Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irons for a starter

Options
  • 11-04-2016 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Is it alright to use a 7 as the lowest even though you lose out on distance ..I'm playing nearly a year now and I'm comfortable with the higher clubs ,but terrible with the longer irons ...I have tried hybrids but I'm very inconsistent with them ..always land in the rough or trees ...
    Sometimes I think I may be better off sticking to 7 and higher maybe until my swing gets better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Is it alright to use a 7 as the lowest even though you lose out on distance ..I'm playing nearly a year now and I'm comfortable with the higher clubs ,but terrible with the longer irons ...I have tried hybrids but I'm very inconsistent with them ..always land in the rough or trees ...
    Sometimes I think I may be better off sticking to 7 and higher maybe until my swing gets better

Scoring wise, you're probably best sticking to the higher irons.
    However, you're going to have to grab the bull by the horns at some stage. Maybe hit the range with just your 4 and 5 iron for a few weeks. Start off hitting half shots and then ramp it up as you get more confident.

As always, lessons with a good pro will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

As eomeone who suffered with their irons recently, I can understand your pain. ;)

A mistake a lot of beginners make with irons (or any club) is using their arms and/or wrists too much and not their hips/body turn, and although you can get away with it with the short irons and wedges, it falls apart completely with the longer irons.

A good exercise is to truncate your backswing almost to the point that the club shaft doesn't go much above horizontal. You'll find that there's no way to successfully make a shot using your arms alone. You almost automatically turn your hips through the shot to get the ball to fly and if you repeat this enough, you'll find it comes automatically after a while.

Start your backswing by bringing your right hip back and your left forward. Not much, but Seve used to say that he imagined a nail going through his right buttock from the front, driving that hip back a bit; Seve was a masochist :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Is it alright to use a 7 as the lowest even though you lose out on distance ..I'm playing nearly a year now and I'm comfortable with the higher clubs ,but terrible with the longer irons ...I have tried hybrids but I'm very inconsistent with them ..always land in the rough or trees ... Sometimes I think I may be better off sticking to 7 and higher maybe until my swing gets better

You are likely to become proficient with a 5 or 7 wood a lot quicker than a long iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

I have never tried a wood ....all I know is I'm terrible with hybrids ..
    Should I try a fairway wood ...I heard they are v hard to use

I have never tried a wood ....all I know is I'm terrible with hybrids ..
    Should I try a fairway wood ...I heard they are v hard to use
    You use hybrids very much like you would an iron. So if you're having problems with the irons, your hybrids would also suffer. Fairway woods swing similarly to how a driver does, the hard part is hitting them cleanly off the deck. :)

• Advertisement

Well my drive is ok fairly straight ...it's my second shot that breaks my heart all over the place ..when I get near the green I'm grand again with the short irons ....
    Maybe I'm strange but I don't like hybrids at all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Well my drive is ok fairly straight ...it's my second shot that breaks my heart all over the place ..when I get near the green I'm grand again with the short irons ....

The trick to a hybrid is imagining it an iron and not over swing it like a wood.
    Try and hit a hybrid as if it was a 7 iron, same swing speed, same ball position and hit down on it like a 7 iron.

Try that exercise with the irons. Even with a severely truncated back swing, you'll be surprised at how good it is. You can even do it at home (with a soft ball if necessary, but without is good too).

Sorry which exercise is that

Sorry which exercise is that
    Post #3 above ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah I have started swinging from hips and yes I get a better shot ...I used to put my ball slightly forward for hybrids but from now I will leave it in the middle and just imaging I'm swinging the 7 iron ..

Yeah I have started swinging from hips and yes I get a better shot ...I used to put my ball slightly forward for hybrids but from now I will leave it in the middle and just imaging I'm swinging the 7 iron ..
    It used to be the thing with irons to place the ball towards your front foot with the longer ones and the back with the shorter ones. Modern irons tend to be played more from the centre, but I'm still in the camp that says you reposition depending on the length of the iron. Tom Watson has said that the longer irons should be picked rather than hit down on and that works for me too.

For a given value of 'works'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

A mistake a lot of beginners make with irons (or any club) is using their arms and/or wrists too much and not their hips/body turn, and although you can get away with it with the short irons and wedges, it falls apart completely with the longer irons.

I got a lesson once. Was having trouble with my driver always sliding off to the right.

Pro asked me to hit an 8 iron. "But it's my driver that's the problem!"

His reply was that it was my swing which was the problem, and because I don't hit the 8 iron as far, therefore I don't notice it as much. He was bang on. Not only did it fix (well improve) my driver, but when I was going for the green, I was hitting it a lot more consistently as opposed to landing just off it.

Advertisement