Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling league play offs

Options
  • 11-04-2016 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Lot of talk over the weekend about the Laois and Westmeath playoff.

What do people think aboput it?

I was totally against it up to this year but after seeing how Kerry did iv changed my mind.

I still dont think the 1B team should have 2 chances. Kerry should never have had to play Laois but thats another story. I do however feel the 2A champions and team who are last in 1B should play. People will say that Westmeath should go up as champions etc but if they weren't able to beat a team who had lost all of their games, would they really be up to 1B level? Kerry lost out 2 years ago and regrouped to win the following year and it stood to them i my opinion.

The same can be said for the other divisions as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Although I can never see Kerry win a Munster or leinster championship I think in the years too come they might get to offaly/Wexford standard and provide a shock in the qualifiers.

It's going to be Interesting to see how they do this year in the Liam McCarthy. Loais of course are through to a leinster quarter final and will play the runners up of the leinster group stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Their should be no play offs

Westmeath should have been promoted and Laois should have been relegated,if we find ourselves bottom of 1B next year,then we have to go down

The Christy Ring winners are now promoted automatically so why cant the winners of 2A be promoted automatically as well

The craziest thing about the league is you have Limerick in the semi finals but they have to play in 1B next year.

That's not right at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

It is mad system entirely.

Westmeath are like characters in a Beckett play. They've won leagues and CR and still consigned to the nether world! Not that long ago they were beating ourselves. They are cursed with not being a "traditional county". Whatever the fk that means...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It is mad system entirely.

Westmeath are like characters in a Beckett play. They've won leagues and CR and still consigned to the nether world! Not that long ago they were beating ourselves. They are cursed with not being a "traditional county". Whatever the fk that means...

Limerick in 1B next year after so far making the semi finals this year,

Cork in 1A next year,zero points this year,but stayed up because of the play offs

Limerick in 1B next year after so far making the semi finals this year,

Cork in 1A next year,zero points this year,but stayed up because of the play offs

Still think that current set up is best of bad bunch. Not really any difference between the two top divisions and best teams get to play one another anyway so no excuses.

i'd have a lot more sympathy for Westmeath than for Limerick to be honest. Those boys have been dealt the wrong end of stick so often it is a wonder they even bother to tog out any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Its a complete sham.
    How are the winners of the lower divisions to improve if they can't move up? Yet a team that gets battered all year long stays up on the strength of winning one game that shouldn't have been played in the first place?
    What's the motivation next year to win your division (against the same teams you beat last year) knowing that you'll probably be playing them again the following year?
    A farce.

Its a complete sham.
    How are the winners of the lower divisions to improve if they can't move up? Yet a team that gets battered all year long stays up on the strength of winning one game that shouldn't have been played in the first place?
    What's the motivation next year to win your division (against the same teams you beat last year) knowing that you'll probably be playing them again the following year?
    A farce.

Yep. Truth as far as anyone below top two is concerned. Almost as if they are daring Kerry and the Westies to play the game.

They had same attitude to Dublin not that long ago. We remember these things. Frankie Murphy and fellas who think they can win games in meetings and brandishing photos of them when they were decent. Fk them. Only place you should win a game is on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭cms88

Its a complete sham.
    A farce.

Thats true, but the other side of it is if they cant beat a team who have lost all their games then are they ready to play at that level?

Westmeath were in a much better place coming into the game last weekend but were, in the end, beaten well by Laois.

Advertisement