Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare or Ring of Kerry Golf Club

Options
  • 11-04-2016 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

New golfer ( no handicap ) just starting out with lessons and i feel its time to join a club and get some saturday golf in rather than green fees here and there.

I spend most of my weekends in Killarney as my Missus is there but she works saturdays so it leaves it wide open to enjoy some golf.

I've looked into Kenmare Golf Club and Ring of Kerry aswell which are not too expensive and are a short journey.

Has anyone any experience with either in the past year or two? I've found a thread from 2012 but feel that is out of the loop now 4 years on.

Thanks
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

New golfer ( no handicap ) just starting out with lessons and i feel its time to join a club and get some saturday golf in rather than green fees here and there.

I spend most of my weekends in Killarney as my Missus is there but she works saturdays so it leaves it wide open to enjoy some golf.

I've looked into Kenmare Golf Club and Ring of Kerry aswell which are not too expensive and are a short journey.

Has anyone any experience with either in the past year or two? I've found a thread from 2012 but feel that is out of the loop now 4 years on.

Thanks
    Joe
    Kenmare GC is shorter and has soil based greens (i.e old style), the demographic of players in Kenmare GC is older, 40++ and the Handicap range is leaning towards the higher HC. AFAIK the Sub is 425 euro or 295 if joining for the first time and under 30 years of age.
    ROK GC is a more scenic, longer course with sand based greens (modern USGA style), the playing membership comprises of guys in their 30's and early fourties and has a wide HC range but leaning towards the lower end of the scale, some might say that is to do reflects the quality of the course, in so far as it produces better players, the annual sub is 250 euros.
    I'd advise playing both courses and seeing which one you prefer, also while you are there, chat to the people in charge to get a better idea of what's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Why not join The Ross Golf Club in Killarney or Beaufort Golf Club.
    The Ross is only 5 mins from town & Beaufort is only about 20 mins.
    Ross is a 9 hole & Beaufort is 18.
    A trip to Kenmare is the best part of an hour from Killarney

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    Why not join The Ross Golf Club in Killarney or Beaufort Golf Club.
    The Ross is only 5 mins from town & Beaufort is only about 20 mins.
    Ross is a 9 hole & Beaufort is 18.
    A trip to Kenmare is the best part of an hour from Killarney

Kenmare is 41 mins via Kilgarvan and 45 mins via Molls gap according to google maps and everyone knows google maps estimates its travel times using the geriatric scale, so they can both be done in 30 mins and 35 mins respectively and comfortably without taking chances!, plus the drive over molls gap is stunning and changes every time you travel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Thanks for the heads up lads... You wouldn't find the spin from Killarney to Kenmare to be honest. I might check them out over the coming weekends. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up lads... You wouldn't find the spin from Killarney to Kenmare to be honest. I might check them out over the coming weekends. Thanks again.

I'd recommend Beaufort to be honest, fine course and nice surroundings.

Spoiled for choice around the Killarney area really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Surprised no one has suggested Dooks, only about 1/2 an hour from Killarney.

They are doing a Trial membership for somewhere round the €500 mark.

Killorgan would be an option out that direction too and even closer to Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Kenmare is 41 mins via Kilgarvan and 45 mins via Molls gap according to google maps and everyone knows google maps estimates its travel times using the geriatric scale, so they can both be done in 30 mins and 35 mins respectively and comfortably without taking chances!, plus the drive over molls gap is stunning and changes every time you travel it.

Try going over Moll's in the summer time with the Ring of Kerry in full swing with tourists. And the Kilgarvin route can be slow if you meet a Healy Rae truck. There's a few of the about.

Dooks is a much better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭mrskinner

Castleisland or Macroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

mrskinner wrote: »
    Castleisland or Macroom?

Macroom would be a bit of a trek but should be cheaper than some of those listed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Having spoke to some of the Ring of Kerry members I have my mind made up. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭mrskinner

Killarney to Macroom golf club on N22 is 42 minutes(Google maps).
    To Castleisland GC is 28 minutes on N23.

JJTippBhoy wrote: »
    Try going over Moll's in the summer time with the Ring of Kerry in full swing with tourists. And the Kilgarvin route can be slow if you meet a Healy Rae truck. There's a few of the about.

Dooks is a much better option.

If your worried about traffic while tavelling over Molls gap you're simply doing it wrong!!!, I hear your point about the Healy Rae trucks via Kilgarvan, and while that's a distinct possibility even on weekends (because they work 24/7), there are now ample opportunities to overtate thanks to the road improvements that the Healy Raes are responsible for!!!.

Advertisement