Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend an overnight power solution here please.

Options
  • 07-04-2016 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

Hiya folks.
    I wonder can anyone offer me any suggestions or solutions to this issue.

I need some sort of portable power supply for camping which outputs power via a standard 3 pin plug. I am aware you can car jump start packs which have an outlet plug like this, but I need something with capacity and durability.

Has anyone got any suggestions or recommendations along these lines. Something along the lines of this from Halfords.

Many thanks to the MOD for allowing this and any replies (in advance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Hiya folks.
    I wonder can anyone offer me any suggestions or solutions to this issue.

I need some sort of portable power supply for camping which outputs power via a standard 3 pin plug. I am aware you can car jump start packs which have an outlet plug like this, but I need something with capacity and durability.

Has anyone got any suggestions or recommendations along these lines. Something along the lines of this from Halfords.

Many thanks to the MOD for allowing this and any replies (in advance)
    Most important question is what do you need to run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Most important question is what do you need to run?
    Its a machine called a CPAP. It monitors breathing and if it stops, it gently pressurizes air into a person. On the base it says 50-60 hz and .3 - .5 amps

If that makes any sense to you?

Its a machine called a CPAP. It monitors breathing and if it stops, it gently pressurizes air into a person. On the base it says 50-60 hz and .3 - .5 amps

If that makes any sense to you?

Yeah my friend has one for sleep apnea, he just pays for hookup when camping.

What model is yours a lot of these just turn mains into 12v or 24v anyway you're be better converting directly rather than converting to 12v - 240v back to 12v.

You need to know what the average consumption is overnight in order to size the battery you need. If you need a humidifier on then the ring one is probably undersized. Also bear in mind it will take 15 hour to put a full charge back into it with 12v.

Also the ring one you linked to is modified sinewave which lots of devices don't like.

If you're hooking up expensive electronics you'll generally want a reputable pure sine wave inverter.

Theres no specs on the ring inverter on standby consumption or efficiency. I would guess that it may use more power itself than the cpap machine.

My suggestion (if you actually need an inverter) would be run an proper true sine inverter from the car battery and if you'll be travelling without other vehicles carry a cheap booster pack in the unlikely event you flatten the car battery if there will be other vehicles around just bring booster cables.

Any battery pack you buy will have a finite battery life, and if you don't keep it charged when not in use that will be a short life.

For the number of days it would be used on the other hand it would have a neglible effect on the life of your car battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think for peace of mind I'd be going down the route of electric hookup in the tent. Most of my friends who use tents get the hookup.

I'd worry about connecting delicate equipment to cheap inverters and battery packs designed to start cars. there's bound to be a voltage drop with time and not all equipment copes too well with that..

• Advertisement

I am looking at a particular festival in the UK where hookups are not available and cars are not allowed on site. Also due to coming to the end of a difficult period, have a mad idea to hit the road in my van and see where I end up. Just pull over sleep and go on again.

I am lost looking at talk of sine waves and the like.

I am looking at a particular festival in the UK where hookups are not available and cars are not allowed on site. Also due to coming to the end of a difficult period, have a mad idea to hit the road in my van and see where I end up. Just pull over sleep and go on again.

I am lost looking at talk of sine waves and the like.

Tell me the model number of the cpap and I'll look into it further.

Tell me the model number of the cpap and I'll look into it further.

Apex xt auto WITHOUT dehumidifier.

Linky.

There's a member here runs one with a Sterling B2B charger and two Banner batteries. No idea about the inverter.

Apex xt auto WITHOUT dehumidifier.

Linky.

No 12v/24v option with that one you'd need an inverter alright.

Apex medical sell an inverter as an accessory-
    SF00011 is the part number for the 12V UK one that will run from car battery.

http://www.apexmedicalcorp.com/index.php?sn=4287&lang=en-global&n=198

Looks like a waeco 150w modified sinewave one to me.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waeco-9102600128-Mobitronic-PowerInverter-Socket/dp/B00FWL97HO

Also see another 150w modified sinewave inverter mentioned:
    http://www.batterypowersolutions.net/product/150-watt-modified-sine-wave-inverter

So it looks like pure sine isn't needed after all.

• Advertisement

Please excuse my stupidity here but got more questions.

That talks about charging the cpap battery. I dont have a battery - just a 3 pin plug, there is no battery on the CPAP itself. I see various inverters available which plug into the cig lighter and output via a 3 pin socket, but that needs me to be connected to the car/van. The camping venue I have in mind does allow the car to be on site itself.

The original item I linked to in the first post is a battery with converter set up. Does the specs I linked to in the last post show power consumption? If I go for one of the booster packs which are generally available, what power capacity would I need?

Thanks again.

No 12v/24v option with that one you'd need an inverter alright.

So it looks like pure sine isn't needed after all.

It has an internal SMPS.
    Does the specs I linked to in the last post show power consumption?

Not really, just max load 0.3A @ 230V = 69W
    Impossible to tell unless you measure it.
    If you had a Watt Meter you'd have a more realistic idea. Probably half that or even less. Then add 20% for inverter efficiency and another 50% after that for lead acid rules.
    If I go for one of the booster packs which are generally available, what power capacity would I need?

Worst case scenario, peak load for 10 hours, 150Ah @12v
    Then it's a matter of recharging which might take as long again.

Cigarette lighter inverters are dangerous. They're dreadful electrical connections. Ram it in good and tight if you must but I'd seek a hard wired solution.

If you add any leverage they start to vibrate loose and arc until they melt. Often they melt anyway because they've no thermal mass to conduct the heat away. I don't use them for more than 30W appliances.
    Usually the fuse is pressing a steel spring against the tip which in itself is a terrible conductor making high impedance path generating unnecessary heat.

I suppose if you got very very unlucky the spring could melt the fuse solder onto the fuse wire and make the fuse redundant.

I've a fine collection of melted plugs...most I ever put on them was 70W. Rated 10A too...

Please excuse my stupidity here but got more questions.

That talks about charging the cpap battery. I dont have a battery - just a 3 pin plug, there is no battery on the CPAP itself. I see various inverters available which plug into the cig lighter and output via a 3 pin socket, but that needs me to be connected to the car/van. The camping venue I have in mind does allow the car to be on site itself.

The original item I linked to in the first post is a battery with converter set up. Does the specs I linked to in the last post show power consumption? If I go for one of the booster packs which are generally available, what power capacity would I need?

Thanks again.

The sell a very expensive 24v lithium battery you can use to power a 24v inverter thats what they are referring to. Its 98wh battery so you'd be lucky if it lasted a night running the inverter with nothing connected.

Unfortunately the specs don't list power consumption.

You could I suppose try a plug in watt meter but they can be inaccurate at low wattages.

+1 to liam saying cigarette lighter are dangerous its a terrible recepticle the hella/din is much better but I am using a din 9680 now for the heavier things like 12v hair dryer, 12v compressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would one of the smaller Calor Gas powered generators be an option?

Will investigate that. Thanks

Generators are banned at most festivals even in the camper van areas, that would be the first thing to check.

By the way I saw resmed have a good guide that explains about inverters and battery sizes:
    http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/articles/198103_battery-guide_glo_eng.pdf

Looking at their figures for the s9 the estimated consumption is about a tenth of the rated wattage. If yours is anything like that you could run it off a battery pack ok.

Gas you say? Solutions you seek?

p031_1_01.png

Fuel Cell!

ralph.gif

Advertisement