Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advance route planning

Options
  • 12-04-2016 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭

I have checked Ecars site https://esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/charge-point-map

and I cannot see a way to plan a route in advance (using a PC or Android Phone)

I would like to know where the required stop offs will be , before I set off

Car is 24kw Leaf, will hopefully be using Motorways

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

you should try plugshare (web and android app)... it shows all the same chargepoints and has a built in route planner that allows you to include charge points in the route - very useful

links
    http://www.plugshare.com/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xatori.Plugshare&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Connect EV route planner is pretty good, have you tried it online?

Otherwise consider http://egomap.eu too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Reviving this thread as I will need to plan a trip down to Dingle and of course around the place. Will try out already suggested above, but anyone used and can recommend anything else?
    (Hyundai IONIQ soon to be 8) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

You'll only get a definitive answer through experience.

I use Google maps, with all the FCPs marked as stars. Plan for down CPs by allowing enough range to get you to an alternative.

Thanks for the advise, mini. I am so new to this "kitchen" that definitely will have to try loads of things myself for first time.
    Adding Stars on my own Google Maps sounds like a good idea as you then avoid having to run multiple apps to plan/navigate. I wonder is there no way to create "generic/shared" FCPs map and Import/Export it as you wish. Maybe we could send this idea to Google Devs :) They'd quickly jump to implement something like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Here's one to start you off.. doesn't have the new limerick, galway or castlebar rapids.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&mid=1nlMmDo9bGVDCOzLgQuAWVcqNcjg&ll=53.268013096455036%2C-7.502626799999916&z=8

...or lucan, great gas ... okay maybe I need to update it.

That is great, very good starting point!

I am yet to find out capabilities of build in NAV and see how these tools can help me navigate effortless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I find the EV Range App is a very useful tool for route planning

Not sure what is the story, but EV Range App (EV Range Calculator on Play Store) - crashes each time I click "Get directions" (the last step after you select everything, +there is no Ioniq available.

Using HTC One8s, all updates done.

Hi all

Just been sitting and testing few apps and also websites for the planing of longer trips.

Here is what NextCharge gives me for the trip from Lusk to Killarney (see attachments).

First attempt was 120km/h speed and 2 passangers (150kg) - that would required almost 4 stops as it was showing I'd reach Killarney with -2 of battery left :D

so I toned down speed to 110km/h and 1 person in the car (me) - this way it get's me to destination with 3 charges and 20+ % of battery left.

So far this looks to be best website+app to make itineraries as it lets you actually save them on phone app. PlugShare is another I am testing now, but I found it awkward so far.

So the take so far is... speed greatly affects mileage, well no news here :) Ill keep testing

Any input - most welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

4 stops, 3 stops? What kinda app is that? It's ridiculous. You only need 1 stop.

From Lusk, you can drive well over the speed limits to say Portlaoise, charge. Then you can drive well over the speed limits to Limerick, charge. Then drive well over the speed limits to Killarney where I presume you have destination charging. So just 2 stops if you like your speed

Or just drive a little bit slower and you will make it from Lusk to Killarney with just one fast charge stop in Roscrea...

Yeah, sometimes you are drawn in too much to these apps and websites to actually think yourself... :] Never looked that distance is just over 300kms... that is indeed 1 charge... unless fully loaded car is muuuuch less efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Mope wrote: »
    Yeah, sometimes you are drawn in too much to these apps and websites to actually think yourself... :] Never looked that distance is just over 300kms... that is indeed 1 charge... unless fully loaded car is muuuuch less efficient
    However I would never reply on the last, pre-turtle, CP

For example I have been twice in Portlaoisi and twice the same taxi has been plugged in, once fully charged but driver awol

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

How much range is wise to keep? 20km or more in case charge station you are is not available?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,258 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

How much range is wise to keep? 20km or more in case charge station you are is not available?

enough to get you to an alternative so if the next one is 30km....

I have a simple approach to all of this.
    Am going to Cork
    Ballacolla is .129 km
    Urlingford is .148 km
    Cashel is ....180 km

So I set off with say 188 kms on the GOM, and 180km in the Sat nav
    As long as I keep the GOM above the Sat nav, I will make Cashel, however I would fill up in Ballacolla by choice as its very convenient to the M/way and it leaves me options for Urlingford and Cashel, neither of which are as convenient as Ballacolla.

So if the right foot is too heavy, Cashel may get out of range, or even Urlingford

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

unless fully loaded car is muuuuch less efficient

No doesn't make much of a difference when cruising on motorways. Aerodynamics are far more important than weight for range

That's why in my recently linked Nyland comparison test between the Tesla model S (2200kg with driver) wasn't an awful lot worse on the motorway than the Ioniq (1600kg with driver)

In city / mixed traffic the heavy Model S was a lot worse than the Ioniq, as you would expect

Thanks honda

Unkel you are correct, looks like keeping speed isn't an issue. I will see myself with days of driving, but it looks like i can easily get two days without charging with my commute

Guys, help us out here. We are traveling to Ring of Kerry. Staying in Castlegregory. Getting to place where we going to sleep isn't an issue as much, the issues starts when we actually want to travel around. There is not a single FCP around the way we need to go, only SCP scattered, one West, one South of Ring of Kerry and one just at let's say beginning (see attachment). Knowing it's maximum 6.6 or 7kW I can take an hour, that would mean (if I do math correctly in one hour I could get maybe 50 odd km of range. The ring itself if starting from Killarney is 183 or so. Technically it is something that could be possibly done, but i am just freaking out from idea if SCP on West isn't working and I am left hoping that I can make it to Sneem (South of ring) where again same story. Plus i will have full car of ppl.

