Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How olds to old to geld?

Options
  • 08-04-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hello, I have two male donkeys that are roughly a two years old that I found a year ago. Recently they seem to be fighting chasing each other much more and mounting each other constantly. Should I separate them for a while or will they sort it out themselves? There is no poneys or donkeys around so I'm not sure why they have become so wild. They are getting gelded as soon as he frost stops but is two years to old to get them gelded and make them a bit more quiet? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

daylers wrote:
    Hello, I have two male donkeys that are roughly a two years old that I found a year ago. Recently they seem to be fighting chasing each other much more and mounting each other constantly. Should I separate them for a while or will they sort it out themselves? There is no poneys or donkeys around so I'm not sure why they have become so wild. They are getting gelded as soon as he frost stops but is two years to old to get them gelded and make them a bit more quiet? Thanks for any help

It's not ideal but you can (and should) still geld them. Get it done before the flies start. A vet should be able to advise you on what to expect, and tell you their true age but generally older donkeys bleed more and take longer to recover.
    They've become "wild" because they are now fully mature Jack donkeys. I would seperate both of them until they've both recovered from gelding, if not until some of the hormones are out of their system. They won't sort it out themselves, and will most likely become more aggressive towards each other until one or both get seriously hurt.
    I would strongly consider ringing the vet asap and seeing when the earliest you can geld them is. Otherwise you will have to wait until the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

daylers wrote: »
    Its never to late. It happens in the Racing and Sports Horse world all the time. Re the frost. Better a bit cold than flies .

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daylers

sup_dude wrote: »
    It's not ideal but you can (and should) still geld them. Get it done before the flies start. A vet should be able to advise you on what to expect, and tell you their true age but generally older donkeys bleed more and take longer to recover.
    They've become "wild" because they are now fully mature Jack donkeys. I would seperate both of them until they've both recovered from gelding, if not until some of the hormones are out of their system. They won't sort it out themselves, and will most likely become more aggressive towards each other until one or both get seriously hurt.
    I would strongly consider ringing the vet asap and seeing when the earliest you can geld them is. Otherwise you will have to wait until the end of the year.

They aren't to bad with each other at the moment they chose each other a bit and mount each other a lot but I don't see any real aggressiveness at the moment but i keep a close eye on them, the mounting has really just happend a lot over the past couple days whatever the reasons, I have the vet rang weeks ago and he told me he will have to wait until the frost is gone before he can do it so I'm waiting on him to come soon now

daylers wrote:
    They aren't to bad with each other at the moment they chose each other a bit and mount each other a lot but I don't see any real aggressiveness at the moment but i keep a close eye on them, the mounting has really just happend a lot over the past couple days whatever the reasons, I have the vet rang weeks ago and he told me he will have to wait until the frost is gone before he can do it so I'm waiting on him to come soon now

Bare in mind that donkeys, unlike horses, are territorial. Male donkeys dominate over territories rather than herds, and two jack donkeys who have just reached full maturity, may start seeing each other as competition for that territory.
    I should also mention that donkeys are seasonal breeders (like horses). Although it's more dramatic in mares, it affects males too. It could be because it's coming into breeding season and their reproductive systems are properly starting up for the first time (although donkeys can reproduce from much younger if there's females present).
    Jack donkeys are very instinct driven. It makes them unpredictable.

I think it might be worth mentioning it to the vet again in the next few days. I would mention the mounting too, as it might encourage the vet out faster.

Bare in mind that donkeys, unlike horses, are territorial. Male donkeys dominate over territories rather than herds, and two jack donkeys who have just reached full maturity, may start seeing each other as competition for that territory.
    I should also mention that donkeys are seasonal breeders (like horses). Although it's more dramatic in mares, it affects males too. It could be because it's coming into breeding season and their reproductive systems are properly starting up for the first time (although donkeys can reproduce from much younger if there's females present).
    Jack donkeys are very instinct driven. It makes them unpredictable.

I think it might be worth mentioning it to the vet again in the next few days. I would mention the mounting too, as it might encourage the vet out faster.

Ya I'll have to get onto him again and keep a close eye on them, if they get more agressive I'll split them up for a bit, would gelding them stop a lot of this behaviour? They are always side by side in the field but the odd time the chase each other. They were abanded donkeys I found months ago so I just decided I'd give them a home even tho I've no real experience with them so I knew it would r a good idea to get them gelded because I wouldn't be able to manage full jack donkeys

• Advertisement

Gelding may or may not stop it, but it's far better than not gelding. It should stop the worst of potential behaviours.

Like I said, jack donkeys are unpredictable. Even an experienced owner would only really consider keeping a male donkey whole if it was being kept for breeding. If you don't geld, you'll be left with not one but two jacks, with nearly no knowledge of donkeys.

Well done for taking them in though :)

Thanks for all the advice:) ya theh are defintaly getting gelded I'm not going to have two jack donkey around because that would make caring for them a lot more difficult.
    Do you have any advice on how to train donkeys to make them easier to groom/ pick up there feet to check them?
    I have some head collars on them which wasn't to hard to do if that makes it easier, I have a rope to attach to it but I don't think that will be much use unless I tie it to the gate to get them used to having there feet handled and having there hair combed?

During the colder months I was more concerned about there diet and making sure they were in good health so acrauk handling them took less priority but now the weather getting better and I've learnt all about correct stuff to feed them in the cold (straw/and a Little hay) I'm focusing on trying to make them easier to handle. Even if they are never very quiet I'll still mind them anyways because id not trust many other people to mind them

daylers wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice ya theh are defintaly getting gelded I'm not going to have two jack donkey around because that would make caring for them a lot more difficult. Do you have any advice on how to train donkeys to make them easier to groom/ pick up there feet to check them? I have some head collars on them which wasn't to hard to do if that makes it easier, I have a rope to attach to it but I don't think that will be much use unless I tie it to the gate to get them used to having there feet handled and having there hair combed?

You could just be sure to handle them, rub them, brush them and get them used to humans. Use a small handful of feed in a bucket if you can't catch them, and give them a little bit of feed a day, petting them as you do. For the rest, I would probably get someone who's used to donkeys/horses to help with.

If you keep the head collar on them, be sure to check it and move it at least once a week. Even change them every so often if you can.

You could just be sure to handle them, rub them, brush them and get them used to humans. Use a small handful of feed in a bucket if you can't catch them, and give them a little bit of feed a day, petting them as you do. For the rest, I would probably get someone who's used to donkeys/horses to help with.

If you keep the head collar on them, be sure to check it and move it at least once a week. Even change them every so often if you can.

Ya I go out and pet them a bit each day and espically when I give them some feed you can pet them a lot and I check the head collars to make sure there not tight or making any sores ect and there's nothing in he field to catch them on

• Advertisement

daylers wrote:
    Ya I go out and pet them a bit each day and espically when I give them some feed you can pet them a lot and I check the head collars to make sure there not tight or making any sores ect and there's nothing in he field to catch them on

For someone who's not used to equines, you're doing great :)

In terms of feet, the most difficult part is getting them used to someone touching them. I would get help with that though. You may need someone to hold them, or even do it for you as they can kick very quickly. Usually we use a hose and run water over them as you don't need to get too close. Alternatively, you can get a rubber glove at the end of a stick and rub it up and down their legs.
    I'd get them used to that first before trying to pick them up.

Advertisement