Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Millhouse Slane

Options
  • 07-04-2016 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey folks just wondering has anyone been to the millhouse in slane at a wedding and got the barbecue option as the dinner. Just wondering how it went down with everyone with portion sizes and all.

My partner loves the venue but is a bit worried well look like cheapskates even though it's not that cheap..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 momac1985

Hey folks, thinking of booking the millhouse in slane for our wedding..she loves the venue and she's the boss :-) just wondering has anyone been to a wedding in the millhouse and got the barbecue for the dinner?? Would like to know how it went down with people, portion sizes and all?

We're bit worried it might look like the cheap option even though it's not cheap at all..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Millhouse, in a word superb!!!

Such a lovely venue and if you have the weather its glorious. I have played at several weddings there and the BBQ option for dinner has always gone down so well. Perfect venue for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Our wedding is booked there for next april and i cant wait. We are going for bbq menu as it suits the relaxed laid back atmosphere we wanted. We looked at other options and this was only one where bbq was served to table and not a buffet style. 12 months to go and so excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Adoolan85

momac1985 wrote: »
    Hey folks just wondering has anyone been to the millhouse in slane at a wedding and got the barbecue option as the dinner. Just wondering how it went down with everyone with portion sizes and all.

My partner loves the venue but is a bit worried well look like cheapskates even though it's not that cheap..

Having our reception there in September. Didn't go for the barbeue option ourselves but have been to a couple of tastings and did plenty of research about the different options available. We found all the food we tasted to be of a very high standard and from what I understand the barbecue is just the method that the food is cooked and still presented nicely.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Was at a family wedding there and it was amazing. The food and service were top notch. It's a beautiful place for a ceremony too, with a good indoor option if the weather doesn't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Millhouse, in a word superb!!!

Such a lovely venue and if you have the weather its glorious. I have played at several weddings there and the BBQ option for dinner has always gone down so well. Perfect venue for that.

same, great spot to play, staff great, great if you dont have the weather, amazing if you do. Id have that in my top 5 venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Has anyone been here for a large wedding? We went to view and really loved the place, anyone who has been there that we knew loved the place but it was always a small wedding.

For our size of wedding we had a few concerns and also since it is in the summer we couldn't justify the jump in price they place on the summer dates.

We initially loved the idea of the BBQ but then after thinking about it grew concerned about it too, the idea of two mains rather than a starter mains and desert didn't really work for us.

The grounds themselves, the house and the staff were all excellent during our visit though, the reception area while small was also very nice. Had it been a bit better value for money and the menu offered better options we would have booked there no problem, on a lovely summers day a wedding there would be spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

I'm considering the Millhouse too but same as yourself we are having a large number of guests and I'm worried about the marquee that they attach to the Pavillion. I would be afraid that whoever is sitting in there will feel very separate from the rest of the wedding and might not even be able to see the top table.
    Has anyone had/been to a wedding where they used the marquee and how was it?

We would defo be going for the BBQ option as it fit our laid back feel. The house itself is fab and the grounds are lovely. Just such a shame the pavilion doesn't hold more

I'm considering the Millhouse too but same as yourself we are having a large number of guests and I'm worried about the marquee that they attach to the Pavillion. I would be afraid that whoever is sitting in there will feel very separate from the rest of the wedding and might not even be able to see the top table.
    Has anyone had/been to a wedding where they used the marquee and how was it?

We would defo be going for the BBQ option as it fit our laid back feel. The house itself is fab and the grounds are lovely. Just such a shame the pavilion doesn't hold more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What's large? 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

160 for us, the pavilion in the Millhouse caters for 90 I think. It's split level down to where the additional marque would need to be placed too which we didn't like.

160 for us, the pavilion in the Millhouse caters for 90 I think. It's split level down to where the additional marque would need to be placed too which we didn't like.

Pavilion caters for more than 90, pretty sure it's 120/130.

We're having about 180 people and the pavillion caters for "up to 150" people. We saw it set up for 130 and it was pretty full

Plankton1 wrote: »
    We're having about 180 people and the pavillion caters for "up to 150" people. We saw it set up for 130 and it was pretty full

We're having 140/150 with marquee so should be comfortable.

That should be fine! Can I ask, have you seen any good photos of the marquee in action? Did you have the same concerns about it feeling separate?

Plankton1 wrote: »
    That should be fine! Can I ask, have you seen any good photos of the marquee in action? Did you have the same concerns about it feeling separate?

There are some pics of different marquees used on their facebook page.

To be honest my OH was hell bent on the place the moment we arrived, she wasn't very objective but I was unsure about space and so pushed for the marquee.

She agreed and I've 5 months of freedom left. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

We looked at the Millhouse for our wedding and turned up for one of their open viewings.
    We really loved the eclectic look of the place and it's location was perfect for us.

But the planner (or whatever job title they have) scared the cr@p out of us. They chuckled as they told us how the wedding they had hosted just the previous night, the bride had been in tears after the marquee the couple had booked had arrived with no hard wood floor (that cost a few grand extra). The planner just told us that the problem was between her and the guy they rented the marquee from, that the Millhouse was not responsible.

While technically the planner may be correct, I would have expected the floor option to be communicated clearly to the couple and if anything goes south on the day that the planner would do their best to help and not just shrug and claim it's not their problem.

I've friends who been to weddings there and they all had glowing reports.

But for that money, we took our business elsewhere, where it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dempseje

Hi,
    I wonder how your marquee turned out as I'm currently considering booking the millhouse but I will have about 200 people so will have to have a marquee and may i ask what cost approx of the marquee? how did you find the venue for your wedding? thanks

Advertisement