Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn / very young or small babies

Options
  • 10-04-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Haven't posted in here in a long time. I'm into landscape primarily and a bit of nature as well. However, need to take photos of a newborn.... Never been into portraits. I've googled a lot and found the usual cliché baby holding an adult finger type shots. Just wondering, does anyone have any tips or website they could point me towards? Not looking to directly rip off someone else's style, but just looking for ideas! Thanks! Also, best lens? 85/ 135 primes? Subject won't be moving much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Hey there,

Went through the same research process with my two boys and some friends kids. There's lots of free resources on youtube (check out Ana brandt / creative live) plus there is a tonne of stuff on flickr / 500px. Some photographers who I remember studying were Tim Chandra, and Jessica Mitchell. I also think adrian murray is great though his kids are older now, but worth looking at his full catalogue.

Some tips from my experience:

- Plan and set up as much as possible in advance, babies work on their own time, so you need to be ready for when they are awake / asleep. You don't want to be fussing over lights, clothing, props during the v short window you might get the shot you want.
    - Connected with above. Think about your colour palette in advance (throws, rugs, beanbags etc)
    - If you are going have some shots of the newborns naked, then make sure you have a v warm environment for them (indoor heating), always a good idea to feed them first also so they are content. I usually do those shots last, after they are fed, and asleep
    - Speak to mum and work out bubs typical pattern (what time they are awake / happiest etc) and if possible time your shoot around those times.
    - Personally, i think the longer primes are best (85 and above), together with nice textured props (e.g. blankets over beanbags, nice textured backdrops etc).

Edit: try this bookmark for inspiration - one I had saved from last year. Some are a little naf / staged but you can draw different things from the different examples (e.g. colour palettes, vrs props, vrs processing etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thank you, that is very helpful

Advertisement