Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build gaming pc in the summer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Base is fine but it's a big ask for a machine for last 5 years at high settings @ 60fps. The base will last that long but the GPU will need changing to keep up in a few years. To last the full 5 years at high settings 60fps you would need something like a Fury or 980Ti now - €500-700 cards. Easier to just get a GTX970/R9 390 now and upgrade in 2/3 years.

If you had spent €500 on a GTX580 in 2010/2011 for example it would still be OK for games today at 1080p medium-some low settings @ 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

Base is fine but it's a big ask for a machine for last 5 years at high settings @ 60fps. The base will last that long but the GPU will need changing to keep up in a few years. To last the full 5 years at high settings 60fps you would need something like a Fury or 980Ti now - €500-700 cards. Easier to just get a GTX970/R9 390 now and upgrade in 2/3 years.

If you had spent €500 on a GTX580 in 2010/2011 for example it would still be OK for games today at 1080p medium-some low settings @ 60fps.

Ah alright, I figured 5 years was quite a stretch. But i'll settle for 2/3 years with the current GPU. Atleast the base will last. Any recommendation on PSU/Water cooling?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Base will last the 5 years anyways

Get an EVGA or SeaSonic 600w PSU

I believe you need a cooler for the CPU, a decent air cooler will be perfect, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is cheap and cheerful, but a pain to install

Base will last the 5 years anyways

Get an EVGA or SeaSonic 600w PSU

I believe you need a cooler for the CPU, a decent air cooler will be perfect, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is cheap and cheerful, but a pain to install

Found this EVGA on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-600-Power-Supply-Unit/dp/B01127D0MY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460120360&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+psu#Ask Looks like it'll do the job.
    Also had a look at that air cooler, quite popular and consistent. I was originally thinking water cooling instead? But i'll have to look into the benefits of both.

Yep it will, its white if that matters to you, purely aesthetic

Noctua do good air coolers that are easier to install than the Cooler Master

Unless you're doing a full water cooling loop there's not huge point, afaik water blocks for CPUs aren't much better than air ones

• Advertisement

Yep it will, its white if that matters to you, purely aesthetic

Noctua do good air coolers that are easier to install than the Cooler Master

Unless you're doing a full water cooling loop there's not huge point, afaik water blocks for CPUs aren't much better than air ones

Nope, the aesthetics is no problem for me.
    And yeah, it seems like unless I'm paying top money for liquid cooler the price-performance ratio isnt the best compared to air cooling. That being said for the overclocking I wanna do (to about 4.6-4.7Hz while stable), seems I'll only need something like the Hyper 212 as you suggested. Though I found what is said to be a better air cooler in the same price bracket called the CRYORIG H7, so if that's the case. I'll go with that :)

You won't need to come anywhere close to 4.6 for a few years

You won't need to come anywhere close to 4.6 for a few years

True, just for future proofing. Btw, I was thinking about the graphics card.
    How long do you think a gtx 960/R9 290 would last me at the settings I want? Thinking about spending less now and then make the upgrade quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A 960 averages 55ish at 1080p with Ultra in BF4, so drop to high and you're just at your target, throw a AAA from December at it and you find it starts falling short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A GTX960 can't really even hit your needs right this minute, let alone in 2021! R9 290 is way faster, no comparison between them.

An R9 390 or GTX970 will last a few years, ultra settings at 1080p now, and over the next two years high settings will be perfectly fine, and you can upgrade to the equivalent of those cards in 2018 or whatever.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    A 960 averages 55ish at 1080p with Ultra in BF4, so drop to high and you're just at your target, throw a AAA from December at it and you find it starts falling short.
    A GTX960 can't really even hit your needs right this minute, let alone in 2021! R9 290 is way faster, no comparison between them.

An R9 390 or GTX970 will last a few years, ultra settings at 1080p now, and over the next two years high settings will be perfectly fine, and you can upgrade to the equivalent of those cards in 2018 or whatever.

Thanks for letting me know you two. I'll stick with the R9 390/GTX970.
    Looking for a case now, know any good websites for them or even recommendations? Using Mindfactory.de at them moment.
    Also how much of a price drop are we looking at when the new gpu's come out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Amazon or Scan are best for cases IMO, when you count in shipping costs they're usually very competitive and both have great CS in case the courier plays footie with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭thegame983

Akingbade wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know you two. I'll stick with the R9 390/GTX970.
    Looking for a case now, know any good websites for them or even recommendations? Using Mindfactory.de at them moment.
    Also how much of a price drop are we looking at when the new gpu's come out ?

I have a Nanoxia Deep Silence. 90 quid 2 years ago and it's a quality product.

I didn't take into account the delivery from mindfactory and the potential add on to that. Though if someone could explain the process of ordering with them, I would appreciate that.

I've actually slighty altered the above build with
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rTfZnQ

Cheaped out on some parts but easily upgradeable as I get the money to add. This time everything is pretty much coming from Amazon and I have the option for free delivery on most of the parts.

thegame983 wrote: »

Looks good! Though I'd like a side panel personally.
    I went with the popular choice nzxt case s340.

Akingbade wrote: »
    I didn't take into account the delivery from mindfactory and the potential add on to that. Though if someone could explain the process of ordering with them, I would appreciate that.

I've actually slighty altered the above build with
    http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/rTfZnQ

Cheaped out on some parts but easily upgradeable as I get the money to add. This time everything is pretty much coming from Amazon and I have the option for free delivery on most of the parts.

Last page post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

thegame983 wrote: »

New PC here assembled over the weekend and with this case. It's fantastic, you would hardly know the machine was on.

Advertisement