Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a programming course

Options
  • 11-04-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.
    I have been studying with codecademy for a few months, eventually i'd like to work in the industry as a programmer.
    Does anyone know of any computer science courses that can be done online ? I already have a level 7 degree but i'm willing to start off at the beginning.
    Any advice on how i can get into programming is greatly appreciated !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

I'd search the archives of this board, plenty of advice there. The UK's Open University is the most obvious course which can be done online. Many Irish universities also offer online qualifications nowadays.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭pillphil

Are you looking to go back to college or for free online courses?

Free online: In no particular order

https://www.freecodecamp.com/
    Similar to code academy but with projects and collaberation. Teaches HTML, CSS and Javascript to start

www.edx.org
    Has lots of different courses, here are a couple.
    https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x Teaches C and I think goes into CSS, HTML and SQL further in

https://www.coursera.org/
    Similar to edx

Paid third level:

Not all of these are online, some are just part time. Actually, these are just ones in Dublin I had looked up, so there are others too.

Griffith - BSc(Hons)Computer Science

DIT - BSc Information Systems and Information Technology

DCU - BSc (Hons) in Information Technology / Diploma

TCD - B.Sc. (Hons) Information Systems

NCIRL - BSc (Honours) in Computing

I think DCU and NCIRL have a couple of information systems and management too.
    If you already have a degree, I think you can do a conversion course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I don't know about the course, but search for "open source programming" - that's how you can get into programming, get honest feedback about your code and build you portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

There are also Springboard courses, https://www.springboardcourses.ie that cater for people wanting to change disciplines
    and/or upskill. I think there are rules got to do with social welfare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Look into Springboard for definite. You may qualify depending on your current situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Whats the lvl 7 in?

The focus should be to get a lvl 8 in Software Development. Thats the requirement for most jobs.

You often hear of people saying that people can get jobs without a lvl 8 but the only situation i ever seen someone get a job that way was a lad that worked in a call centre for years who had a huge interest in software and had a good portfolio made in his spare time. Just by chance he knew another lad who worked in a small company that was contracted to build some software for the call centre he was working in.

Long story short he got some work experience in development and then that allowed him to get another small job which he had to move to the other end of the country for.

In the end he had 2 years experience and built on that.

For me the idea of not going to college and working in a good development role is a myth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Whats the lvl 7 in?

The focus should be to get a lvl 8 in Software Development. Thats the requirement for most jobs.

You often hear of people saying that people can get jobs without a lvl 8 but the only situation i ever seen someone get a job that way was a lad that worked in a call centre for years who had a huge interest in software and had a good portfolio made in his spare time. Just by chance he knew another lad who worked in a small company that was contracted to build some software for the call centre he was working in.

Long story short he got some work experience in development and then that allowed him to get another small job which he had to move to the other end of the country for.

For me the idea of not going to college and working in a good development role is a myth.
    Apologies for the silly question! I've been out of the C.V game for the last 15 years, but will soon be coming to the end of a level 8 qualification so it's time to start thinking about getting one done. Do we put our level qualification on our C.V? or is it enough that the employer will know what level it is anyway, by the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Apologies for the silly question! I've been out of the C.V game for the last 15 years, but will soon be coming to the end of a level 8 qualification so it's time to start thinking about getting one done. Do we put our level qualification on our C.V? or is it enough that the employer will know what level it is anyway, by the title?

On your cv you would write something like..

Award: B.S.c Engineering
    Result : Second class honours, Grade 1 (2.1) (not mandatory up to you if you want to disclose this)

You don't need to write it's a level 8 but you can if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Whats the lvl 7 in?

It may be a myth to you, but I have first hand experience of many people who are self taught (no third level, or non-software related third level), doing quite well in the industry. I am three years into a career in software development after a change of career in my mid thirties, and got a development job very quickly with one of the larger multinationals after achieving a level 7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Good to hear that. Mid thirties as well and currently doing a level 8 diploma in software with the hope of getting my foot in the door somewhere. I will have the qualifications as my primary degree is in computers and maths but zero experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ThrillCosby

pillphil wrote: »
    Are you looking to go back to college or for free online courses?

Free online: In no particular order

This is all good information, thanks for posting

Advertisement