Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC M9 vs Sony Xperia Z5

Options
  • 09-04-2016 11:52am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

My contract with 3 is finishing soon, and I'm thinking about changing my phone.

I've currently got the M9, which I do really like, however what really bothers me about it is the low-light camera isn't good. I use my phone camera A LOT so it's one of the things that is really important to me in a new phone.

I like the look of the Xperia Z5 and I've heard good things about the camera, but I'd like to hear if any of you have any experience with these phones and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

Toots wrote: »
    My contract with 3 is finishing soon, and I'm thinking about changing my phone.

I've currently got the M9, which I do really like, however what really bothers me about it is the low-light camera isn't good. I use my phone camera A LOT so it's one of the things that is really important to me in a new phone.

I like the look of the Xperia Z5 and I've heard good things about the camera, but I'd like to hear if any of you have any experience with these phones and what would you recommend?

Thanks!

HTC 10, launches Tuesday and the camera is meant to be a beast.

Sorted.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Do you reckon it'll cost a bomb though?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

I lost my charger for my HTC One m8 and other brand chargers don't work with it properly. HTC website is sold out of them for at least a month and their customer service are no help either. Three won't sell me one separately.

For that reason alone I won't be going back to HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I've seen lots of complaints about the Z5's performance and battery, for instance - http://www.phonearena.com/news/I-used-the-Sony-Xperia-Z5-for-a-month-and-its-a-complete-mess_id79063

You'll pay a new flagship premium for the HTC 10, but might be worth it to dodge the Snapdragon 810 bullet/toaster oven. If you can wait for reviews of the 10, might be worth considering.

OttoPilot wrote: »
    I lost my charger for my HTC One m8 and other brand chargers don't work with it properly. HTC website is sold out of them for at least a month and their customer service are no help either. Three won't sell me one separately.

You don't need official HTC charger for M8. No idea what your problem is.

• Advertisement

Standard flagship price, I'd say. I wouldn't be committing to anything until it's out and you can weigh it up as an option, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

HTC Mains Wall Adaptor Charger Plug and Micro USB Cable - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009OI16DE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_rZrcxbHE0B9ZJ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Basil3 wrote: »

Yeah I don't use an HTC charger with mine.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I just use a random micro USB cable to charge mine, it works perfectly. Actually I think I'm using the charger that came with my galaxy s3 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

What would your budget be? I assume you want it via contact so the Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge would be your man for best camera out there really on a contract.

• Advertisement

Mourinho wrote: »
    What would your budget be? I assume you want it via contact so the Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge would be your man for best camera out there really on a contract.

TBH about €200 would be my upper limit. It'll be on a contract, so I know I could get one almost free if I went for the highest monthly tariff, but my current plan is €40 per month and it's actually more than I need.

TBH about €200 would be my upper limit. It'll be on a contract, so I know I could get one almost free if I went for the highest monthly tariff, but my current plan is €40 per month and it's actually more than I need.

Hmm may be too much for your budget it's €300 with a €40x24 month plan. But that's as a new customer mayber you'll get a discount.

Another thing to consider is you could sell your HTC to somewhere like CEX who offer far ore trade in value for phones.

If you get 3 to unlock it it would be anywhere from €187 - €220

I always tend to do this myself these days much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Total and utter bull shít. I have used an LG / Samsung / Acer and unbranded cables with zero bother on my M8

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Toots wrote:

When you have your photo in Focus,tap the screen it'll lighten up the scene.

Mourinho wrote: »
    Hmm may be too much for your budget it's €300 with a €40x24 month plan. But that's as a new customer mayber you'll get a discount.

Another thing to consider is you could sell your HTC to somewhere like CEX who offer far ore trade in value for phones.

If you get 3 to unlock it it would be anywhere from €187 - €220

I always tend to do this myself these days much handier.

For an M9? Sold mine for €330 just a couple of weeks ago.

For an M9? Sold mine for €330 just a couple of weeks ago.

Was it a private sale like adverts or something? I haven't don't private sales in ages too much hassle but I assume you'd get more that way alright

It's actually already unlocked, I had an M7 which I smashed the screen on and the insurance said it was beyond economical repair, so they replaced it with an M9. It came directly from the insurer and it was never locked to any network.

Edit: not sure if it'd make any difference but it's very unlikely I'll be staying with 3

I was browsing in Vodafone earlier and asked them what the trade in would be for my phone - they offered €160 for my phone plus a €50 discount off whatever handset I choose if I'm switching from another network.... so that was interesting. When I looked on their website, I saw they have a Z5 premium, is that basically a bigger version with a better screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When I looked on their website, I saw they have a Z5 premium, is that basically a bigger version with a better screen?

