Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Perfect Prep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

For those of you just out of the maternity ward

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-Closer-Nature-Perfect/dp/B00BG6304A

Down to £60 including free delivery to parcel motel. Vs circa €120 to buy in Ireland.

Decent reviews meant to be godsend for those 2am feeds

I have one of these (which i'm selling on adverts).. Best way to think of it is a nespresso for babies. If you're bottle feeding I'd consider it an absolute must have, I only wish I knew about it with my first kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Essential piece of kit for bottle feeding, well worth the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

I was extremely sceptical of this thing when my wife suggested it but it is absolutely essential now.

Get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What they need to do is develop a version that magically refills empty beer bottles...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It's about as essential as paying 1500 euro for a 3 wheeled pram that might look nice on Grafton street for 3 months then you realize that it won't fold up into your car boot.

Feeding kids hardly needs this shíte. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

Never mind the nay-sayers, I can vouch for this machine from personal experience with twins. An absolute godsend. Worth every penny, even at full RRP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Excellent bit of kit
    Got one in Tesco for €80 when we needed one
    Ideal considering they advise against making up several bottles and storing them like years ago
    These are great for instant bottles as you need them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Personal use here. Amazing machine. Excellent price. If bottle feeding get it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

d22ontour wrote: »
    It's about as essential as paying 1500 euro for a 3 wheeled pram that might look nice on Grafton street for 3 months then you realize that it won't fold up into your car boot.

While no one should spend 1500, 3 wheel prams are by far the easiest to push and manoeuvre, almost effortless. There is a reason all the running and off road prams are three wheelers.

Check out the City Mini GT for one of the most amazing prams out there. Big wheels which are great for going off road, cobblestones or general rubbish Irish footpaths, super easy to push and manoeuvre even one handed, yet in can be folded into an incredibly small size with just one hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Agreed, this piece of equipment was probably our star buy. Baby is just weaning off formula now and it's been brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

+1 must have for bottle feeding.

Also in asda for the same price

http://m.direct.asda.com/tommee-tippee-closer-to-nature-perfect-prep-machine/002691096,default,pd.html?bvrrp=1440-en_gb/reviews/product/3/002691096.htm

When our small fella was on the way we got lots of stuff from asda, much cheaper than here
    Moses basket, video and sound monitor etc
    We saved a fortune
    Free shipping to parcel motel and parcel wizard too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Got one in Smyths about 2 weeks ago for €85 which might still be available.

Very handy to have with twins. Can get up at 2.25am and be back upstairs with two bottles, starting the feed before 2.30am.

Buer wrote: »
    Got one in Smyths about 2 weeks ago for €85 which might still be available.

Very handy to have with twins. Can get up at 2.25am and be back upstairs with two bottles, starting the feed before 2.30am.

€129.99 in Smyths sadly
    We used ours day and night, fresh bottles instantly can't go wrong ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

While it is a great bargain, proceed with caution! I have twins on the way, and I was looking at getting one of these.

There seems to be a huge design flaw with it though. The "hot shot" at the start seems to be of insufficient volume to ensure that the formula is heated to above 70 degrees to kill of the bacteria. The rest of the water added to the bottle is cold, filtered, plain tap water. You are placing a lot of trust in the filter to remove anything that could harm the little ones.

Research link:

http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Statement_on_making_up_formula%20safely_Mar_2015_final.pdf
    ‘The issues we have with it are, although it states it dispenses a ‘hot shot’ at 70C to kill bacteria that
    potentially could be in the powder, the reality (if you watch the TT advert) is that this amount of hot
    water used is very small, and once this is dispensed into a cold bottle/cold powder the heat will be
    quickly lost (more so than when preparing a full bottle with cooled, boiled water to >70C), so we
    would be interested to see whether TT have done any validation to see what temperatures the hot
    shot/powder combo actually reaches (and whether this is enough to destroy any bacteria).The other
    issue, is that the rest of the bottle is then topped up with cold water, which TT state is filtered to
    remove impurities. Again we would be interested to know whether it has been validated that the TT
    filter removes potential bacteria in the tap water (as this won’t previously have been boiled).
    At present the Food Standards Agency would still advocate the use of our Best Practice Guidance, to
    use cooled, boiled water at >70C to make up infant formula’.

That's why you change the filter when the warning light comes on and it's drinking water you are adding in the first place

The filter does a great job, when I changed ours you could see the black residue that was filtered

I used this with no issues and the public health nurse even said it was a great idea and she used it herself and had no problem with it regarding bacteria

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

d22ontour wrote: »

Feeding kids hardly needs this shíte. :rolleyes:

....I know, if only we humans could produce our own totally natural, free supply of fresh milk for our babies like all other mammals, already at the perfect temperature, no need for sterilisation & including natural immunisation.........."Closer to Nature" but still not actually Nature......:rolleyes:

Sorry.... couldn't resist :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

That's why you change the filter when the warning light comes on and it's drinking water you are adding in the first place

The filter does a great job, when I changed ours you could see the black residue that was filtered

I used this with no issues and the public health nurse even said it was a great idea and she used it herself and had no problem with it regarding bacteria

A filter won't sterilise baby formula.
    I considered getting one but when I saw that it's just a hot shot to sterilise the formula I decided not to risk it. Gonna stick to the labour intensive method instead!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got it for my 4th and it was fantastic,it saved me hours and made life alot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Kencollins wrote: »
    While it is a great bargain, proceed with caution! I have twins on the way, and I was looking at getting one of these.

