Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conditional

Options
  • 07-04-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭

Can someone please tell me the correct conditional word for change - as in "I would change... the coat". I keep getting "ba mhaith liom an cóta a athrú" but this is not quite what I want.

My daughter is doing the Oral Irish exam next week.

Many thanks
    Ali

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

"Athróinn an cóta."

Níl cead ar Béarla ar bith ar an bhforam Teach na nGealt, agus seolfaidh mé go dtí an foram ceart an snáth seo duit.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I would add that my Irish is less than perfect at the moment, so await confirmation in the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

"Athróinn an cóta."

Níl cead ar Béarla ar bith ar an bhforam Teach na nGealt, agus seolfaidh mé go dtí an foram ceart an snáth seo duit.

Ná déan dearmad AR an "D"- "D'athróinn"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

hullaballoo agus ezra, go raibh míle maith agaibh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭David Webb

ba mhaith liom an cóta ' athrú -- is a superior form in Irish, because natural Irish idiom is noun- and verbal-noun intensive. Conjugated verb form exist, like d'athróinn, but there are ways round it to use the verbal noun.

For a start, what does "I would change the coat" mean?

'Sé rud a dhéanfadsa ná an cóta ' athrú. (or: an cóta ' dh'athrú).

= "what I would do is change the coat". This is much more likely to be what you're looking for than d'athróinn an cóta, which sounds like translationese.

If "would" means the past and not the conditional, then you don't want the conditional in Irish. "Would" in English can be past habitual = everyday I would get back home from school and would change my clothes and then I eat dinner...

• Advertisement

Thank you David. I want the conditional tense.

Alice, I see. And I have given you future tense above.

I should have said: 'Sé rud a dhéanfainnse ná an cóta ' athrú. (or: an cóta ' dh'athrú).

Do dhéanfainn can be used with any verbal noun.

Do dhéanfainn na rudaí seo ' chur le chéile.

Do dhéanfainn an rud san do thabhairt chúthu.

Do dhéanfainn an rud d'aimsiú.

Is nithe eile mar sin.

Sorry about that, Alice. You are quite right: déanfad is future tense. I don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks very much. To me, "ba mhaith liom" sounds natural, however, the teacher has told the children they must practise and use the conditional as much as possible.

Well the forms for athrú in the conditional tense are:

d'athróinn (pr: daharóinn)
    d'athrófá (dahrófá)
    d'athródh sé (daharóch sé)
    d'athróimís (daharóimís - pronounced with long -mís, although a short -mis might have been found in extinct dialects)
    d'athródh sibh (daharóch sibh)
    d'athróidís (darahóidís - pronounced with a long -dís, although a short -dis might have been found in extinct dialects)
    d'athrófaí or do hathrófaí. (daharófí or do haharófí, with a slender f regardless of the spelling in Munster dialects at any rate)

• Advertisement

I mean: daharófá, of course

You're a star David! Thanks so much

Advertisement