Yup. More expensive as well.

I have the regular Z5 and am happy with the camera.

Presumably though there will be a new version coming this year as usual so maybe wait for that.

Every time I try charge it without one, it just drains the battery slowly and I get a message saying to use a HTC charger. The guy in the three shop told me that's the problem too.

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    Total and utter bull shít. I have used an LG / Samsung / Acer and unbranded cables with zero bother on my M8

I haven't tried LG or Acer but why would I bother making it up? It's either that as I've been told or a dodgy battery. Either way I wouldn't recommend the phone because I found customer service to be poor as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Every time I try charge it without one, it just drains the battery slowly and I get a message saying to use a HTC charger. The guy in the three shop told me that's the problem too.

sounds like a dodgy phone, battery or connector or something else internal.
    I forgot my original HTC charger for the M7 in a hotel years ago and for its life of almost 3 years i used chargers from samsung, apple but with a generic usb cable, kindle charger, generic usb charger from lidl & generic charger from Tiger.

All worked really well, with the samsung one seeming to charge the device a little quicker.

If the phone is explicitly saying it doesnt like the charger youre using now, then it could be an issue with the charger or cable or could be the adapter is putting out too high/low a voltage.

I suggest trying a few more chargers and cables to make sure it wasnt a dodgy charger or cable, and if that doesnt help, get the phone repaired.

Yup. More expensive as well.

I have the regular Z5 and am happy with the camera.

Presumably though there will be a new version coming this year as usual so maybe wait for that.

How is the low-light quality? Is there much distortion or noise?

The guy in the 3 shop doesn't know what he's talking about.

Have you tried charging with the phone turned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

How is the low-light quality? Is there much distortion or noise?

I like my z5. I came from a lumia 920 which had a really good camera but was showing its age after 3 years. Initially I found the z5 camera to produce quite contrasty and grainy photos, compared to the lumia, but I actually prefer this now. The grain is only noticeable when zooming in or cropping excessively. Shots look great on the camera and the superior auto mode is great at knowing when to apply hdr or a faster shutter speed.

Video also looks great: the z5 lacks optical image stabilization which would help with low light situations but the tradeoff is that HD video is much smoother without the 'jelly' effect you can get with optical stabilization lenses. Sony uses software to stabilize video and it makes for great clips.

Low light capabilities are good but not amazing as sometimes you get a blueish tint on the edges of very dark scenes. However the flash is actually usable on the z5 and really helps with low light.

I've an album on onedrive of unedited shots taken in the last few months with the z5:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=887FEFC5D6F5DF55!278829&authkey=!ADl6p_n_-WdTqdI&ithint=album%2c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Upgraded to a Z5 from a Z2 last week. On Vodafone €40 a month and the phone was €99, got €65 off for trading in my Z2 with its cracked back glass in Carphone Warehouse.
    So far OK. I don't think Android own battery saving options work nearly as well as Sonys own Stamina modes and I look forward to its return.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

HTC 10, launches Tuesday and the camera is meant to be a beast.

Sorted.

I bought a HTC M8 on the back of their claims on the camera and the fancy software for effects and such like

I found the camera sh!te, it was terrible at taking photos in bright daylight, everything looked washed out etc my previous Samsung S3 was better

I switched to a Z5 at the end of last year as I couldn't hack the camera on the M8 any longer so i would be a bit wary of any new HTC offering (the phone was great in general but sh!te camera) until people have had them for a while and report on real world use

Very happy with the Z5, the picture quality from the camera is a massive improvement over the M8
    I haven't had any battery issues but wouldn't be a heavy user of the phone so it lasts me quite well

I bought a HTC M8 on the back of their claims on the camera and the fancy software for effects and such like

I found the camera sh!te, it was terrible at taking photos in bright daylight, everything looked washed out etc my previous Samsung S3 was better

I switched to a Z5 at the end of last year as I couldn't hack the camera on the M8 any longer so i would be a bit wary of any new HTC offering (the phone was great in general but sh!te camera) until people have had them for a while and report on real world use

Very happy with the Z5, the picture quality from the camera is a massive improvement over the M8
    I haven't had any battery issues but wouldn't be a heavy user of the phone so it lasts me quite well

HTC 10 gets top marks on dxomark, so it's definitely a decent camera. You're right about the M8 being worse than the S3, but I actually found it good for my usage (average light indoors taking photos of the kids).

gpaLzbM.png

Advertisement