before and what barriers were put up in front of them.

We emphasise with your situation, but you either apply for planning upfront or you ARE breaking the law. As per the forum charter, we respect the law. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement