Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting again

Options
  • 10-04-2016 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get back into playing golf, I was previously playing to 14-16 handicap at various times over the past 10 years but would like to play again.

Where would people suggest to visit or buy 2nd hand. I have my eyes on second hand AP1 714s, Vapor Pros, G30s. I would assume stiff shaft with a 1000e budget, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

1k will buy you a lot of clubs!

My advice is to tell us which golf clubs are closest to you and people will recommend a good local pro from that choice. They will give you good advice and maybe even let you try before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

yipsnomore wrote: »
    1k will buy you a lot of clubs!

My advice is to tell us which golf clubs are closest to you and people will recommend a good local pro from that choice. They will give you good advice and maybe even let you try before you buy.

I'm in Kildare but spend alot of time in Dublin so any of the main stores really

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

brady23 wrote:
    I'm in Kildare but spend alot of time in Dublin so any of the main stores really

I think the reference was to which golf clubs are near you the suggestion is to get the pro to look at you and suggest the right spec for your swing/standard.

First Up wrote: »
    I think the reference was to which golf clubs are near you the suggestion is to get the pro to look at you and suggest the right spec for your swing/standard.

Probably the 714s are the closest but the others aren't too far.
    If I was to go to a retailer which would be best value??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

brady23 wrote: »
    Probably the 714s are the closest but the others aren't too far.
    If I was to go to a retailer which would be best value??

Ah jaysus

• Advertisement

brady23 wrote:
    Probably the 714s are the closest but the others aren't too far. If I was to go to a retailer which would be best value??

Golf club as in place to play golf. Also known as a golf course.

Ha sorry The Curragh, Cill Dara or Dunmurray are very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

The Golf Studio in Celbridge sell primarily second hand clubs, try before you buy on the range aswell. Decent prices with movement if you ask.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    The Golf Studio in Celbridge sell primarily second hand clubs, try before you buy on the range aswell. Decent prices with movement if you ask.

Cool might take a look, Danny Willet just paid for them anyway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Have a look at Adverts.ie, huge value in second hand market.

• Advertisement

Ronney wrote:
    Have a look at Adverts.ie, huge value in second hand market.

Assuming you know what you are looking for. Buying clubs without checking they suit you is at best a risk and at worst a major waste of money.

GET FITTED!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Spending a grand....... I would get fitted ( anywhere really) and spend the money on irons. You should get a pretty decent set 4-sw for say about 700. Then maybe buy second hand 3 wood and hybrid and putter. If you are only starting back you probably dont need driver. God knows i wish i left mine at home most if the time..... Better still i should never have bought it cause i do so well with the 3 wood

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Seve OB wrote: »
    Spending a grand....... I would get fitted ( anywhere really)

Nooooooo!! Which bank - Ahhh any bank:)

Do your research on fitting as well as the clubs(sticks) Huge disparity in fitting standards out there

Didnt mean i would go anywhere. Totally agree, research on where you are going for your fitting first. I just meant GET FITTED!

Got fitted for some items and not for others.
    Irons, driver, 3 wood, hybrid, putter and 2 wedges just over 1K total happy enough overall. Purchased from various places.

Thanks for the insight.

Out of curiosity, what would be people's opinions of Dunmurray Springs, Curragh and Newbridge?
    Most likely courses to try gain membership to

Irons, driver, 3 wood, hybrid, putter and 2 wedges just over 1K total happy enough overall. Purchased from various places.

Thanks for the insight.

Out of curiosity, what would be people's opinions of Dunmurray Springs, Curragh and Newbridge?

Members here in all them places as far as I know. There are a few from dunmurray who play with the boards society...... Come out to the heritage on the 23rd and ask them :)

Never played it myself, nor new bridge, but the curragh is a fine course

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Thanks for the insight.

Agree with Seve on Curragh. Always really liked Dunmurray. Good mix of holes to test your game and always in good nick anytime I played it. Pro in Clubhouse was a really good guy too. Couple of years since I played it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I am also looking to start playing golf. What do ye mean by "Get fitted". Would your height not determine the length of clubs you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Thanks for the insight.

PM me if you want any advice about Dunmurry, I'm a member there but i've also played the other 2 a good bit.

I am also looking to start playing golf. What do ye mean by "Get fitted". Would your height not determine the length of clubs you need?

Club length is only one factor and that's just about your height. There are other factors more to do with how you swing and your general flexibility/athleticism. Shaft flex, kick point, lie, loft - I know this is probably gobblydook to you but these are all variables and should be tailored to your needs/potential. If you go to a proper fitting place they will explain it all and you will experience the difference.

If you are a complete beginner I wouldn't worry about it too much - any "starter" set will be designed for maximum "forgiveness". But if you are serious about it and are getting better quickly, you should get equipment that will maximise your potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Club length is only one factor and that's just about your height. There are other factors more to do with how you swing and your general flexibility/athleticism. Shaft flex, kick point, lie, loft - I know this is probably gobblydook to you but these are all variables and should be tailored to your needs/potential. If you go to a proper fitting place they will explain it all and you will experience the difference.

If you are a complete beginner I wouldn't worry about it too much - any "starter" set will be designed for maximum "forgiveness". But if you are serious about it and are getting better quickly, you should get equipment that will maximise your potential.

Thanks. I played a lot at underage level but that was 25 years ago. I was just going to go out and grab some Ping irons and a big driver. I will go and get fitted so and see what they advise.

Thanks. I played a lot at underage level but that was 25 years ago. I was just going to go out and grab some Ping irons and a big driver. I will go and get fitted so and see what they advise.

A bit like riding a bike it will probably all come back to you. If you are serious about taking it up then a fitting session will be well worth it.

Well actually height is not all that could determine the length of your shaft. Everyone's arms are different lengths and this also plays a factor. How you hold the club plays a factor..... It near you or far away from you. These can be mitigated to an extent by holding up or down the grip, but if you are willing to spend the few quid on something a level above a beginners set, go the whole hog and get fitted

Seve OB wrote:
    Well actually height is not all that could determine the length of your shaft. Everyone's arms are different lengths and this also plays a factor. How you hold the club plays a factor..... It near you or far away from you. These can be mitigated to an extent by holding up or down the grip, but if you are willing to spend the few quid on something a level above a beginners set, go the whole hog and get fitted

Fair enough; I was just making a distinction between purely physical issues like height and more technical factors.

Fitting is such a no brainer. Even ten minutes with a trained analyst in a club pro shop or retailer is so easy to do it amazes me the number of otherwise serious golfers who don't do it.

Advertisement