Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Options
  • 09-04-2016 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone here ever watch this TV series from the 1980s, with Jeremy Brett as the great detective?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

branie2 wrote: »
    Did anyone here ever watch this TV series from the 1980s, with Jeremy Brett as the great detective?

Yup. Often repeated on ITV3. Many consider Brett to be *the* best interpretation of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I watched it as a teenager in the late 1980s on UTV (Granada).

The series was beautifully produced. I'd expect the budget was colossal.

The plots and acting were always top notch. If I recall, it was broadcast on a Wednesday or Thursday night.

Jeremy Brett was the best Holmes ever. He was made for the part.... manic, unpredictable and antisocial.

Edward Hardwicke was the perfect foil as Dr. Watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I always preferred the ancient b/w series from the late 1930/40s starring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce as the bumbling Dr.Watson. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_%281939_film_series%29

annex-rathbone-basil-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-the_01.jpg?w=490&h=362

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

I never saw it on its original run (didn't have the channels) although I'm sure I may have seen it at some stage some time after like once or twice. But I did come across it a couple of years ago online and watched it (between the seasons of the Sherlock series) and found it truly compelling. I thought it was a brilliant production. Brett was simply fantastic, so engaging in the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I always preferred the ancient b/w series from the late 1930/40s starring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce as the bumbling Dr.Watson. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_%281939_film_series%29

annex-rathbone-basil-adventures-of-sherlock-holmes-the_01.jpg?w=490&h=362

Absolute classic series I love it I'm actually watching terror by night on blu Ray as I type this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement