Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home and Away.

Options
  • 12-04-2016 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,882 ✭✭✭✭

Covering a couple of topics here - but all related.

Played a parkland today (Clontarf) and knew I would be slaughtered - was 10 over :D. I normally start playing parkland golf now as have a good few events coming up away not on links

Probably got it at a bad time - but to start we were hitting off mats on the tee box - even this for me was so alien , in fact on two occasion the ball fell as I went to hit it :eek: - this would do my head in to be honest.

Anyway - I have been thinking about how playing at home all the time makes you a one trick pony , if the clubs you hit from every par 3 are known very well and even pin positions etc. I noticed how unsuited my short game and ball flight was for what is a different game versus links.

But the questions
    Are you a limited golfer to your home course ?
    Are you good home and away ?
    How would you score away and how many shots worse would you be away ?
    Do you change your game home and away ?
    How often do you try play away ?
    Have you worked on your game away from home ?
    Are you perfectly happy to play your own course and avoid competitions away ?
    Do you think a player who plays away more in qualifying competitions is a better player ?

Or any other point.

Don't think we have talked about this before ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Nope
    I'm not good either way :P Depends on the course
    As above. Shot +12 Knightsbrook, +9 and +12 Ardee, +15 Royal Tara, Concra +20. Havent played Headfort since last year but I'll be playing soon, last year scores were higher.
    Safer shots if unsure of the course
    Every week, not a member this year, last year every month
    Yes
    When I was a member I played both home and away, preffered playing new courses though
    Do you think a player who plays away more in qualifying competitions is a better player ?
    Compeletly depends on their score i would say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I was looking at my stats on master scoreboard this week (if your club uses handicap master this is a great site) I had 42 qualifying rounds at home and only 5 away, so I guess I am a home bird and my scores backed it up. Other than one 39 in Roganstown I was no near the buffer in the others.

If I look at non qualifying rounds, society, interclub etc I had another 25 rounds and scored reasonabley well in all of them.

So I play poor in comps away but ok in casual golf away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Are you a limited golfer to your home course ? No
    Are you good home and away ? Neither!!!
    How would you score away and how many shots worse would you be away ? Some of my best rounds were on away courses, some first time playing them
    Do you change your game home and away ? Little bit more cautious when playing a new course or when out with members of the club you are playing
    How often do you try play away ? Whenever I can
    Have you worked on your game away from home ? No
    Are you perfectly happy to play your own course and avoid competitions away ? Not really, just want to play golf!
    Do you think a player who plays away more in qualifying competitions is a better player ? Maybe, better to adapt to different courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Mad i know but generally i shoot better scores away from home

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seve OB wrote: »
    Mad i know but generally i shoot better scores away from home

I'm the same, my best rounds were in Strandhill, portmarnock, Dundrum and corballis, none of which I've been members of.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

No but dont play a huge amount away from home

Play a tight parkland course so away courses seem a little easier. Whenever I played Jimmy Bruen etc I always seemed to play away

Am usually fairly similar home and away, percentage of buffer zones would be about the same. Last year my biggest cut came playing away at a links

No I try and keep things as similar as possible, apart from the short game where I may take a bit more time at away courses and if its a link then I use the low runners more often (Links suits my short game more than my home parkland course)

Not enough

No dont work on game away from home. I am not a fiddler with my swing etc so try to play in comfort zone

No I like away comps

Overall yes I think they are better able to deal with the unusual even on the home course.

For me the big difference I find on away course is my level of concentration - I just think about my shot more, think of landing areas etc. something I dont do as much at home course where it can sometimes be a bit playing by numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

No, only a member of my home course for 2 years, so feel as comfortable away as at home.

Looking at Howdidido, i'm probably more consistant away, but probably try harder away too.

last 5 away round (over 4 months)
    35 points
    top 4 were all first time playing the course

Unless away is a links, then no, sometimes its good to play a new course and not know where the real trouble is, knowing where you don't want to be can lead you to that exact position, more often than not.

Couple of rounds a month at least.

not really

No, love playing away

Hard to say, better at adapting to new courses, then yes. But generalisation just because of playing away, then I couldn't say yes or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,882 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No, was a serious traveller in 2014 , a bit less in 2015 , and looks like will be even less in 2015.
    So was very well travelled and played all over the country when I could , but you get more more involved in a home club.

I would have considered myself very, but my handicap was higher and looking at my results in 2015 , I would be playing out of my skin to get 36 points.
    So not as good as I was. In fact, Id say poor now.

In general in the range of 31 to 34 - so about 2 to 5 shots, and more often 5 :o:eek:

No and is something I need to work on , my short game and long game is totally Links based, low, running, playing wind.

Couple of rounds a month at least. But this is only about once a month a present, big change for me.

Yes, but sadly many times it is another links, compounding my problems away.

No, love playing away - but again, If I travel I look up the best links in the area first.
    I do know these days I will struggle to get it over 34 away, so I think this is in the back of my mind at this stage.

I think a player who plays away a lot , twice a month say, in qualifying competitions - is a far better player. I'd almost go as far as saying, your not the same handicap away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'm the same, my best rounds were in Strandhill, portmarnock, Dundrum and corballis, none of which I've been members of.

Any chance you chipping is poor to average?
    For myself I tend to score well away from home but more so when I play a links course as my chipping is poor but my long putting is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

mike12 wrote: »
    Any chance you chipping is poor to average?
    For myself I tend to score well away from home but more so when I play a links course as my chipping is poor but my long putting is good.

That's exactly it. Links definitely brings out the best in me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement