Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to become a doctor

Options
  • 11-04-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey
    Im kinda having trouble to choosing what I wanna be in the future. Im in 5th year. Fairly average among my subjects. Weakest sub would be English and Chem
    I would love to become a doctor but reading what people write that its such a stressful long road really changes my decision.
    I was wondering if there is any other Science courses with PhDs or higher.
    what about doing science in general then transfering to Medicine or is that more expensive. If I can get a PhD by studying a course in Science will it be good enough for a job with almost same pay as a doctor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It all depends. You need to first ask yourself, why do you "need" to become a doctor?
    Is it the money or do you think you have a calling to that area?
    I suggest that you try and get some work experience in a local hospital to see if you still think the same (volunteer - don't expect payment), but at your age, a week of real life experience could save years of toil for a course you don't love just to get credentials.
    Some science courses do allow transfers, but only if you can prove you have the academic ability. Otherwise you could go abroad - eastern Europe (Prague/Budapest) offers other routes into medicine.
    Don't just do a course because of the perceived end money if its not something you have an ability for and not something that you'd enjoy. Its long unsociable hours (at least for the first few years) so you'd want to be pretty sure it's for you.
    As for getting a PhD, well, I have one in a STEM subject but it doesn't qualify me to do medicine. I'd still have to go the same route and back through an accredited course with x amount of years ahead of me - though perhaps I might be able to skip a year. Hardly seems the optimum route seeing as it took me 8 years to get to the PhD in the first place.

Also, all courses offer an opportunity to pursue a PhD but you cannot just start a course and get one. You have to meet the minimum criteria (i.e. first get honours degree or masters with a certain grade, you may then apply for doctorate positions). As for Higher Doctorates, I'm still at a loss as to how you get one of those without being some sort of incredibly gifted and incredibly lucky genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sarah98 wrote: »
    If I can get a PhD by studying a course in Science will it be good enough for a job with almost same pay as a doctor?

If you get a phd and a job, then by definition you have a job that pays the same pay as a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Sarah98

It all depends. You need to first ask yourself, why do you "need" to become a doctor?
    Is it the money or do you think you have a calling to that area?
    I suggest that you try and get some work experience in a local hospital to see if you still think the same (volunteer - don't expect payment), but at your age, a week of real life experience could save years of toil for a course you don't love just to get credentials.
    Some science courses do allow transfers, but only if you can prove you have the academic ability. Otherwise you could go abroad - eastern Europe (Prague/Budapest) offers other routes into medicine.
    Don't just do a course because of the perceived end money if its not something you have an ability for and not something that you'd enjoy. Its long unsociable hours (at least for the first few years) so you'd want to be pretty sure it's for you.
    As for getting a PhD, well, I have one in a STEM subject but it doesn't qualify me to do medicine. I'd still have to go the same route and back through an accredited course with x amount of years ahead of me - though perhaps I might be able to skip a year. Hardly seems the optimum route seeing as it took me 8 years to get to the PhD in the first place.

Also, all courses offer an opportunity to pursue a PhD but you cannot just start a course and get one. You have to meet the minimum criteria (i.e. first get honours degree or masters with a certain grade, you may then apply for doctorate positions). As for Higher Doctorates, I'm still at a loss as to how you get one of those without being some sort of incredibly gifted and incredibly lucky genius.

Right now I would love to be a doctor but listening to people smarter than me saying that it's half impossible always makes me change my mind. At the very least I want to get a PhD. I'm great in science and don't mind what PhD to get. I would like to know what course would help me make medicine in the future and help people who are sick. That is my greatest goal. My friends say you will have to become a doctor but is there other ways to do it. What course in college can help me in the end to work in a lab or help the sick.

If you get a phd and a job, then by definition you have a job that pays the same pay as a doctor.

I understand but I'm struggling in choosing what is the quickest way to get a PhD. Do I do science subject and then choose what interests me. Or just go straight in biochemistry or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you understand the difference between a medical doctor and a PhD?

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Do you understand the difference between a medical doctor and a PhD?

No please explain. You can get a PhD in any course but a medical doctor means you have to study medicine in college right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you looking for a course of study based on how much you will earn in the future as a result of the qualification?

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you looking for a course of study based on how much you will earn in the future as a result of the qualification?

No not really. I just love science and working in a lab. I just want the name Doctor written before my name plus I love helping people. I just don't want to waste my talent when I know I have the ability to help people. I just don't want to make a stupid Mistake in choosing something when I could do so much better in something else. For example I'm strong in maths and love computers but if I do science I can help so much people. I just need to know a course that is doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Have you spoken to your school guidance counsellor?

ElleEm wrote: »
    Have you spoken to your school guidance counsellor?

Yes but she is no help. I love all subjects in school and only not good in French English and History. But that leaves Irish, Biology, Chem and Maths. I can choose so much with these subjects but don't know what. I love to become a doctor. Like again I don't mind a PhD in any course from above subjects. I think the big question is what PhD course can the above subjects give me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes but she is no help. I love all subjects in school and only not good in French English and History. But that leaves Irish, Biology, Chem and Maths. I can choose so much with these subjects but don't know what. I love to become a doctor. Like again I don't mind a PhD in any course from above subjects. I think the big question is what PhD course can the above subjects give me?

Ok. If you want to become a medical doctor you need to study medicine end of.

A PHD will give you the title doctor but not the ability to medically treat people

Ok. If you want to become a medical doctor you need to study medicine end of.

A PHD will give you the title doctor but not the ability to medically treat people
    Ok that was a perfect answer. But to become a medical doctor I can't take any route but to study medicine? Is there any other way to easily get into medicine if you don't get the points from LC?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

You can do post graduate entry to a medicine course, but the fastest way to a medical doctor is to study undergraduate medicine.

You can get a PhD in anything (languages/business/science etc), it's probably only wish going that far in a subject if you want to stay in academia/research.

otwb1 wrote: »
    You can do post graduate entry to a medicine course, but the fastest way to a medical doctor is to study undergraduate medicine.

You can get a PhD in anything (languages/business/science etc), it's probably only wish going that far in a subject if you want to stay in academia/research.
    What's a post graduate?

What's a post graduate?

A degree after your primary degree that you do after the leaving cert

A degree after your primary degree that you do after the leaving cert

So if I do a degree in science and then I can go into medicine. Just like that? Or do I sit an exam?

So if I do a degree in science and then I can go into medicine. Just like that? Or do I sit an exam?

Do a search on boards for gamsat. It's an entire forum dedicated to the subject

Advertisement