Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time driver at 27

Options
  • 12-04-2016 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I have my full license of last week. I am just wondering does anyone know of a manufacturer and model of a car that would be good for cheap tax and insurance?? Dont mind what type of car but hopefully not a tiny one eg. nissan micra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

You're going to be best off with a tiny car for insurance reasons.

Micra, Yaris, Corsa, Polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Congrats on the licence.

What budget do you have? Do you have any type of car in mind?
    Small cars are always best starter cars, particularly when you're kinda new to driving.

Motor tax calculator https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

It's hard to beat a Yaris for reliability and MPG. Stay away from Golfs unless you have deep pockets for insurance etc. Personally I like the Skoda Fabia estate version. Nice to drive and good MPG also plus low insurance.

I'll be in a similar situation but I'll be 28. Looking at the disgraceful insurance situation I was also wondering what way to go for the cheaper insurable cars. Pandas any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pandas are lovely and pretty solid cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 mymy88

Thanks for all the replies,

I am thinking about a Polo cos that is what my mum has and is what i was practising in. Just trying to think of a smaller car that might be even cheaper on insurace. But dont want to get it too small that I will get mangled.
    Insurance companies suggest an old car too like 2000-2002 and my bduget would be less than 700 euro for the car which is fine if i want to buy a small one and less than a 1.0L engine. Not many yaris on done deal. A load of corsa, puntos and micras! I just dont really like those cars but looks like I will have to get one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Helen

Hi mymy88,

My name is Helen from Bank of Ireland and we have a talk to forum here on Boards we’ve just noticed your post.

Best of luck with getting your first car, it’s an exciting time. If you’d like to contact us when you’re shopping for your car insurance policy we would be happy to go through a quotation with you.

Just to let you know, currently there is up to 25% discount on car insurance quotes and you can pay monthly at no extra cost.

If you have any further queries don’t hesitate in contacting us.

Happy Shopping !!

Helen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

sky6 wrote: »
    It's hard to beat a Yaris for reliability and MPG.

Personally I like the Skoda Fabia estate version. Nice to drive and good MPG also plus low insurance.

Didn't realise there's a Fabia estate. I don't own a car yet, but I've always liked the idea of an estate, well, for practicality and possibly lugging stuff around, if required. Not that I've much to carry around per se. Dunno. Family reaction might be, shure what do ya need that for? :pac: I'll probably go for a Yaris in the end, though.

Advertisement