There seems to be a huge design flaw with it though. The "hot shot" at the start seems to be of insufficient volume to ensure that the formula is heated to above 70 degrees to kill of the bacteria. The rest of the water added to the bottle is cold, filtered, plain tap water. You are placing a lot of trust in the filter to remove anything that could harm the little ones.

Research link:

http://www.firststepsnutrition.org/pdfs/Statement_on_making_up_formula%20safely_Mar_2015_final.pdf

It doesn't really say that, it just says that they don't have the data to show that the 'hot shot' kills the bacteria. I'm sure Tommee Tippee do though, it would be madness to market it otherwise.

Baby formula should have close to zero bacteria in it anyway, so you don't need a rigourous sterilisation.

Re: filtering, if it's a proper bacterial filter (as is claimed), then there is no issue using cold tap water.

I would have loved one of these when my kids were younger. When your baby is screaming for a bottle, it's not much good telling her that she has to wait until the boiled water cools down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yes it's not a filter like you'd find on a Britax jug - it's a more complex microbial filter. It's particularly worth it's weight in gold in the early days when you're not as familiar with your baby's hunger cues etc, easy to have one made in two minutes if needed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Wheeker wrote: »
    ....I know, if only we humans could produce our own totally natural, free supply of fresh milk for our babies like all other mammals, already at the perfect temperature, no need for sterilisation & including natural immunisation.........."Closer to Nature" but still not actually Nature......:rolleyes:

Jamie Oliver much? Ever consider that people may have supply/latch issues and need to supplement/bottle feed? Couple that with non existent support in the maternity hospitals and it's no surprise that formula feeding rates are so high here. If something comes along that makes it more convenient then have at it!

Lol at naysayers, nobody "needs" this in the same way they don't "need" a tablet or leather seats in their car. We'd prefer not to be staring at a kettle at 4am

Ordered yesterday, thanks OP!

Ignorant comment.

Keith186 wrote: »
    A filter won't sterilise baby formula.
    I considered getting one but when I saw that it's just a hot shot to sterilise the formula I decided not to risk it. Gonna stick to the labour intensive method instead!

The hot shot is enough to remove any harmful bacteria from the formula that the whole purpose of it
    That's why you add all the formula after the hot shot and the cold water is added to reduce the temp so it's ready for feeding
    How many people used the labour intestine method as you put it and stored X amount of bottles in the fridge overnight
    Now bacteria builds up after more than two hours and needs to be discarded

€129.99 in mothercare and that's on sale from 180 ish

Edwardius wrote: »

Lol at naysayers, nobody "needs" this in the same way they don't "need" a tablet or leather seats in their car. We'd prefer not to be staring at a kettle at 4am
    !

And then staring at the bottle in a saucepan of cold water hoping that it's cool enough for the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

Edwardius wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver much? Ever consider that people may have supply/latch issues and need to supplement/bottle feed? Couple that with non existent support in the maternity hospitals and it's no surprise that formula feeding rates are so high here. If something comes along that makes it more convenient then have at it!

Ordered yesterday, thanks OP!
    brevity wrote: »
    Ignorant comment.

Anything but an "ignorant comment". Read my post again & tell me what part of it is untrue. A "slightly flippant comment"- maybe.

Listen- breastfeeding (or not) can be an emotive subject, I certainly do not judge anyone as to what choice they make & fully realise that some have no choice. However, as Edwardius posted above- Ireland has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in Europe & there is a culture in Ireland of thinking that bottle-feeding is the way to go. I just think it should be challenged. Convenient?- sure. As good/Better?- no. Anyhow- I now realise this thread is not the place for this discussion, so apologies.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Anything but an "ignorant comment". Read my post again & tell me what part of it is untrue. A "slightly flippant comment"- maybe.

Listen- breastfeeding (or not) can be an emotive subject, I certainly do not judge anyone as to what choice they make & fully realise that some have no choice. However, as Edwardius posted above- Ireland has one of the lowest breastfeeding rates in Europe & there is a culture in Ireland of thinking that bottle-feeding is the way to go. I just think it should be challenged. Convenient?- sure. As good/Better?- no. Anyhow- I now realise this thread is not the place for this discussion, so apologies.....

I have a massive issue with the 'as good/better' language. That type of language inspires guilt in those who cannotbreastfeed either due to issues with it or needing to get back on medication (in my case). I have enough guilt without you loading it. In my case bottle feeding is as good/better. Otherwise I could end up sick, in hospital and not much use to my newborn baby.

This thread is a bargain alert. For those who are bottle feeding for whatever reason it is a great bargain. I have used it, it is excellent. If you are breastfeeding or want to breastfeed then obviously it's not the bargain for you so this discussion shouldn't have even arisen. This was never the thread or forum for 'challenging' it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Bargain alert but unnecessary piece of equipment. Bottles can be made in advance and put in bottom of fridge. I often did it and warmed in the microwave 30 seconds good swirl and test and you're good to go. It beats your perfect prep time and faffing about every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

I would have said top of the fridge, raw meat is supposed to go at the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

the_pod wrote: »
    I would have said top of the fridge, raw meat is supposed to go at the bottom

Bottom is the coolest part. Top and you could be in trouble with bacteria growing. Most fridges have compartments so no need to put bottles in with raw meat!

Advertisement