Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling Canada tax return from Ireland

Options
  • 08-04-2016 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi I spent two years in Canada in the iec programme and returned last year June 2015.

I am just doing trying to do my t4 tax returns from Ireland.
    I have downloaded turbotax and it runs through my numbers etc. I have printed my t1 which I think I am supposed to mail to Canada. Just my old bank details are logged with revenue Canada from the previous years.
    Does anyone know how to change this, I tried ringing revenue Canada about this but no luck.
    Anyone in the same situation???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Since you're claiming from abroad, you need to change your address with the CRA, which you can do via phone: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/hdsk-nd-eng.html

You'll need your social security number, and some information about your previous years returns. As far as I know, since you live in Ireland now, you can only claim by check, not via electronic transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭andyd12

alexjk wrote: »
    Since you're claiming from abroad, you need to change your address with the CRA, which you can do via phone: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/hdsk-nd-eng.html

You'll need your social security number, and some information about your previous years returns. As far as I know, since you live in Ireland now, you can only claim by check, not via electronic transfer.
    Thanks man I will check that out👠would posting the t1 form with my new address on it not suffice?
    Oh ok that would be good if I got a cheque. I will try to contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I just mailed mine off today. Mail your T1 to :

International and Ottawa Tax Services Office
    Post Office Box 9769, Station T
    Ottawa ON K1G 3Y4
    Canada

Send them a cover letter outlining your current contact and address details.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I just mailed mine off today. Mail your T1 to :

International and Ottawa Tax Services Office
    Post Office Box 9769, Station T
    Ottawa ON K1G 3Y4
    Canada

Send them a cover letter outlining your current contact and address details.
    Ok cool thanks man I was thinking of doing the same myself. Cheers did you express mail it to ensure it would reach them on time?

andyd12 wrote: »
    Ok cool thanks man I was thinking of doing the same myself. Cheers did you express mail it to ensure it would reach them on time?

Nah I just did standard mail. 5-7 days

• Advertisement

Did anyone send off a form with your t1 showing your provincial or territorial tax. My t1 says it was a t2203 dorm but last year it was a bc 428 form??
    Also did you guys send a change of address form too, rc325??

No I just sent the T1 return with a cover letter

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    No I just sent the T1 return with a cover letter
    Oh ok I was just looking at my last year's returns and it included a bc tax included.. I am just wondering the fact I only spent 6 months in Canada and was not there at the end of the 2015, would I be except from the bc tax??

Yes I also seen there is an actual change of address form which I might send also. But I dunno the revenue Canada website is not overly helpful tbh

andyd12 wrote: »
    Oh ok I was just looking at my last year's returns and it included a bc tax included.. I am just wondering the fact I only spent 6 months in Canada and was not there at the end of the 2015, would I be except from the bc tax??

Yes I also seen there is an actual change of address form which I might send also. But I dunno the revenue Canada website is not overly helpful tbh

Yeah I was there about 7 days less than the amount needed for residency for tax purposes so im just waiting to see what will happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just with regards to the express post thing, I wouldn't bother my hole lads.

I sent mine via registered post and it never really updates once it leaves the country.

My return has been marked "received" on the CRA website but hasn't got to the assessed stage yet - which is a pain in the hole as I sent it back on the 3rd of March!

• Advertisement
Advertisement