Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish open marshelling

Options
  • 07-04-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just become a retiree and a golfer, and have some time to spare, What's the sp on Marshalling at the upcoming open. Do you get see much of the golf, any other pros/cons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dr Devious

Do you want to golf or do you want to marshal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chops1951

Don't want to golf, just if as a mashal do you get a chance to see the golf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

chops1951 wrote: »
    Don't want to golf, just if as a mashal do you get a chance to see the golf ?

Ironically, if you go to a golf tournament as a spectator, you don't really get to see much of the golf! You would get to see less as a Marshall as your movement around the course would be restricted, but you will have access to better vantage points.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It depends on where you're sent to do your marshalling but typically you'd be put on one spot and expected to stay there, unless you're given a scoreboard to carry around in which case you'd be stuck with the same group all day and they may not be lads you're interested in. Another potentially boring job would be manning a crossing point midway down the fairway, watching balls fly over your head all day! I'd expect that prospective marshals would need a letter of recommendation from a golf club secretary outlining previous experience at club or regional competitions...

For volunteer queries please contact the Chief Marshal at cmirishopen@gmail.com

http://www.dubaidutyfreeirishopen.com/contact/

It sounds to me like you're more interested in watching than in marshalling so why not just fork out the cash and go as a spectator?

Thanks,
    Thought there might be more to it than that.
    Apart from maybe seeing some of the golf,
    is there any further benefits that maybe forthcoming?
    Doesn't seem to be too apealling from what you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

chops1951 wrote: »
    is there any further benefits that maybe forthcoming?
    Doesn't seem to be too appealing from what you say

Think in Augusta marshals get a chance at playing the course, unfortunately the best you might hope for here is a free cap and a packet of cheese and onion

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Don't forget you get to stand directly in the way of paying spectators obscuring their view and telling them to keep quiet so you can continue chatting to your other marshalling buddies ;)

* On a serious note this is something I actually fancy trying sometime. I'm sure there is some sort of selection process but wouldn't imagine previous experience absolutely necessary from what I've seen over the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

I marshalled at few Irish Opens. Normally a group do one entire Hole and then change positions during the day. Teebox fairway Greenside.
    It is a long day the first 2 days shorter the last 2 days.
    Food is provided . But bring flask . Nice to have a cuppa if it is cold.
    You usually get a windbreaker top & tee shirt with the logo . And a free round on course later in the year.

I enjoyed it alot.

that sounds interesting

As far as i know it is generally organised through clubs. So clubs local to the venue will be asked to supply a number of volunteers to marshall.

Outside that im not sure how you get to do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

A good job is to be the score recorder ( standard bearer).
    Get your walkie talkie to call scores in and walk on fairways with the pro's.

Had a friend do it at Druids Glen and he enjoyed it.

Normally local clubs are asked for volunteers.

Nemesis wrote: »
    A good job is to be the score recorder ( standard bearer).
    Get your walkie talkie to call scores in and walk on fairways with the pro's.

Had a friend do it at Druids Glen and he enjoyed it.

Normally local clubs are asked for volunteers.

I did that donkeys years ago for the Irish pga when it was in woodbrook one year.

You have to watch everything so close and know the scores. I was only a kid, but recall confirming a score with a caddy and he wasn't best pleased I had to ask. I knew, but just wanted to double check as his man had been out on the other fairway and out of sight. Anyway, he was grand after and I was his best little bud by the end of it. I think he just though I was a kid with no idea at the start, but chatting with him he realised I was well clued into the game.

I got paid a fiver for my trouble :)....... Old money...... What's that????........€6.27 :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seve OB wrote: »
    I got paid a fiver for my trouble :)....... Old money...... What's that????........€6.27 :eek:

Sure that was a weeks wages when you were a young fella!!! :)

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Sure that was a weeks wages when you were a young fella!!! :)

It was most likely spent on 500 penny jellies :D

Advertisement