Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No shut off valve for toilet cistern and need to change float valve

Options
  • 08-04-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wanted to see if you wouldn't mind helping out and offering your expert advice, as I am stumped and i would appreciate any help at all...

I have to change the bottom entry cistern float valve in my downstairs loo as it appears to be faulty and is now leaking at the base of the cistern tank...

The problem i have run into is that there is no stop valve that I assume should be just located just below the cistern on the water feed inlet and the water feed pipe itself is coming from a concrete floor, so i am unable to chase it...

I checked the attic tank as i then assumed that the toilets are fed directly from here, but there is only 2 outlets coming from the tank and they appear to be going directly to the Hot press, and in turn to the hot water tank...

There are two taps on both of these feeds, so do you think that they feed the toilets?

or should i ignore these, turn off the water mains and just go ahead and disconnect the water feed to the toilet, and try to install a stop valve on the water inlet pipe that connects in to the float valve at the bottom of the cistern?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The 2 pipes coming out of the attic tank are both going into the hot press but only 1 is for the hot water cylinder. The other is for the cold water for your bathroom etc. Shutting this cold valve should do the trick but its possible that the downstairs loo isn't plumbed properly. If this is the case you might need to shut off the mains water coming into the house.

While you are doing this job why not put in a penny valve on the pipe feeding the cistern.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The 2 pipes coming out of the attic tank are both going into the hot press but only 1 is for the hot water cylinder. The other is for the cold water for your bathroom etc. Shutting this cold valve should do the trick but its possible that the downstairs loo isn't plumbed properly. If this is the case you might need to shut off the mains water coming into the house.

While you are doing this job why not put in a penny valve on the pipe feeding the cistern.

Hey Sleeper,

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly....
    OK that makes a lot of sense to me now... and of course makes perfect sense, but i just couldn't figure it out....

I will do exactly that tomorrow mate and also get a penny valve feeding the cistern, should it happen again in the future...

Thanks again for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I haven't done this type of plumbing in years so sometimes I forget to say things. One such thing is that you can get a basin flexi with a penny valve built in. The advantage of this is there is more give in the flexi so it's easier to fit. Also less chance of ruining the plastic threads at the bottom of the inlet pipe.

I haven't done this type of plumbing in years so sometimes I forget to say things. One such thing is that you can get a basin flexi with a penny valve built in. The advantage of this is there is more give in the flexi so it's easier to fit. Also less chance of ruining the plastic threads at the bottom of the inlet pipe.
    Thanks mate ☺ðŸ‘

Job done...
    Thabks for all your advice and help..
    Much appreciate :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement