Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tank relocation rough price?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all.
    Looking for a rough price for replacing and relocating the water tanks in attic and the hot water cylinder.
    The house is a 1970s bungalow, with the hot cylnder in a hotpress in the living room(which is odd to me?), there is a oil fired stanley in kitchen and a stove in living room with backboiler,

I want to replace the old cylinder with a new one (current on is old and a bit small) would like a more efficient one, But i also would like to relocate it to the attic to help with water pressure as hot pressure is pretty poor now ( so i assuming if i put it higher itl get better could be totally wrong ?)
    Is there a reason other than warming your towels n sheets that it needs to be on ground floor or can i just re-pipe it to attic?(pipes are all copper with a few bits of PVC (assume PVC is mains form well)
    I would also like to replace and relocate the main water tank in attic as its currently sitting bang in the middle and taking up all the space with pipes etc, want to move it to to one side so can get around it easier etc. Would probably replace the tank while im at it as its absolutely mank looking and the thought of drinking that water when brushing teeth etc is not so nice.

So my questions in summary are:
    1 is it possible/ feasible to move hot cylnder to attic?
    2 If yes how much would it cost for piping /fittings and labour?
    3 How much would it cost to the tanks moved upstairs "main water and rad top up tank"
    4 Is there anything else i would or should do while im at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hot water cylinder in attic is possible but I'm not sure if it is legal Due to fire risk. I do a lot of work for a Doctor who has a lot of properties. In his own house he got someone to move the cylinder to the attic. Long story short immersion caught fire a few years later. The roof of the house was in flames before they got the smell downstairs. Firemen arrived & put fire out. I can't say if he was "the" fire officer but one of them was jumping up & down about the fact that it was in the attic in the first place. The family had to move out for 3 months while there house was repaired. I'd suggest checking fire regulations here.
    You will have greater heat loss from your cylinder in the attic even with a fully insulated cylinder but there'd be much less chance of pipes freezing.

Impossible to price without seeing the job.

Bottom of the water tank has to higher than the top of cylinder so if you do move water tanks they have to be raised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭youtheman

GOGRAHAM wrote: »
    But i also would like to relocate it to the attic to help with water pressure as hot pressure is pretty poor now ( so i assuming if i put it higher itl get better could be totally wrong ?)

Putting your cylinder in the attic won't do anything for your water pressure as your pressure is governed by the 'head' of water which is essentially the top of the water level in your header tank, relative to sink, bath etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GOGRAHAM

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Hot water cylinder in attic is possible but I'm not sure if it is legal Due to fire risk. I do a lot of work for a Doctor who has a lot of properties. In his own house he got someone to move the cylinder to the attic. Long story short immersion caught fire a few years later. The roof of the house was in flames before they got the smell downstairs. Firemen arrived & put fire out. I can't say if he was "the" fire officer but one of them was jumping up & down about the fact that it was in the attic in the first place. The family had to move out for 3 months while there house was repaired. I'd suggest checking fire regulations here.
    You will have greater heat loss from your cylinder in the attic even with a fully insulated cylinder but there'd be much less chance of pipes freezing.

Impossible to price without seeing the job.

Bottom of the water tank has to higher than the top of cylinder so if you do move water tanks they have to be raised

Wow i never even thought of that !! maybe i should leave it where it is...
    @youtheman
    "Putting your cylinder in the attic won't do anything for your water pressure as your pressure is governed by the 'head' of water which is essentially the top of the water level in your header tank, relative to sink, bath etc."

I never thought of it that way very good point, another reason not to bother moving it and just upgrade the cylinder to a better quality one, save myself some hassle and money moving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

There are good reasons for oil tank distances
    http://fueloilnews.co.uk/2016/03/bungalow-destroyed-by-tank-fire/

Advertisement