Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician off to Canada.

Options
  • 10-04-2016 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone. Recently got my Canadian visa sorted and I'm thinking of heading over later in the year. Anyone know where's the spot to go now where the work is plentiful in construction? I had my heart set on Calgary but I'm not hearing great things about it at the minute! Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

ibuck73 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Recently got my Canadian visa sorted and I'm thinking of heading over later in the year. Anyone know where's the spot to go now where the work is plentiful in construction? I had my heart set on Calgary but I'm not hearing great things about it at the minute! Any help greatly appreciated!

Probably best to avoid Alberta right now as there has been a huge amount of layoffs (especially in the energy sector). Seems to be a lot of construction work in Toronto at the moment though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Durag

I have a friend who is working as an electrician in Vancouver. He has had to change his job twice as he said the bosses seem to kind of exploit temporary foreign workers there and make them work all kinds of hours and all sorts of jobs for a not so great wage when compared to the cost of living there.

I am in Calgary at the moment and while there is still construction going on, it definitely is quiet and I would not recommend someone to come here until it picks up. I'd look at Toronto or Montreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

Stay out of Calgary its a terrible time to be looking for work here. Am also an electrician here with my red seal and without work the last month. I'm sure it will pick back up, if you have your heart set on Calgary probably better off waiting out coming here for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ibuck73

I have loads of work here right now so I might wait until after Christmas and see if it picks up! Il keep monitoring the situation until then!

Advertisement