Just want to see what you guys would do, what you think? It's hilly location, climbing on semi slow speed and using regen lvl3 would even it out or not really?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Guys, help us out here. We are traveling to Ring of Kerry. Staying in Castlegregory. Getting to place where we going to sleep isn't an issue as much, the issues starts when we actually want to travel around. There is not a single FCP around the way we need to go, only SCP scattered, one West, one South of Ring of Kerry and one just at let's say beginning (see attachment). Knowing it's maximum 6.6 or 7kW I can take an hour, that would mean (if I do math correctly in one hour I could get maybe 50 odd km of range. The ring itself if starting from Killarney is 183 or so. Technically it is something that could be possibly done, but i am just freaking out from idea if SCP on West isn't working and I am left hoping that I can make it to Sneem (South of ring) where again same story. Plus i will have full car of ppl.

Just want to see what you guys would do, what you think? It's hilly location, climbing on semi slow speed and using regen lvl3 would even it out or not really?

ROK is about 170km no? According to Google Maps anyway. I'd say you'd do it easily once you leave Killarney with 100%. You'll be driving at a leisurely pace on them roads. Personally I'd stay away from level 3 regen unless you actively need to brake. Use level 1 or 2 when descending for light braking to hold speed. I find level 3 kills your speed and you only end up putting the shoe down again to build up speed. Toggling between regen level 0-1-2 you can coast better to maintain speed while getting some energy back too.

Looks like you have the option of stopping in Kenmare, Sneem, Cahersiveen or Killorglin. You'd be very unlucky if all of them were out of action. Maybe plan to have lunch in Kenmare? If the CP is out of action then move on and have lunch in Sneem or Cahersiveen. Like you say if you can stop for an hour and get maybe +40-50km then you are definitely sorted.

If you're staying in Castlegregory I assume you'll be driving from there to Killarney and back the day you're driving the ROK? Then you'll need to factor in another 100km+ range. When are you planning on doing this? I might be able to do a test run some weekend before you head down :)

I'm going there next weekend and that would be absolutely amazing if someone could test waters before I'm going full in with full car of people.
    I don't think we'd start from Killarney. We'd go straight from the Northern town on my screenshot and on to ROK. On the way back to accommodation potentially stopping in Killarney, yet to be decided and will see how are we with time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

On a LEAF I have never noticed the load lessen the range noticeably. Just make sure the tyres are inflated correctly for th eload and the improved regenerative braking will then capture a large part of the extra energy lost on the uphills. You won't be able to drive fast on ROK anyway due to traffic and condition of the road so will be fine without charging I reckon.

So I spent few hours yesterday and prepared this 3 days plan for my trip this weekend. Just to know where abouts were would like to go and maybe some more turns from the route if and where possible according to time we have available on our hands.
    Thanks to unkel and thelikelylad for kml and gpx files, they were handy to import on to the map so I can see everything in one place (Google does conversion automatically when you import it in gpx format).

In total its a bit over 1200 KMs. We are driving it in our 06 Forester and IONIQ.
    We have 7 people, Forester will take 3 adults and 1 child, IONIQ 2 adults, 1 child.

On Day 1 I plan to stop at Portlaoise and Limerick FCPs just to top it up as I will still have (should have?!) quite a few KMs by the team I reach them. Not planning to drive slower than 120km/h maybe even faster as it's 6hrs drive without counting FCPs in. From Limerick is different story. I think going to check-in, then come back to Tralee, have something to eat, charge 1.5hrs or so and if we still up for it do Dingle loop. Then Charge with granny cable at BnB.
    Next Day is ROK with stop at either one of 3 SCPs available on the loop. We will decide looking at how much juice being consumed while we drive first bits of RoK.

3 day - goal is Cliffs, but if all goes well and my kids are not shouting their lungs out we might get to some places additionally.

Anything specifically you guys would like to get captured from the trip?
    I am planning to note down all the typical: Start time, Battery % starting, kWh/km at the end, end time, end Battery %. I think these will give enough data to see how IONIQ does.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Looks like a good plan Mope. Topping up in Portlaoise FCP (with Roscrea FCP as backup) and Limerick FCP (with Adare, Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale CPs as backup) seems pretty flawless to me.

On day 3 have you considered crossing the Shannon estuary on the Tarbert Ferry instead of going via Limerick? You should be able to do Castlegregory to the FCP in Galway via the Cliffs on one 100% charge or at least with a short stop at a CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I've used the tarbert ferry in the i3, definitely worth it in an EV if you are doing kerry to clare as it enabled me to skip charging until an overnight in Galway.

...and it's a handy point to get out and have a stretch anyway

Beware of the Ballinasloe rapid.... it has a bad mobile signal. So if it doesn't recognise your card you'll need to just keep retrying, ESB are unlikely to be able to do a remote start.

Thanks for the input lad, greatly appreciated! I will look in to Day 3 suggestion for sure! Looks good!

Advertisement