Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 10 detecting but not enabling Nvidia GT 520 M

Options
  • 09-04-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

After upgrading my MSI CX640 16Y1 from W7 to W 10, device manager under display adapter shows both the Intel HD 3000 and the Nvidia GT 520 M as enabled.
    I can access the Nvidia Control Panel, and thru G force experience update the drivers. However there is a icon “Nvidia GPU Activity” in the noticification area saying “There are no applications running on ths GPU”. So I imagine the graphics are provided by the i3 CPU. An inferior configuration for performance. In the previous W 7 OS there was only one entry in display devices; Nvidia, not two as present.
    I have checked bios and there is no entry regarding graphics.
    So has anyone come accross a solution to this issue ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

mrtom wrote: »
    After upgrading my MSI CX640 16Y1 from W7 to W 10, device manager under display adapter shows both the Intel HD 3000 and the Nvidia GT 520 M as enabled.
    I can access the Nvidia Control Panel, and thru G force experience update the drivers. However there is a icon “Nvidia GPU Activity” in the noticification area saying “There are no applications running on ths GPU”. So I imagine the graphics are provided by the i3 CPU. An inferior configuration for performance. In the previous W 7 OS there was only one entry in display devices; Nvidia, not two as present.
    I have checked bios and there is no entry regarding graphics.
    So has anyone come accross a solution to this issue ?

It's a battery saving feature. When something graphically demanding runs it will switch to the Nvidia GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

SickBoy wrote: »
    It's a battery saving feature. When something graphically demanding runs it will switch to the Nvidia GPU.
    So this "switichable" feature came with the W 10 install as this didn't happen with the previous W 7 OS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

So this "switichable" feature came with the W 10 install as this didn't happen with the previous W 7 OS ?

Maybe the driver installation wasn't right in Windows 7.
    Check out http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html for details.

Ok. In the Nvidia Controll Panel there is only one entry, "3 D Settings", seems a bit thin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ok. In the Nvidia Controll Panel there is only one entry, "3 D Settings", seems a bit thin!

Yeah you should be seeing more than that, I think there may be 4 options for it...

Delete any Nvidia drivers you see and start fresh with the Windows 10 driver from the Nvidia site and you should be alright...

Windows update may have auto downloaded the wrong driver...

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    Yeah you should be seeing more than that, I think there may be 4 options for it...

Delete any Nvidia drivers you see and start fresh with the Windows 10 driver from the Nvidia site and you should be alright...

Windows update may have auto downloaded the wrong driver...
    Have done that earlier while troubleshooting, uninstalled Nvidia & downloaded windows video driver ...no change in behaviour described.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you actually tried running a game?

ED E wrote: »
    Have you actually tried running a game?
    No, dont have any ! Ran high bit rate 1080p movie in VLC and got a msg in Nvidia pop up saying "lockapp.exe running".?? Movie plays fine but I still dont know which GPU is running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This is perfectly normal and this is how every Nvidia equipped laptop works - it's called Optimus. It switches to the GPU when it needs to. The notification may be new, but the process itself works the same under Windows 7 as well. I'm not sure why you would be worried really - the GT520 is a rather pointless graphics card as it's very slow and not really any faster than the HD3000 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exactly as Terror has said.

You dont need it
    If you did need it it would be sh1t

/thread

• Advertisement

I didn't know Optimus was about in this early low end card. In the Nvidia Controll Panel there is only one entry, "3 D Settings", seems a bit thin!
    As you may gather, I'm not a gamer, occasionaly I let rip with the default pinball game. Got it ! Though I still dont understand "lockapp".

This is perfectly normal and this is how every Nvidia equipped laptop works - it's called Optimus. It switches to the GPU when it needs to. The notification may be new, but the process itself works the same under Windows 7 as well. I'm not sure why you would be worried really - the GT520 is a rather pointless graphics card as it's very slow and not really any faster than the HD3000 either.
    I'm not realy concerned about gaming just checking my configuration.
    Does this image (attch) indicate how NVIDIA® Optimus™ functions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Physx is a physics engine used in some games. It has nothing to do with normal use of a desktop and is nothing to worry about.

Advertisement