Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on plant pots

Options
  • 11-04-2016 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I want to plant some climbers and I'm looking for advice on what kind of planters to use.

The current plan is for some kind of honeysuckle and/or clematis (though I may go for wisteria in one part) to climb a trellis on the side of the house and then across a pergola.

A couple of question:
    1. What kind of pots? - terracotta, fibreclay etc?
      They'll need to be quite durable - once they're there, I'm guessing they'll be a pain to repot.
      So far the nicest looking ones I've found are fibreclay, but will they last?
    2. How big will the pots need to be?

Thanks for looking and any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭macraignil

Have you considered planting the climbers directly in the ground?

There would be more space for the roots to develop over time. I have also read that containers expose roots to more cold in the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,914 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

macraignil wrote: »

There would be more space for the roots to develop over time. I have also read that containers expose roots to more cold in the winter months.
    +1

If this is an option, then there's no contest.

You'll have to be very dedicated to watering if you plant stuff in pots, in the ground you'll get away with far less attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

macraignil wrote: »

Hi thanks,

It would definitely be a better option but there's a patio on that side of the house which we don't want to start digging up.

I'd like to at least try pots first.

We get a lot of frost (still getting it now), so I was thinking of lining the internal sides of the pots with a layer of aeroboard and bark on the top. Will this help?

What are the thoughts on fibre clay pots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭macraignil

Don't know anything about fibre clay pots. Also not sure how well insulation would work outdoors but a covering of mulch over the surface is supposed to help protect plants from what I have read. Solid clay or concrete containers might retain more heat from the day and be better than a lining of insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't use pots that are narrower at the neck than the body. If you need to repot you will find it very difficult to get the plants out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,914 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm no expert on pots I'm afraid (although I have a few, and am demented trying to keep them watered in the summer, hence my post above!) - but I seem to remember hearing that terracotta will hold moisture better than others so may help in the keeping-the-plants-alive department.

My instinct would be that if you're looking for a climber to spread over a large area then you're going to need a very big pot to cope with those roots.

Any good garden centre will be able to advise you, they're usually incredibly helpful..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm no expert on pots I'm afraid (although I have a few, and am demented trying to keep them watered in the summer, hence my post above!) - but I seem to remember hearing that terracotta will hold moisture better than others so may help in the keeping-the-plants-alive department.

My instinct would be that if you're looking for a climber to spread over a large area then you're going to need a very big pot to cope with those roots.

Any good garden centre will be able to advise you, they're usually incredibly helpful..

I would expect the opposite, any type of clay pot will act like a sponge unless effectively glazed and I'd imagine they would be quite expensive.
    OP, Clematis are much better in the ground but if you really want to grow them in pots, look for the slower growing varieties whose roots will take longer to develop. Clematis also like their roots to be cool so standing a pot in full sun in July will not make them happy, cover the top of the soil with pebbles and keep it moist. Also bear in mind that you'll need a pot of about 50cm diameter to house the roots and when that is filled with soil and drainage medium it''s not something you'll want to carry around.
    Why not go for wooden boxes and line the sides with plastic which will both delay decay and also serve to keep the moisture in the soil? Also more aesthetically pleasing IMO.

Advertisement