Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Clubs Abroad

Options
  • 11-04-2016 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭

I'm flying with Aer Lingus next monday and I'm bringing the clubs. Is a travel case necessary?

Friend who used to be a baggage handler said just to make sure a hood is on it and maybe remove the head from the driver. I don't have a travel case and I'm trying to keep as much for the holiday over there so I'd rather not have the expense

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'm flying with Aer Lingus next monday and I'm bringing the clubs. Is a travel case necessary?

Friend who used to be a baggage handler said just to make sure a hood is on it and maybe remove the head from the driver. I don't have a travel case and I'm trying to keep as much for the holiday over there so I'd rather not have the expense

Thanks
    You can get a relatively cheap one for about €45. Legend brand I think. Halpenny and McGuirjs sell them. They're padded and work really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You can also stuff the likes of your shoes and other clothing in them which might mean you only have a small carry on rather than checking 2 bags.

Personally i wouldnt go without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Unlikely to work with Aer lingus or Ryanair.

A good idea would be to pack Towels/soft clothes round the driver under the hood to protect it

Recently flew to the States with BA and was able to check in my Golf bag as my one piece of luggage. There were two of us travelling over and we managed to squeeze in two sets of clubs into the one bag too.

If your a member of a club try asking round for a travel case (The pro tends to be a good one to borrow one off)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

A friend that travels with this clubs a lot always takes the head off his driver and then puts a broom handle into the bag, the logic being that the broom handle is taller than the clubs and will take the brunt of any fall/impact. He's been doing it for years and swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dublin72

Have brought my golf clubs to Spain and Portugal many times and never used a case/bag. I never had any issues. Taking off the driver head is a good idea. Will try that the next time. Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A friend that travels with this clubs a lot always takes the head off his driver and then puts a broom handle into the bag, the logic being that the broom handle is taller than the clubs and will take the brunt of any fall/impact. He's been doing it for years and swears by it.
    I do similar, but instead of a broom handle, I tie the shafts together with cable ties. My driver and fairway woods have detachable heads so they come off and go in one of the pockets and the shafts tied together and slotted into one of the dividers in my golf bag. Irons are tied together in threes and it all makes the shafts so much stronger and resistant to any bangs or knocks. Like the poster above, doing this allows me get two sets in the one travel bag and still under the weight limit. Extra clothes and towels around the top to help cushion everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I was planning on bringing the trolley bag as it has the individual dividers which I'd hope ( along with an umbrella/broom handle) with keep them safe once I stuff a jumper around it.

I'll be sticking some extra clothes etc along with the shoes too.

@Rooney - I'm paying for them as clubs going over and back, think you mis read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Just to come back to this incase anyone was looking for the same answers.

Stuck a broom handle in the middle, 3/2 irons per sleeve and a towel wrapped around the necks and clubs traveled perfect. Loaded the bag aswell ( 18kgs) and no problem with Aer Lingus

Advertisement