Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does Carlow need?

Options
  • 11-04-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I have been playing around with some ideas for starting a new business in Carlow and was curious to find out what people thought is missing from Carlow and which would be viable. I am looking at several different sectors so am open to suggestion.
    Is there a need for another restaurant or coffee shop. What is missing retail wise, or service wise that you may have seen in other towns or on your travels that might work here? Or maybe what is there in Carlow already which is not being done as well as it could (eg car wash service)

Let me know what you think! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

I had a thread here a few weeks ago about the lack of a decent greengrocer in Carlow. Somewhere with locally grown veg and organic options too. The market is good for this but if you miss it on a Saturday morning you have no other option except the supermarkets.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A proper book shop along the lines of the Kilkenny Book Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Fresh fish - maybe to go with the green grocer already mentioned

Several of my staff have lamented the lack of anywhere in the town that serves coffee in the evening ie. without also serving alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kilkea

Blacknight wrote: »

Several of my staff have lamented the lack of anywhere in the town that serves coffee in the evening ie. without also serving alcohol

Thanks, the comment re coffee shops is something which has crossed my mind also. Personally I feel that the existing coffee shops are not really enticing, you either have the generic chains like Costa or else some small cafes which are functional but not the most exciting. Something a bit slicker with nice seating/lighting, cool music, free wifi and possibly a wine licence for later in the evening. Is that the type of thing your staff would be more interested in?

kilkea wrote: »
    Thanks, the comment re coffee shops is something which has crossed my mind also. Personally I feel that the existing coffee shops are not really enticing, you either have the generic chains like Costa or else some small cafes which are functional but not the most exciting. Something a bit slicker with nice seating/lighting, cool music, free wifi and possibly a wine licence for later in the evening. Is that the type of thing your staff would be more interested in?

The main issue is that none of them are open in the evening. As far as I know Costa closes around 6. What's open after that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Carlow Coffee Co was a great little spot, but I wonder if they had the required footfall to stay open. They closed about a year after opening....

Mr E wrote: »
    Carlow Coffee Co was a great little spot, but I wonder if they had the required footfall to stay open. They closed about a year after opening....

And that's the problem with any venture in Carlow. It would need to have good footfall to be viable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Blacknight wrote:

I was doing up a unit across from Ray whelans shop that's going to be a fresh fish shop. Plus there is a cake shop open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

Where is ray whelans?

Carlow is much worse off for shops and cafes than much smaller places like enniscorthy and new ross (which both have fishmongers).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Carlow does not need any more coffee shops. If there was demand for coffee after six the existing shops would have it covered by now.

What missing in Carlow town is

(1) Quality Bakery
    (2) Hydroponics Store
    (3) Barbecue Pit Restaurant
    (4) Chocolate shop
    (5) Doughnut shop (tesco's are terrible)

cocaliquid wrote: »
    Carlow does not need any more coffee shops. If there was demand for coffee after six the existing shops would have it covered by now.
    We aren't going to agree on that
    What missing in Carlow town is

(1) Quality Bakery
    There's more than one
    (2) Hydroponics Store
    (3) Barbecue Pit Restaurant
    (4) Chocolate shop
    (5) Doughnut shop (tesco's are terrible)
    Are you trolling us?

We aren't going to agree on that

There's more than one

Are you trolling us?

Were is there a good Bakery in Carlow which sells fresh bread like the old SuperQuinn used too. ?

Are you trolling us?
    No was throwing out ideas. Did not mean to upset anyone but it seems I have for some unknown reason.

Were is there a good Bakery in Carlow which sells fresh bread like the old SuperQuinn used too. ?

No was throwing out ideas. Did not mean to upset anyone but it seems I have for some unknown reason.

Upset - no.
    There's a bit of a gap between "coffee shops" and "Hydroponics Store"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Crottys?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I honestly think Carlow needs a major employer first before any new small business stands a chance to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭fits

And a functioning town centre. Lower rates and a strategy needed methinks.

Upset - no.
    There's a bit of a gap between "coffee shops" and "Hydroponics Store"

No not really there food related. Think there is a gap in your way of thinking.

Mr E wrote: »
    Crottys?

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement