Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equine Assisted Learning

Options
  • 09-04-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a trained facilitator in Equine Assisted Learning and am looking to start a small practice in the Dublin/Wicklow area. Can anyone recommend a riding school or other facility ideally with an indoor arena that can be sectioned/partitioned off into a smaller size (eg dressage-sized arena), as this is the size I need for EAL sessions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Are you looking to establish a partnership with an existing riding school? Or rent their facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Thanks Ah Yeah, for your response.

Yes, I am hoping to establish a partnership with an existing facility. My thinking is that I would be able to hire their arena and horse or horses for the sessions, while the benefit for the school would be a) that EAL sessions would be taking place during off-peak, weekday hours, so bringing in income during times when the horses normally aren't needed, b) that it would bring extra people in who might subsequently want to avail of riding lessons, and c) that it would allow the school/facility to offer an additional service in something that is still relatively small in Ireland, but in which I believe there is already growing interest.

If there is there somewhere that you can recommend I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

In that case the riding schools with indoors I am aware of are Rathfarnham Equestrian Centre, Calliaghstown, and Brennanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Festina Lente in Bray would be ideal for you

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Festina Lente in Bray would be ideal for you

Thanks for that. Festina actually have their own in-house team of qualified EAL facilitators, so I doubt very much if there would be an opening there.

The others mentioned are possibilities, but does anyone know if their indoors can be divided/partitioned into a smaller area? A full size arena would not be suitable as you often work with the horses loose, and you don't want to have to spend the whole session trailing up and down a long arena after them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Indoor arenas are not normally full size due to the cost. Callaigstown is certainly small enough for your purpose and the only one I've seen that's bigger than that is Coolmine.

Killegar riding stables would have an indoor arena small enough for what you're looking for.

Advertisement