Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health in Ireland

Options
  • 12-04-2016 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭

I just wanted to talk about mental health in this country and why its not really taken seriously, theres so much propaganda in raising awareness for mental health but we were already aware of it, we dont need awareness. yes it helped break down stigmas but there has been no effort in creating genuine concern or help. Seems like all this raising awareness bull is for people who want to look like theyre making a difference, like running a public marathon or a public bike race with a nice shiny medal for them at the end and a pat on the back.
    I think most people know someone who has at least attempted to commit suicide, your mental health can literally kill you yet its not given enough of a priority.
    To see a fully trained and experienced counsellor or psychotherapist costs at least 50 to 100 euro+ depending on how qualified the professional is. This makes adequate mental health care out of reach for allot people, particularly young people, unemployed and those on low wage so mental health care is really left up to charities and not for profit organisations which do really great work but allot of the counsellors working for these places are often students or recent graduates who are often times inexperienced and although well meaning, they cant adequately help someone who needs it. Patients are often left feeling patronised or misunderstood which only leads them to feel even more hopeless. A doctor's only answer to mental health is prescription drugs which don't work for everyone. Many people don't have the emotional support of friends or family and when they try to reach out they're met with judgment and uncaring responses.
    Yet Ireland's answer to mental health is to go talk to someone, go to a doctor or even worse responses such as go for a walk or do some exercise.

Other countries fund all different types of mental health care such as art and music therapies, in every other country in Europe an art therapist is placed on a list of the countries psychotherapists, they are considered professionals. In Ireland this profession isn't taken seriously and the therapists arent considered 'real therapists' even though it's been proven to help with drug addiction, criminals, children, teenagers, special needs like autism and adhd, depression and even stroke and brain damaged victims but its a difficult and expensive course to get into and jobs are limited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Its a bit mental having that thread here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

uch wrote: »

Its amazing and great looking at the amount of thanks devore gets in that first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

May not necessarily be best suited to AH, but why direct them to the depression thread?

There's so, so many other mental health conditions other than depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im not just talking about depression, im talking about all mental health and why Ireland doesn't provide appropriate services, many people with illness are forced to go to the UK for mental health care and thats only if they can afford to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I just wanted to talk about mental health in this country and why its not really taken seriously, theres so much propaganda in raising awareness for mental health but we were already aware of it, we dont need awareness. yes it helped break down stigmas but there has been no effort in creating genuine concern or help. Seems like all this raising awareness bull is for people who want to look like theyre making a difference, like running a public marathon or a public bike race with a nice shiny medal for them at the end and a pat on the back.
    I think most people know someone who has at least attempted to commit suicide, your mental health can literally kill you yet its not given enough of a priority.
    To see a fully trained and experienced counsellor or psychotherapist costs at least 50 to 100 euro+ depending on how qualified the professional is. This makes adequate mental health care out of reach for allot people, particularly young people, unemployed and those on low wage so mental health care is really left up to charities and not for profit organisations which do really great work but allot of the counsellors working for these places are often students or recent graduates who are often times inexperienced and although well meaning, they cant adequately help someone who needs it. Patients are often left feeling patronised or misunderstood which only leads them to feel even more hopeless. A doctor's only answer to mental health is prescription drugs which don't work for everyone. Many people don't have the emotional support of friends or family and when they try to reach out they're met with judgment and uncaring responses.
    Yet Ireland's answer to mental health is to go talk to someone, go to a doctor or even worse responses such as go for a walk or do some exercise.

Other countries fund all different types of mental health care such as art and music therapies, in every other country in Europe an art therapist is placed on a list of the countries psychotherapists, they are considered professionals. In Ireland this profession isn't taken seriously and the therapists arent considered 'real therapists' even though it's been proven to help with drug addiction, criminals, children, teenagers, special needs like autism and adhd, depression and even stroke and brain damaged victims but its a difficult and expensive course to get into and jobs are limited.

A doctor doesn't just prescribe medication as a solution. Doctors can refer patients to their local psychiatric care unit. There people are assessed and monitored. Therapies are prescribed here. I have seen art therapy and music being offered. I can't say the mental health services in Ireland are great. They can be lacking in many areas as not every county has every treatment which is very unfair.

I do think there is a lot less sigma around depression and anxiety in the last year or so. I wonder if people would be so open minded when it comes to personality disorders, bipolar etc. I think not.

I also think people confuse mild depression and clinical depression. Some lifestyle changes may help with mild depression. To say the same to a person with clinical depression is like telling someone with a broken leg to walk it off.

Advertisement