Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet Coaster

Options
  • 09-04-2016 8:57pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it seems like the theme park/rollercoaster sim genre is back with a bang as there are 3 new games in semi-public alpha stage at the moment*. The best looking one seems to be Planet Coaster by the folks at Frontier Developments (Elite:Dangerous). For example, it lets you make stuff like this:

Terrain tools, building tools, a very flexible looking building system and tons of extras to decorate and light things the way you like. Looks like it might be a lotta fun and if it gets VR support for experiencing your creations... :D

Anyone else have any sort of interest? https://www.planetcoaster.com/ to check it out for yourself.

* The other games on their way are RollerCoaster Tycoon World and Parkitect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Looking at the disaster that tycoon is shaping up to be, this is the game to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Looks great!

Alpha 2 is available now

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, saw some of the devs' videos of what's in Alpha 2 - the land manipulation tools look really good, can't wait to start making weird stuff :D I'm thinking a 100% underground park for Vampires... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Loved RCT3 but haven't tried anything since, which apparently isn't a bad thing.

Looks set to be to RCT what Cities: Skylines is to SimCity. Awesome :)

It's a great game to let your imagination run loose in.

• Advertisement

I think the most important selling point for this game is that it's really, really easy to make a really impressive and insane roller-coaster :D

Yes :D

Alpha 3 released.

Adds a huge amount including magical village props.

Massive change list

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/9420-Planet-Coaster-Alpha-3-launch-and-Update-notes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Only came across this a few days ago. Loved 3 and was really disappointed with the mess they made of the new one. Really looking forward to see how this turns out

Any one actually played the alpha?

Looks set to be to RCT what Cities: Skylines is to SimCity. Awesome :)

Amazing if it turns out like this

• Advertisement

Been playing all the alphas

It's great fun, lot to do. Busy making my pirate themed section, fairy village and futuristic sections. The downloadable mods on the steamworkshop are incredible. Some dude has redone the rides from Alton Towers.

Hours of fun and it looks really nice.

I'm enjoying it. The Steam Workshop has some amazing add-ons.

Someone created Alton Towers, Hogwarts, And related Harry Potter rides, extra rides, houses, etc. It's just a lot of fun to run let loose in. Reminds me of my first experience with the original themepark

Downloading this now. Reviews on steam are very positive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This game looks very relaxing, in a good way.
    Watched a stream lastnight and found it engrossing to watch,id imagine its a lot of fun to play.

It's a very smooth game. Beautifully done.

OSI wrote: »
    It's both relaxing and infuriating in the same way anything creative can be.

"Now the coaster is done I'll just add a couple of lights so you can see it at night."

6 hours later....

"If I just put an uplighter on the trusses, then I can set the lights in the rocks off with a trigger point. But then the bushes look a bit harsh under the white light. Maybe I should just put some lanterns in the tunnel instead."

I spent an hour designing what was supposed to be a steam punk inspired shop before I realized it was just a wooden hut. Think Il stick to the workshop items for a while

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

That first park has no rides at all -kind of weird

Advertisement