Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council expose people who dump rubbish

Options
  • 12-04-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

Link

Do you think this is a reasonable thing to do?

I feel like once it's known that this will happen it's a reasonable response, if you were seen and prosecuted the public would know anyway.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yeah, dirty yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Dont think its an invasion of privacy ,I think it's lazy horrible offence to be doing by throwing rubbish everywhere except its proper place,as for them flytippers, their photos and vehicles should up there for all to see, For once this is not a real rubbish story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Within a day of the poster going up at Frankfort Cottages, near the Five Lamps, the street was clear of rubbish.

There we go. More of this sort of thing, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So the illegal dumpers signed up for bin services, and didn't just dump their rubbish somewhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you're dumping rubbish illegally on a public street then there's no expectation of privacy.

If you don't want your image published there's a very simple way around it - don't dump your rubbish like a scumbag!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

There's a real simple way the illegal flytippers can go to bypass/avoid having your details published.

Stop fcukin fly tipping you scumbags.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

They obviously know it's scummy behaviour, otherwise they wouldn't be worried about getting their picture published.

Great idea by DCC.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One the one hand, it seems like a great idea and should happen everywhere.

On the other hand, I wonder id we'd see a lawsuit coming the way of SDCC for the 'public humiliation' (or words to that effect) their photos caused the people whose photos were posted?

I would not surprise me if the law ended up allowing that kind of case to be brought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Fair enough if they can prove it in court. It's highly risky if they can't as it's likely to be defamatory.

The CCTV images would need to be very clear that the person was actually illegally dumping and not say just looking at the material or passing by.

Irish law is very very heavily balanced in favour of the accused when it comes to libel / defamation .

If it's obvious and provable though, fair enough. It's a public space and you deserve to explain yourself to the public.

I don't think you'd have any protection from "public humiliation" just from false accusations.

I would assume the City has run it past lawyers though. They're well resourced for that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

“We have identified that the people in the images are local people and, within a few hours of the poster going up, we had one person call in to us asking for the picture to be taken down because their neighbours would know who they were.”

Ha...

• Advertisement

12Phase wrote: »
    Fair enough if they can prove it in court.

The CCTV images would need to be very clear that the person was actually illegally dumping and not say just looking at the material or passing by.

That's not hard to prove at all. The rubbish is in the person's hands, it's then on the ground.

Case closed yer honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Don't worry, the legal profession will see an end to this soon as they're not getting their pound of flesh.

DCC will be forced to gather evidence and prosecute every single individual, knowing said individual would not pay any fine anyway, and will be let off by a judge because their upbringing was not on standard with the kings and queens of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's not hard to prove at all. The rubbish is in the person's hands, it's then on the ground.

Case closed yer honour.

If they can do that yeah.

There have been cases of shops posting images of shop lifting which got legally complicated due to lack of clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

are they targeting bugs or louts?

I don't think you'd have any protection from "public humiliation" just from false accusations.
    Replace public humiliation with defamation then. If SDCC has positioned itself as judge and jury and posted some version of a 'wall of shame' and people are put up there by mistake, they'd surely have some kind of case.

It wouldn't surprise me if they had a case even if they had been dumping.

I would assume the City has run it past lawyers though. They're well resourced for that kind of thing.

I assume and hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd say they be down in the dumps after been exposed.

If they can do that yeah.

There have been cases of shops posting images of shop lifting which got legally complicated due to lack of clarity.

Well surely they're getting the images from CCTV so they have the full moving images.

It's much easier to prove than shoplifting as they're actually leaving something there as opposed to taking something small.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I know it would be hard to police but i'd love to see "On-the-spot" fines for spitting on the street. Spitting on the footpath is a horrible thing to do. Use a feckin' tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I hope it works. I used to walk through some parts of Dublin City where it was common for people to put their household waste out on the street in black bags knowing that the council would eventually pick it up. But if that took a week and the seagulls and rats had been at it didn't stop them from doing it again the next week.
    I remember about four or five years ago we had a pretty hot (by our standards)summer and the stink was unbearable walking home at six o'clock past the baked rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Did I read it right that the problem was the dumpers weren't leaving their rubbish out at the designated time for collection each week by dcc?

Am I reading it right that they get their rubbish collected for free each week?

Something rings a bell that certain areas don't have to pay bin charges?

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-illegal-dumping-2709874-Apr2016/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I know it would be hard to police but i'd love to see "On-the-spot" fines for spitting on the street. Spitting on the footpath is a horrible thing to do. Use a feckin' tissue.

Which will lead to a gobby spit soaked tissue being thrown in the street. Swallowing is the only answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What's next? Slut shaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

osarusan wrote: »
    On the other hand, I wonder id we'd see a lawsuit coming the way of SDCC for the 'public humiliation' (or words to that effect) their photos caused the people whose photos were posted?
    Public humiliation should be used more. It's not really cruel, it costs nothing and takes advantage of a human centric behaviour. It only works if the person is a decent enough sort most of the time and can experience shame. They get a lesson burned into their brain and won't do it again.
    Fair enough if they can prove it in court. It's highly risky if they can't as it's likely to be defamatory.
    Why would they need to prove anything? They're not identifying anyone or accusing them of anything. All they're doing is posting pictures of dumping.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why would they need to prove anything? They're not identifying anyone or accusing them of anything. All they're doing is posting pictures of dumping.
    They are posting images either with the intention of or in the knowledge that the people in the pictures could be identifiable:
    The faces of the men and women are slightly blurred, due to the quality of the CCTV footage, but they would be able to identify themselves from the images, as most likely would their neighbours , the council said. “This is the first poster we’ve put up showing people dumping their rubbish, and we got an instant reaction,” John McPartlan, public domain officer with the council said.
    “We have identified that the people in the images are local people and, within a few hours of the poster going up, we had one person call in to us asking for the picture to be taken down because their neighbours would know who they were.”

I don't know how far the 'were not accusing anybody of anything, just putting up some pictures' argument will go. Especially when the caption next to the still images is 'Dumpers… We’re watching. We’re prosecuting.' If the idea is to shame people into stopping, the idea or threat of being identified/identifiable seems to be fairly central to that.

But I hope it's all been evaluated legally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What's so terrible about it? Are you lickin the footpaths?

Boskowski wrote: »
    What's so terrible about it? Are you lickin the footpaths?

And what if I am?

All that free gum!

Advertisement