Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they make me pay fees?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Basically I started a masters degree in September 2015. I was one week into the course and realised the content was hugely similar to my undergrad and felt I wasn't going to develop much by doing the course. I had been accepted to another MSc programme at an alternative university and realised I had made the wrong choice and wanted to accept the offer there instead.

At the time I emailed my course co-ordinator to let them know the course wasn't for me and I would not be continuing. However in the last week I received an email from the fees office saying I had paid no fees and they must be paid. I emailed back informing them I had dropped out of the course after the first week and they had made a mistake.

I then received an email back stating that just emailing my co-ordinator to let them know I wasn't sufficient and I had to formally withdraw, and because I did not do this I was required to pay all fees (Circa €7000). In hindsight, I should have made sure my withdrawal from the course was sufficient however my course co-ordinator didn't say any further steps were required.

I dont have the money to pay for two masters, Surely they cant pursue me on this?
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement