Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting The Stove Die Out

Options
  • 09-04-2016 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

When do you? I figured I'd try the night of Paddys Day. Then, I figured, I could get the spring cleaning done and breeze into Summer on a draft of warm air.

Big fukcing mistake! I've been up to my neck in spring cleaning, ever since. It's all I do. All of every day. And, when I finish for the night? I sit here, typing with cold fingers. It's 54.9F in here. I'm Not comfortable :mad:

Should have kept the 24/7 stove burning. I'd lived, perfectly happily, under a shroud of turf dust sirocco and cobwebs for months and months. I think I've made my move too early.

I used to drink in a pub where they'd stop lighting the fire at Easter. That could be a bit of a shock to the system too!

So, what about you? Have ye any set date on which ye say; " That's it. No more artificial heating till ..... "?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just back from the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Stigura wrote: »
    When do you? I figured I'd try the night of Paddys Day. Then, I figured, I could get the spring cleaning done and breeze into Summer on a draft of warm air.

Big fukcing mistake! I've been up to my neck in spring cleaning, ever since. It's all I do. All of every day. And, when I finish for the night? I sit here, typing with cold fingers. It's 54.9F in here. I'm Not comfortable :mad:

Should have kept the 24/7 stove burning. I'd lived, perfectly happily, under a shroud of turf dust sirocco and cobwebs for months and months. I think I've made my move too early.

I used to drink in a pub where they'd stop lighting the fire at Easter. That could be a bit of a shock to the system too!

So, what about you? Have ye any set date on which ye say; " That's it. No more artificial heating till ..... "?

We had hailstones 3 hours ago in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Still lighting mine, still quite cold at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

About the 15th May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I will keep mine going in the sitting room till May, and then if it's rainy outside, I'll throw it on again-the rads won't be on after next week-I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

timthumbni wrote: »
    We had hailstones 3 hours ago in Northern Ireland.

Ye wouldn't be long getting frostbit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Fahrenheit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fahrenheit?

By Christian Dior

No doubt the backwards man will arrive back pissed from the pub shortly and educate everyone of how his turf based open fire has been nicely warming up his sausage rolls for the last 5 hours just in time for him getting back. :-)

There's a lot to be said about turf to be fair and it's a dying art.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

timthumbni wrote: »
    No doubt the backwards man will arrive back pissed from the pub shortly and educate everyone of how his turf based open fire has been nicely warming up his sausage rolls for the last 5 hours just in time for him getting back. :-)

There's a lot to be said about turf to be fair and it's a dying art.

Turf is smelly, dirty and getting the stupid stuff off the bog is backbreaking work and the cause of nightmares for me as a child.

• Advertisement

Turf is smelly, dirty and getting the stupid stuff off the bog is backbreaking work and the cause of nightmares for me as a child.

Never cut it though my father did. Never noticed the smell of the dry turf. Quite like burning it as it reminds me of earlier times tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Just get central heating you weirdo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Just get central heating you weirdo.
    Shhh, don't scare the counthry folk. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It was colder tonight than it had been in November and December.

We don't seem to get seasons here, just wet mild muck with the odd cold snap.

The north east seaboard of the USA is the place to live if you want the proper four seasons. A stunning part of this planet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We don't seem to get seasons here, just wet mild muck with the odd cold snap.
    True enough. If you ended up in a coma and woke up a while later you'd be hard pressed to immediately tell the season through the hospital window. Not unless you could see deciduous trees from your vantage point. Even then you could be many months out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Winter - mid-December - mid-February - wet, cold, stormy, ick.
    Spring - mid-February to whenever it feels like - sunshine, hail, rain, sleet, snow, howling gales, often in the same day.
    Leaving Cert season - two weeks of glorious sunshine
    Autumn - the rest of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's an open fire with back boiler, rather than a stove, but it depends on the weather and not a fixed date. some years we dispense with it on 31st May and don't light it again until 1st June.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Let it go out a couple of weeks ago, then just lit it in the evening. But back on to 24/7 now as we got sick of not being warm enough. Wierd year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This has to be the coldest April in my living memory. It's colder now than it was in December, FFS!:(:mad:

Get a Dyson fan heater if you are willing to splash out. They make even a big room toasty in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It'll be a cold day in hell before I stop lighting my stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was just thinking i better order some more wood for the stove, its been like January outside this week.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We have the heating on all year round. Comes on about an hour before we get up, then it's on again in the evenings. Sometime we have the open fire going but that's usually only on those dark drab evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This all basically sounds like foreign gobbledegook to me. We light the fire to have the sitting room cosy and atmospheric while we sit and relax. Heat comes from the central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ours is lit, give or take, everyday of the year. On days like today it's already lighting but come summer it isn't until late evening and at that's its more a comfort thing rather than practical -it wouldn't be on long enough to heat the rads /water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

seamus wrote: »
    This all basically sounds like foreign gobbledegook to me. We light the fire to have the sitting room cosy and atmospheric while we sit and relax. Heat comes from the central heating.

This is why townies live in hovels and culchies live in mansions. Lack of prudence.

Stick in a back boiler so the fire is running the central heating, no point running two burners doing the same job.

There's and old saying, you can't eat the view, but there's usually some way to make a pound out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Shhh, don't scare the counthry folk. :D

Cow patties in the Aga...

Is there anything those delicious creatures can't do for us?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stigura wrote: »
    It's 54.9F in here.
    What's that in real money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Ah, just put another jumper on, would ye? No heat til November!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

:) So, I'm not completely alone in this then? It's bloody 52.2 now! :eek: Fukc This for a game of " I love Ireland in the spring time "

Must say, when I mentioned to my mate that I'd stopped the stove, he looked at me a bit old fashioned. I just thought, 'Yeah. But, you have a wife and kids. I'll just man up a bit.'

Man up? Much more of this and I'll be growing thicker and more profuse fukcing body hair!

Dyson Fan Heater? Isn't that one of those yokes ye plug into ye bank account? I have got one of these Calor ones here. Dragged it out of its corner the other day. Been there years. Not sure if it'd work now. Don't want to blow up.

Anyway, yeah. Welcome to Spring! Blowing a six out there. Yet my Lizard has her first egg today Every cloud, and all that, then :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement