Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get into running?

Options
  • 08-04-2016 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Just curious :) tell me your stories.

February 2015, I was 13.5-14 stone in weight and wanted to be less, so I went out and started running. I'd run until I couldn't then walk back. At milestone distances (5k/10k/etc.) I'd stick with that route for a while to strengthen up.

Eventually, I had regular routes to run. I'm at 40k a week now, 5k a day with a 10k on Tuesdays. I'm training for the Dublin Marathon in October, but when I started a year and a half ago I wouldn't have dreamt of going for that.

Some might consider me a beginner, some might think I'm way ahead of their abilities, but we all have to start somewhere so tell me about you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Olympics of 1984!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I remember there was a thread where people talked about their dissolute, pre-running pasts and mentioned how they got into running. Here it is, it sort of answers your question:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057400204

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Haha, that's mad. That thread was posted just one month after I started. Cheers for the link ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Missed a bus one day and ran where I was going cos there wasn't another one for ages. Enjoyed it to my surprise so kept it up since. Small fry compared to most on these boards as I'd rarely go further than twenty miles a week.

Had these corrective braces as a child. One day, some bullies were after me, but I was sweet on this girl named Jenny, who shouted at me to run, and I moved faster and faster and they darn just fell right off. Then I got shot in the buttocks and played ping pong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

MMMMmmmmmm....chocolate....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

was 20 stone and didnt want to be anymore, stopped eating ****e and started going to wibblys in Cork as a walker, moved up to couch to 5k and kept moving.

not a fatty anymore and i loooveee running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

It was about 1999.
    It was raining, we couldn't go climbing, so we went to an IMRA hill-run race from The Blue Light instead. It was brilliant. We stopped with the "trying to go climbing only to be rained off" and now I go hill-running in nearly all weathers instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Running for Sligo town vocational school in the county vocational schools XC.
    Training was out at lunch and run a road loop (2 miles).
    I remember the first race because Easkey Tech ran in their GAA gear. They ran in a pack but their lead guy really kicked ass.
    Anyone who passed them got a kick in the ass from this guy.
    Did, a couple of races a year I guess.

Did my first Warriors run in '88. Was 8 stone something, running 6 min miles in all training runs and thought I was going to destroy it. No luck.
    Next one was 2002, and Ive ran it almost every year since. Still dont know exactly the best way to train for it, it seems to be a lifelong project for me.

That race more than the kick in the ass XCs got me into running.
    Every town/village should have one.

The race in Strandhill started as a kind of 'something for Sunday' event after the Saturday All Ireland tri which used to be held in Rosses Point the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I worked in a bar,late nights,always tired ,occasionally smoked. The proprietor died ,the pub closed and suddenly at aged 30 I had a lot of free time and could go to bed at a decent hour. I started jogging, did a mile or a mile and a half,with a friend who ran. He taught me the stretches and encouraged me. 7 years on I've not smoked in 5 years,ran 2 marathons and ran cross country with my club...the people are so much better than who I'd meet in most other places ☺

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

St James's Hospital Liberties Fun Run. Tried it and loved it. Never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I was always into walking and friends kept saying I should try running. One day I did. Didn't tell anyone at first though, I wanted to be sure I would enjoy it and stick with it. That was nearly 3 years ago. Safe to say I DO enjoy it and AM sticking with it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I got into running because SloggerJogger told me to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

A good friend runs a twice weekly running group. Decided to join her beginners session 1.5 yrs ago as I my only exercise was really walking/cycling to work and I needed a push as i was overweight. Gradually cleaned my diet and lifestyle up as i progressed with the running, lost 2 stone and just feel a lot better in myself.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was fat, wanted to do something about it. Started running and lost most of the excess within a year while doing something that made me really happy.

I got into running because SloggerJogger told me to. :)

Not a million miles off that either.

I was hiking mountains, running roads, granted. And was mulling over doing IMRA Carrauntoohil as my first mountain run 3 or 4 years back here and he said as I knew the mountain well I should go for it. And I did and it just...clicked, I was hooked. Just back from an evening jaunt in mud and freezing rain and wind on Mangerton and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The YOPPA

I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease in 2011 & energy levels were zero, started dialysis in 2013 & energy levels started to increase. Went for a jog one evening with my sister and haven't looked back.

Ran lots of 5ks & 10ks and then my first half marathon in Clonakilty while still on dialysis.

Received a new kidney last April & now I'm training for the European Transplant & Dialysis games in Finland next July.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Couch to 5k in 2011, courtesy of boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

In 2008 I weighed about 13 stone, drank a lot, and smoked too much. I had given up playing 5-a-side once a week, and was actually coaching a kids' soccer team in Firhouse. One day my younger sister let slip the fact that she ran a fair bit. I knew she played badminton, but nothing about running. Now, I never said it to her, but I was almost affronted. I was the athlete of the family! I played the football, and ran the races (total career: DCM 1983 and 1 forgotten half-marathon). How dare she encroach on my turf? Anyway, she says there's an upcoming 5 mile race in the park. So I do the race series 5 (and beat her), and then the 10, and then the Half. The times are nothing to write home about, but the seed had been sown. Coincidentally, the kids have been enrolled in Tallaght AC by this point, by the OH, having all gone through the local soccer (hence my coaching career) and GAA clubs, without anything 'sticking', as it were. Then herself's work circumstances change, and it falls to me to bring them to training. So I find myself standing around at the track on Tuesdays and Thursdays, watching all these people running. some of them are as old as, or older than, me. I haven't the neck to approach anyone, but soon, as much out of boredom as anything, I'm turning up in my gear, and jogging around the outside of the track. Eventually, I don't know when and I don't know who, I get talking to someone and they point me in the right direction. I become a fully paid-up member of Tallaght AC, and the rest is hysteria.

Advertisement